THE COACH Kevin Walters

Tesi is still likely to be out back up fullback so still need to develop him.

Turpin in the 17 is a confusing decision but if he is, he's better starting to take the sting out of the defence. Then let Billy come on to take advantage

Lee has done a decent job but offered us nothing that Mariner hasn't.
I think Mariner has done himself proud but Ezra keep getting isolated in ways that weren’t happening when Lee was there

I think Mariner has done himself proud but Ezra keep getting isolated in ways that weren’t happening when Lee was there
It’s a combination, it takes time, but that’s why you don’t do it at the business end of the season.

I think Capewell’s defence has been pretty poor since origin too.

Hetherington only averaging 27mins over the last 3 weeks?
Thats gotta stop......

Is anyone seeing something I'm not RE Kobe...?

He's our modern day Peter Ryan or Trevor Gillmeister.
Has to be in the starting 13 IMO........

Emotion Reaction GIF

I reckon he looks as ready for first grade, if not more, than Herbie, Selwyn, Xavier and Tesi did on debut. But it's not a great time to blood a rookie and even worse for him that his debut has coincided with two woeful team performances.

I would probably bring back Lee until Herbie is well and truly fit, which is hopefully only two or three weeks away. Unlike fullback, that position has not improved in the incumbent's absence. We've missed his defence.

I reckon he looks as ready for first grade, if not more, than Herbie, Selwyn, Xavier and Tesi did on debut. But it's not a great time to blood a rookie and even worse for him that his debut has coincided with two woeful team performances.

I would probably bring back Lee until Herbie is well and truly fit, which is hopefully only two or three weeks away. Unlike fullback, that position has not improved in the incumbent's absence. We've missed his defence.
Yeah really interesting what happens with Oates, Cobbo, Mariner, Staggs, Herbie, Walsh, (Niu) next year. Maybe Ikin wanted to see Mariner get a run before committing long term.

I guess the logical conclusion is to slowly blood Mariner and resign to losing Herbie after next year

Yeah really interesting what happens with Oates, Cobbo, Mariner, Staggs, Herbie, Walsh, (Niu) next year. Maybe Ikin wanted to see Mariner get a run before committing long term.

I guess the logical conclusion is to slowly blood Mariner and resign to losing Herbie after next year
That's a tough one. From the small amount I've seen he probably has what it takes to leapfrog Herbie, but not this year, that's for sure. I guess it depends how serious Herbie was about playing fullback, and whether he gets his nose out of joint when Walsh arrives.

On the plus side, I think we can build a very decent back 5 out of Cobbo, Oates, Walsh, Staggs, Farnworth, Mariner and Niu. We're spoiled for options in every position other than hooker and utility.

That's a tough one. From the small amount I've seen he probably has what it takes to leapfrog Herbie, but not this year, that's for sure. I guess it depends how serious Herbie was about playing fullback, and whether he gets his nose out of joint when Walsh arrives.

On the plus side, I think we can build a very decent back 5 out of Cobbo, Oates, Walsh, Staggs, Farnworth, Mariner and Niu. We're spoiled for options in every position other than hooker and utility.
Can’t tell when your fishing but Herbie is the most inform (prior to injury) of our entire backline. Odd one to pinpoint but I know you’ve got your views on him

Can’t tell when your fishing but Herbie is the most inform (prior to injury) of our entire backline. Odd one to pinpoint but I know you’ve got your views on him
You must've misread that. I "pinpointed" Herbie because he and Deine play the same position. Herbie will slot straight back there when he returns from injury. I can forsee Deine overtaking him in talent some time in the future, but he's certainly not in that position now. Like I said, Herbie is safe where he is.

You must've misread that. I "pinpointed" Herbie because he and Deine play the same position.
Fair. But you could shuffle Staggs, Cobbo, and Mariner into any order and put forward. A decent argument

Really the team choice wasn't really why we lost. Tesi niu has had two shit games after 3 or 4 good ones. You can't blame kevy for sticking with him after TMM is coming back from injury. Turpin was solid against Parramatta and paix was god awful against the tigers. I actually thought turpin was the only one that turned up defensively for the first 20 minutes last might. The team selection bitching seems to come from the nancyboy bedwetters that have no idea. It's pnly natural after a massive surge in form this year that there's a correction or complacency. We have a young squad that other teams don't have and in the next 3 years Kevy is going to have us genuine contenders.

Let's talk about these "poor" selections of Kevvie's.

the only really questionable decision from the Roosters game was bringing Turpin back into the 17 at the expense of Paix.

of the other ones I see mentioned regularly:

Tesi over TMM - well TMM has literally only just recovered from injured ribs. I can understand Kevvie wanting to give him a run in the QLD Cup first, not to mention protecting him from the second grubbiest team in the league.

Gamble - appears to be injured. hasn't been in our extended team list and i don't think he has been playing QCup

Riki - Been one of our best over the last month, deserves his spot.

Flegler starting - 50/50 call. He's been good for us in either role, although i prefer him off the bench as i think he offers us better impact that the other options
TMM has been 18th man 2 weeks in a row, suggesting he is fine to play.

Kevvie wants him to play cup this week, but not last week? He was 18th man and ready to play if needed…

TMM has been 18th man 2 weeks in a row, suggesting he is fine to play.

Kevvie wants him to play cup this week, but not last week? He was 18th man and ready to play if needed…
My issue is exactly that. Kev has dropped the ball on this, i wonder if the squad knows it too

Posts slamming Kev for not picking TMM and instead picking Tesi (and that type of thing) really have to calm down. I'm not defending Tesi though. Basically every one of us here can see we are a better team with TMM at the back. Does anybody really, I mean really, think KW can't see this too?
Reality is we have no clue what goes on behind closed doors, and what is behind some team selections that we deem strange. There are reasons, we just don't know them.
It might be KW has seen the Knights game a week or 2 away, and thought, yeah give him a bit of extra time off to make sure he is 100% and then bring him back into a game we will win. Will be good for his confidence, and we can build off that to a strong run home. Who knows? Could be anything. But I cannot believe that a career league player/coach can't see what us average Joe's can see.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Mustafur
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • cento
  • Morkel
  • Nerd
  • Footy Fanatic
  • BroncosAlways
  • bazza
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Brocko
  • Stix
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Jazza
  • dasherhalo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncsgoat
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.