THE COACH Kevin Walters

Is there any argument to be had here that the broncos QLD cup model of spreading talent amongst teams is detrimental ?

I've long held the opinion that we should at the very least go back to the days of having all our fringe/depth players in the one affiliate QLD cup team.

although my preferred option is to have a club own a club in the QLD cup, so we can have complete control. that way there is consistent systems all the way through the ranks. makes the next man up philosophy easier. this would be one thing where our wealth could actually be used to our benefit.

People Love to shit on Gould because he says alot of stupid shit and I guess that's fair, but the job he did at Penrith is the best youth recruitment and pathway development the game has ever seen, It will probably take awhile for it to get going at Bulldogs but don't be surprised if they become the new Penrith in 5 years or so, It's a shame he wasn't able to Stay at the Warriors though I think that would of helped the game more overall.

I mean we could of signed him as well but that would of required actual intelligence from the board, with our resources and area we cover, we could make Penrith look like a park footy team.

Is there any argument to be had here that the broncos QLD cup model of spreading talent amongst teams is detrimental ?

I am not fully against it; the problem is the Queensland Cup is an actual Queensland wide competition that grows the game- NSWRL still have the same teams all covering the same 10kms of Sydney from 100 years ago and haven't grown the game/competition at all in New South Wales.

So, do the Broncos take over a team? Or do the QRL put a new team in, and the Broncos say we will run it? If the QRL put a new team in they're not going to put it in Brisbane- so are the Broncos going to run a team away from Brisbane?

I think given the fact you need a team which would prove problematic and there isn't one on the horizon, the Broncos need to focus more on having a say in the running of Souths, Norths and Wynnum- coaching, players, PD for coaches and players and staff.

If they want to continue with the model of two state leagues under the NRL then they should allow QLD teams to have a NSW cup squad as well, since there are NSW teams in QLD.

I am not fully against it; the problem is the Queensland Cup is an actual Queensland wide competition that grows the game- NSWRL still have the same teams all covering the same 10kms of Sydney from 100 years ago and haven't grown the game/competition at all in New South Wales.

So, do the Broncos take over a team? Or do the QRL put a new team in, and the Broncos say we will run it? If the QRL put a new team in they're not going to put it in Brisbane- so are the Broncos going to run a team away from Brisbane?

I think given the fact you need a team which would prove problematic and there isn't one on the horizon, the Broncos need to focus more on having a say in the running of Souths, Norths and Wynnum- coaching, players, PD for coaches and players and staff.

Any reason Brisbane couldn't just say, hey we will take over Wynnum or Norths (or insert different close by Brisbane existing side) and put the onus on the QRL to introduce another team themselves? I know this isn't in the QRL's interests to support the Broncs but let's be honest, very few people care about that comp if it isn't serving as a feeder comp into the NRL, therefore it is in the QRL's interests if we are going down that road.

Any reason Brisbane couldn't just say, hey we will take over Wynnum or Norths (or insert different close by Brisbane existing side) and put the onus on the QRL to introduce another team themselves? I know this isn't in the QRL's interests to support the Broncs but let's be honest, very few people care about that comp if it isn't serving as a feeder comp into the NRL.

Why would Wynnum who are rolling in money and producing players walk away and say yeah after 90 years we were getting a bit sick of this.

For Wynnum to put the for sale sign up would take more money I imagine than the Broncos are interested in investing or possibly even have.

If they want to continue with the model of two state leagues under the NRL then they should allow QLD teams to have a NSW cup squad as well, since there are NSW teams in QLD.
I feel like if the qrl doesn't best serve broncos needs then we should look at all possibilities. I know Ikin loves the qrl and qcup but in his role now the Broncos best interest should be his and donuts priority. Ideally you want to do that in qld. Given our location at red hill, I like the idea of west's panthers back in cup acting as our single feeder for reserves and colts. As things stand our model is so far away from the Penrith model its not funny. We've already dropped down the pecking order of nrl and may just get worse if other clubs bother to invest and replicate what Penrith do because the nsw system supports that approach.

The Brisbane Broncos in the QCup would be sikk! If only because It would really stick it up the noses of the old boys lol.

Why would Wynnum who are rolling in money and producing players walk away and say yeah after 90 years we were getting a bit sick of this.

For Wynnum to put the for sale sign up would take more money I imagine than the Broncos are interested in investing or possibly even have.
It's true they wouldn't just walk away from it, and to be clear I am also against the idea, I think we need a single team

But to suggest that Wynnum etc are rolling in money because they are a qld cup team is delusional at best. It's their leagues clubs that make the money. The qld cup team would be a financial burden, one they wouldn't let go of mind you due to local community backlash.

I think the broncos are dammed if they do,or damned if they don't. Cut the qld cup teams mean they might lose some supporters and some talent here and there, but if they keep it this way they will continually fall behind with the nrl, leading to an even bigger loss of fans I believe.

One thing everyone understands is money. Broncos have 3 options to keep up and I'll list them from best to worst.

1. Pay multiple qld cup teams a fee and provide resources BUT all Broncos contracted players play out of 1 club with Broncos giving huge bonuses to every club that produces talent to continue to encourage player development until they change qrl clubs

2. Play them out ofmultiple clubs but attempt to group them better,& stick to it!eg left sided, right sided, middles. Not a perfect system but at least they will get to know their defensive partners where possible

3. Make our own qld cup team. Would piss off the qld cup teams but given how the nrl are talking they need our backing to against the "national reserve grade"

Just bring back u20s I used to love watching that
That was essentially Jersey Flegg but with QLD teams as well, I think if we want to use a comp like that to bridge the gap it should be U23, ofcourse nothing would stop the NSW teams from promoting the better players to NSW Cup and reducing the quality of the competition, unless they had some rule that players eligible for it couldn't go to the 2nd tier(Qcup/NSWcup) unless they where above the age 23 so if they wanted to promote the player it has to be straight to first grade or they stay in the U23. This will most likely give a big rise to alot of young players in the game but I bet alot of teams will protest this.

This would hurt older players trying to crack into first grade sure, but it would promote young talent above all else coming through.

It's true they wouldn't just walk away from it, and to be clear I am also against the idea, I think we need a single team

But to suggest that Wynnum etc are rolling in money because they are a qld cup team is delusional at best. It's their leagues clubs that make the money. The qld cup team would be a financial burden, one they wouldn't let go of mind you due to local community backlash.

I think the broncos are dammed if they do,or damned if they don't. Cut the qld cup teams mean they might lose some supporters and some talent here and there, but if they keep it this way they will continually fall behind with the nrl, leading to an even bigger loss of fans I believe.

One thing everyone understands is money. Broncos have 3 options to keep up and I'll list them from best to worst.

1. Pay multiple qld cup teams a fee and provide resources BUT all Broncos contracted players play out of 1 club with Broncos giving huge bonuses to every club that produces talent to continue to encourage player development until they change qrl clubs

2. Play them out ofmultiple clubs but attempt to group them better,& stick to it!eg left sided, right sided, middles. Not a perfect system but at least they will get to know their defensive partners where possible

3. Make our own qld cup team. Would piss off the qld cup teams but given how the nrl are talking they need our backing to against the "national reserve grade"

Any Leagues Club CEO will tell you the biggest trading days are football days. Leagues Clubs need the football too.

Do you think Dolphins made more money last week with 8000 at the Grand Final and Dolphins playing in two games or the following Saturday with no football on and Sarah's 21st upstairs?

Why do you think they build the leagues Club a metre from the sideline?

I have never met anyone that hated Toowoomba being the Broncos team- maybe Toowoomba people because they saw it as a slight on them, but players and staff liked it. Not sure where you're getting that from.

I have said it before I am pretty as close as you can be to certain the QRL are not putting another Brisbane team in. It would hold no growth value to the game.

just out of interest are any of the QLD Cup Clubs in SE QLD struggling financially?

just out of interest are any of the QLD Cup Clubs in SE QLD struggling financially?

I would say Souths and Ipswich would be the 'poorest' for want of a better word. Toowoomba should be alright.

Any Leagues Club CEO will tell you the biggest trading days are football days. Leagues Clubs need the football too.

Do you think Dolphins made more money last week with 8000 at the Grand Final and Dolphins playing in two games or the following Saturday with no football on and Sarah's 21st upstairs?

Why do you think they build the leagues Club a metre from the sideline?

I have never met anyone that hated Toowoomba being the Broncos team- maybe Toowoomba people because they saw it as a slight on them, but players and staff liked it. Not sure where you're getting that from.

I have said it before I am pretty as close as you can be to certain the QRL are not putting another Brisbane team in. It would hold no growth value to the game.
That's not exactly breaking news. Of course ANY local event with a few thousand people will bring in more business to a leagues club. I don't think any of the above scenarios mean they need to lose that. In fact, the biggest drawing game year after year for cup teams is a broncos trial if it's given to them. And good example, the crowd at a qld cup grand final at the biggest club in the qld cup who have got an nrl team next year, how many qld cup games draw 8000? And who said anything about taking games away from their stadium near their leagues clubs?

That's not exactly breaking news. Of course ANY local event with a few thousand people will bring in more business to a leagues club. I don't think any of the above scenarios mean they need to lose that. In fact, the biggest drawing game year after year for cup teams is a broncos trial if it's given to them. And good example, the crowd at a qld cup grand final at the biggest club in the qld cup who have got an nrl team next year, how many qld cup games draw 8000? And who said anything about taking games away from their stadium near their leagues clubs?

You claimed the football is a drain on the Leagues Club- it isn't, and I just gave an example of the football very much helping the Leagues Club and why they build them on the football ground- they help each other.

It clearly was breaking news to you.

You claimed the football is a drain on the Leagues Club- it isn't, and I just gave an example of the football very much helping the Leagues Club and why they build them on the football ground- they help each other.

It clearly was breaking news to you.
Please bring me that quote, I'd love to read it. The leagues Club makes money, the qld cup team doesn't. That's what I said, I didn't say the qld cup team drains the leagues Club, that's a ridiculous statement haha.. Having qld cup games near the leagues Club does not mean the qld cup team needs to be owned by the club, the broncos could continue, and would likely continue, to play them there as part of any deal. Therefore the leagues Club would not lose that revenue anyway.

As I said, I'm not a fan of this choice, but to insinuate the football department of 3rd best rugby league competition in Australian is making them so rich the broncos couldn't afford to buy it is RIDICULOUS. Ypu get rid of the pokies and every single "rich" qld cup team would be bankrupt bar maybe redcliffe and any others that have a large amount of other commercial ventures.
I get you love the qld cup, I like it to and it's tradition but it's gotta move on with the times if it wants to continue to be relevant for the vast majority of Queenslanders.

Please bring me that quote, I'd love to read it. The leagues Club makes money, the qld cup team doesn't. That's what I said, I didn't say the qld cup team drains the leagues Club, that's a ridiculous statement haha.. Having qld cup games near the leagues Club does not mean the qld cup team needs to be owned by the club, the broncos could continue, and would likely continue, to play them there as part of any deal. Therefore the leagues Club would not lose that revenue anyway.

As I said, I'm not a fan of this choice, but to insinuate the football department of 3rd best rugby league competition in Australian is making them so rich the broncos couldn't afford to buy it is RIDICULOUS. Ypu get rid of the pokies and every single "rich" qld cup team would be bankrupt bar maybe redcliffe and any others that have a large amount of other commercial ventures.
I get you love the qld cup, I like it to and it's tradition but it's gotta move on with the times if it wants to continue to be relevant for the vast majority of Queenslanders.

Problem is you don't know what you're saying and talk anyway- you claimed the football team was a financial burden- I pointed out that the football team isn't a burden/drain it brings people in and gave the example of Redcliffe last week where the football made them a lot of money.

I also pointed out why do you think clubs put the field right there- because it makes them money- people going to the football makes everyone money.

You are wrong football is not a burden at all.

Active Now

• Splinter
  • winslow_wong
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • mystico
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Locky field goal
  • Thelmus
  • Fitzy
  • ell.d33
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brocko
  • Financeguy
  • TonyTheJugoslav
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.