THE COACH Kevin Walters

Me neither, but I'm "no" for now. The team is pretty solid on attitude.

I was thinking about how far we've come from the Miford/Lodge/TPJ/Glenn/Boyd days where we seemed a bunch of misfits only turning up for a paycheque. Where we rolled out a different spine each week.

It's a heck of a good sign we're fielding the same team three or four weeks in a row and we're really only nitpicking one fill-in bench player.
Kev seems to be finding his stride in regards to head coaching. I had a skim through some of my earliest posts in this thread and I think they were all fairly reasonable but so far this season a lot of my criticisms are not present. I’m not completely convinced yet after what occurred last year. Our defence is far improved which is good, our attack is exciting but very unstructured. It looks vulnerable to me but Kev may be a genius by letting the team just play footy as long as they turn up and defend their mistakes.

Its the exact opposite approach of Seibold who tried an overly intellectual approach to a dumb man’s game

Time obviously will tell whether the fade out was the outlier or not by what happens late this season but the way he has galvanised the side after that last year, chicken sandwich moronness and the Haas stupidity, he appears to be doing an excellent job, that is hard to argue on current evidence. Of course he isn't the only one doing it but he seems to have the team in a great place and that is all you can ask.

Arthars press conference on re-signing was interesting too, he said he loves the club and despite other offers, this is where he wants to be, so the culture is clearly in a good place. Walsh was very quick to praise Kev for his form. Now IF Haas is announced as re-signed, I think that to me is the final piece in the puzzle to confirm that Kev is the man to lead us forward which right now, is looking like he is.

Love to think Kevin is doing all the coaching, if so he’s learnt a lot in a short while.

Love to think Kevin is doing all the coaching, if so he’s learnt a lot in a short while.
He's not, but that's okay too. Who he appoints or delegates to is part of the job.

Time obviously will tell whether the fade out was the outlier or not by what happens late this season but the way he has galvanised the side after that last year, chicken sandwich moronness and the Haas stupidity, he appears to be doing an excellent job, that is hard to argue on current evidence. Of course he isn't the only one doing it but he seems to have the team in a great place and that is all you can ask.

Arthars press conference on re-signing was interesting too, he said he loves the club and despite other offers, this is where he wants to be, so the culture is clearly in a good place. Walsh was very quick to praise Kev for his form. Now IF Haas is announced as re-signed, I think that to me is the final piece in the puzzle to confirm that Kev is the man to lead us forward which right now, is looking like he is.
Everything is good while we're winning, and even better while we're top of the table. But you only have to read the transcript of the last few live threads to see how fickle folk are when we're falling behind.

I agree: Haas is a massive litmus test, but so was Patty and his extension was above and beyond expectation. If (one of ) Madden, Mozer or Mam don't turn out, playing behind a pack with Patty and Payne, and electric backs like Selwyn, Kotoni and Reece would be an attractive proposition for any half or hooker.

Regardless of the outcome of this season I wouldn’t say the fade out was an outlier. It was an embarrassing lesson to a young squad and an inexperienced coach. It seems that they have all learned from it but time will tell as this season unfolds.

Part of the success comes down to the extremely talented young players that Seibold rushed in to full time first grade roles finally coming of age (50+ games, 23+ years old). Once they debuted part of the coaches role was to just ride out the tough times until they matured. We got lucky having Walsh return after he bailed, and weren’t able to hold onto Fifita, Coates, and Dearden but Patty, Haas, Staggs, Flegler, and Farnworth have all become very good and consistent first graders. Riki is almost there too. Currently we are going through this process with Cobbo, Mam and to a lesser extent Walsh.

What is undeniable is that our defence has significantly improved, team selections are far less erratic, bench usage is better but not great, and media appearances are far more professional. Kev deserves a wrap for those things for sure.

Just wanted to make a point and this seemed where to make it. I always judge coaching on improvement and two things have stood out to me in the first month.

Piakura last week made a huge effort- massive. Madden kicked the ball from halfway and Piakura sprinted 55m to score while Sailor stuffed around. It won't show up on anything just recorded as a try but there is no way he makes that effort 12 months ago. He sits back and jogs down and maybe makes a tackle or misses a tackle depending on his mood.

Then the effort Mariner is making to broaden his attack, he did a run round one that he wouldn't have done last year. He came off his own line took the hit and came through the other side. Again, no way he does that last season. Just sit back and wait for good ball and score three tries.

Kevvie is coaching effort and two guys not even in the NRL side are showing they are improving and wanting effort. It's even better they're not there because they know Kevvie probably doesn't see this, but I am making effort.

Two stand outs for me in the first month that show a systematic change.

Just wanted to make a point and this seemed where to make it. I always judge coaching on improvement and two things have stood out to me in the first month.

Piakura last week made a huge effort- massive. Madden kicked the ball from halfway and Piakura sprinted 55m to score while Sailor stuffed around. It won't show up on anything just recorded as a try but there is no way he makes that effort 12 months ago. He sits back and jogs down and maybe makes a tackle or misses a tackle depending on his mood.

Then the effort Mariner is making to broaden his attack, he did a run round one that he wouldn't have done last year. He came off his own line took the hit and came through the other side. Again, no way he does that last season. Just sit back and wait for good ball and score three tries.

Kevvie is coaching effort and two guys not even in the NRL side are showing they are improving and wanting effort. It's even better they're not there because they know Kevvie probably doesn't see this, but I am making effort.

Two stand outs for me in the first month that show a systematic change.
Talent and skill are all well and good, but it's the effort that will win games. Especially at the pointy end of the season. This is so pleasing, as a fan, to see and hear.

I changed my vote to one more year. However, if we freefall again post Origin I may change my vote back.

A 1 year contract exention should be applied automatically everytime we beat Melbourne.

This news would have been better after we beat them.

Give Kevvie the respect he deserves, this is the club he inherited after fraud-bold, look at how diabolical it looked when he took over:

Their takes on Kevvie look bad as **** lmao.

Keep in mind this pie in a sky 3 years from 2021 is next year, **** we could win it this year.

Give Kevvie the respect he deserves, this is the club he inherited after fraud-bold, look at how diabolical it looked when he took over:

Their takes on Kevvie look bad as **** lmao.

Keep in mind this pie in a sky 3 years from 2021 is next year, **** we could win it this year.

Not sure how much of the credit Kevvie deserves, but if we were losing he'd be the one copping it, whether unfairly or not. So full credit to the coach.

A big part of the reason we're doing so well is we're at full strength nearly every week. Barely any suspensions or injuries. If there's a person somehow responsible for any of that, they deserve massive praise.

Not sure how much of the credit Kevvie deserves, but if we were losing he'd be the one copping it, whether unfairly or not. So full credit to the coach.

A big part of the reason we're doing so well is we're at full strength nearly every week. Barely any suspensions or injuries. If there's a person somehow responsible for any of that, they deserve massive praise.

Big dick Dave Donaghue. Probably deserves a statue outside Suncorp.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Tim K
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.