THE COACH Kevin Walters

How can one person **** our season in 2 games?
Just ask Kev…

gone from potential top 4 team to lucky to make the 8 due to his shithouse selections.

Turpin. Tesi.

Not Kev. Unless he picks them next week, then I think we change the thread title again.

losing to Newcastle will be unforgivable. If Niu plays again this year while we have other options, Kev needs to answer some questions.

there are a few more factors than the Niu selection that are out of kevs control so it’s not all on Kev:
The Reno injury
Herbie being out (he helped our forwards immeasurably)
Paix & TMM injuries when they were coming in to form.
gamble’s injury.

now we lost the heart and soul of our team in Carrigan and it really showed last night, he sets our line speed and gets the ball to Reno.

what Kev does need to answer for:
Auto selection of Riki
Bench rotations
Niu and Turpin
No edges on the bench.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevvie is playing a long game here. He’s giving some players a shot which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. He’s also trying to install some standards and if you stop them, you also run the risk of getting dropped.

I also suspect we’ve done the mid-season training (we had a training camp remember) and our players right now are feeling the effects of that.

Aside from Penrith and maybe the Cows, the rest of the top 8 is an even field. We’ve shown we’ve got an extra gear that I’m not sure other teams around us also have.

We are going so much better than expected and I expect us to bounce back this week after a nice rest which the team clearly needs. Tweak a couple of selections (this part is on Kevvie) and we are suddenly humming again and at the right time to peak. Don’t forget how good we looked just two weeks ago.

Let's talk about these "poor" selections of Kevvie's.

the only really questionable decision from the Roosters game was bringing Turpin back into the 17 at the expense of Paix.

of the other ones I see mentioned regularly:

Tesi over TMM - well TMM has literally only just recovered from injured ribs. I can understand Kevvie wanting to give him a run in the QLD Cup first, not to mention protecting him from the second grubbiest team in the league.

Gamble - appears to be injured. hasn't been in our extended team list and i don't think he has been playing QCup

Riki - Been one of our best over the last month, deserves his spot.

Flegler starting - 50/50 call. He's been good for us in either role, although i prefer him off the bench as i think he offers us better impact that the other options

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevvie is playing a long game here. He’s giving some players a shot which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. He’s also trying to install some standards and if you stop them, you also run the risk of getting dropped.

I also suspect we’ve done the mid-season training (we had a training camp remember) and our players right now are feeling the effects of that.

Aside from Penrith and maybe the Cows, the rest of the top 8 is an even field. We’ve shown we’ve got an extra gear that I’m not sure other teams around us also have.

We are going so much better than expected and I expect us to bounce back this week after a nice rest which the team clearly needs. Tweak a couple of selections (this part is on Kevvie) and we are suddenly humming again and at the right time to peak. Don’t forget how good we looked just two weeks ago.

Can you bottle this enthusiasm and sell it. I could use it.

Let's talk about these "poor" selections of Kevvie's.

the only really questionable decision from the Roosters game was bringing Turpin back into the 17 at the expense of Paix.

of the other ones I see mentioned regularly:

Tesi over TMM - well TMM has literally only just recovered from injured ribs. I can understand Kevvie wanting to give him a run in the QLD Cup first, not to mention protecting him from the second grubbiest team in the league.

Gamble - appears to be injured. hasn't been in our extended team list and i don't think he has been playing QCup

Riki - Been one of our best over the last month, deserves his spot.

Flegler starting - 50/50 call. He's been good for us in either role, although i prefer him off the bench as i think he offers us better impact that the other options
Mariner over Lee seems a bit funky too. Made sense in theory against the tigers but come on now

Mariner over Lee seems a bit funky too. Made sense in theory against the tigers but come on now

see i don't think so.

firstly we all know that in a couple of weeks Herbie will be taking that spot back.

we also all know exactly what Lee offers

I see what Kevvie was doing. giving Mariner a few weeks in the NRL as a reward for good performances in the QCup and to continue his development. It is also beneficial if he has a few weeks in the top grade in case we need to use him in the finals.

debuting him in a finals match is a risky proposition

see i don't think so.

firstly we all know that in a couple of weeks Herbie will be taking that spot back.

I see what Kevvie was doing. giving Mariner a few weeks in the NRL as a reward for good performances in the QCup and to continue his development. It is also beneficial if he has a few weeks in the top grade in case we need to use him in the finals.

Yeah all your points are reasonable points in isolation but they all add up and we lost both games.

I still think this is just the pattern this season. We will hopefully one more good run - maybe even time it to win our first finals game.

see i don't think so.

You don't get rewarded for trying hard in QCUP, you get a spot if you are the best option available. Dunno why the coach would be worried about a potential centre injury in the finals in round 20, either.

Let’s all pull our heads in a bit.

There is no doubt Kevvie is playing the long game. Tesi over TMM is a long game decision, Mariner over Lee is a long game decision.

Turpin made sense to me and even more so after having watched the game, his defense last night was there for all to see, we don't get that with Paix.

Yeah all your points are reasonable points in isolation but they all add up and we lost both games.
Brenko Lee isn't winning us those games mate.

He's only a step or two above potato level.

Turpin made sense to me and even more so after having watched the game, his defense last night was there for all to see, we don't get that with Paix.
Agree......and TBH, I'm questioning just what do we get with Paix? I haven't seen any remarkable achievement in attack from him...and he's actually becoming a liability in defence.

I think Billy should be "the" dummy half..... for now.
....and Tyson Gamble should be our utility. More options that Tyson can fill....plus he brings that mongrel attitude with him.

Starting Flegler for jensen
Dropping Lee for mariner
Picking Niu over TMM
Dropping Paix for Turpin
Starting Turpin over Billy
Playing Palasia for 10mins last week
Hetherington only averaging 27mins over the last 3 weeks?

Let’s all pull our heads in a bit.

There is no doubt Kevvie is playing the long game. Tesi over TMM is a long game decision, Mariner over Lee is a long game decision.

How is it a long game decision? Tesi won’t be fb next year, Walsh will. He will be in qcup.

We bought experienced depth to use it, as we have through majority of season with great success.

You don’t drop your starting hooker after 20 rounds for the bloke that should be playing qcup.

How is it a long game decision? Tesi won’t be fb next year, Walsh will. He will be in qcup.

We bought experienced depth to use it, as we have through majority of season with great success.

You don’t drop your starting hooker after 20 rounds for the bloke that should be playing qcup.

Tesi is still likely to be out back up fullback so still need to develop him.

Turpin in the 17 is a confusing decision but if he is, he's better starting to take the sting out of the defence. Then let Billy come on to take advantage

Lee has done a decent job but offered us nothing that Mariner hasn't.

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Organix
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • bazza
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.