THE COACH Kevin Walters

Yes.
"The Broncos have given high-level backing for coach Kevin Walters to target former Brisbane assistant Steve Kearney in the wake of his decision to quit the Melbourne Storm. News Corp can reveal Brisbane officialdom are keen for Kearney to return to Red Hill to support Walters"

Corey Parker:
“It’s a no-brainer for the Broncos to get Steve Kearney back. Steve was at the Broncos at the back end of my career and he is a super individual. I can‘t speak highly enough of Steve. One of the best qualities about Steve is that he cares about players, he has great principles and it’s no surprise Craig Bellamy valued him so highly at the Storm. I don‘t know if he wants to continue to coach, but he would be a great asset for the Broncos.”​
“First and foremost, Steve is a really good human being. Secondly, he is a very good coach with a great temperament. I only had him as an assistant at the Broncos and he was terrific in that role. He has a good temperament in regards to upholding standards and values, but also instilling those values with a loving smile about him."​
“For whatever reason, it didn’t work when he was head coach at Parramatta, but he won a World Cup with New Zealand, he took the Warriors to the finals and he is a terrific person for any organisation. He has just about done it all in coaching. If Steve Kearney is available, I’d be jumping all over him if I was at the Broncos.”​
I think Kearny would be a great addition. A massive step up from Matterson.

He’s proven to be a fairly decent assistant coach and has worked on defence for some really impressive teams. Storm, GF era broncos. He’s also notoriously the nicest guy in rugby league and players tend to really respect him. Obviously not too cut out for the head coaching gig though.

Without causing things to kick off again, I still don’t think we have a premiership winning coach steering the ship but if we snag Kearny I think we’ll at least be able to make the finals consistently with who we have and it would demonstrate an attempt to solve our defensive stinkiness.

As long as he never ends up head coach if shit goes belly up, from head coach standards I rate him at the same level as Barrett.

Walters:

“I’m very excited. Once the season was finished we digested what happened. We identified a couple of areas that we need to get better in and we’re working hard on that. You’re always striving to get better, whether you come first or last. Everyone is trying to get better, from recruitment to staff to the players and making sure the program is working for them. I saw it as a learning period for all of us, including myself. We possibly got a bit ahead of ourselves to some degree, I don’t know."​
“We finished where we did, ninth with 13 wins and 11 losses. I’m trying to look at that more so than dissecting the season. We had some really good moments and some others where we need to get better. Unfortunately that was the back end of the year."​
“Being at the Broncos … it’s a very unique club. We’ve got to keep our feet on the ground and continue to work hard to get to where we want to go.”​
“Ben and I certainly are on the same page. We played a lot of footy together and won premierships together. Our objective now is to win another premiership now. We acknowledged from both of our perspectives things needed to improve and are now moving forward together. Our communication lines are well and truly working now. It’s all systems go for us. The board is on board and Dave has been great for myself and the players and a real tower of strength.”​
"No, I'm not anxious about my position. From the day I walked in here I understood it’s going to be tough. Coaching in the NRL is tough. You talk to all the coaches. Whether you’re Wayne Bennett with 800-900 games, Craig Bellamy through to the guys like myself and Justin Holbrook. It’s a tough gig but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else than here working at the Broncos to get the club to improve each year."​
“Every year is big, particularly in the NRL as a head coach. You want your team to do well, win more games than you lose and be there in the finals. You want to see improvement in the place. My goal hasn’t changed around premierships. That’s what I’m here for – to bring that attitude."​
“Can I get better as a coach? I certainly can. I’m two years into what I believe will be a long-term career here at the Broncos. As long as we continue to improve and our players are wanting to stay, and we’re providing an environment for them to improve and get better in, that’s what I see my role as.​
“If we get all those ingredients right, everything else like the premierships will come. We’re not there yet, but we’re heading in the right direction for that to be a genuine reality for us.”​
“I speak to Craig and Wayne, all those influences. Ricky Stuart is another confidant I speak to. They’re all fighting their own little battles. I’ve got a good support network there as well as the people here. Benny Ikin and Dave Donaghy have been really good along with all the staff. We know where we want to get to. It’s about putting the steps in place and continuing the momentum we’ve built over the last couple of years.”​
“2023 will certainly be different. Our defence fell away in the back half of the season so that is an area we need to get better with. We’re going to change our defensive structures, particularly our edge defence. We were okay through the middle but not at a standard that will get us into the top four or that premiership space. We’re maturing as a group and coming together. We can’t speed that up in any way. We are a team that’s growing together. We’ve got some experienced players in ‘Reyno’ and ‘Capes’ but the rest of the squad is still learning about themselves and how to be an exceptional NRL player. The staff are working with them to help them grow in that space."​
“A lot of these guys are coming into that 50-100 games mark where you find your feet in the NRL and either make it or slip out the back. The progress we made this year was very encouraging.​
“This is a good period for the players and coaching staff to put in a lot of hard and smart work in, but also have a bit of fun, because that’s what footy is about. We are refreshed and ready to go again, 2022 is in the rear vision mirror now, we are looking forward to 2023.”​

Walters:

“I’m very excited. Once the season was finished we digested what happened. We identified a couple of areas that we need to get better in and we’re working hard on that. You’re always striving to get better, whether you come first or last. Everyone is trying to get better, from recruitment to staff to the players and making sure the program is working for them. I saw it as a learning period for all of us, including myself. We possibly got a bit ahead of ourselves to some degree, I don’t know."​
“We finished where we did, ninth with 13 wins and 11 losses. I’m trying to look at that more so than dissecting the season. We had some really good moments and some others where we need to get better. Unfortunately that was the back end of the year."​
“Being at the Broncos … it’s a very unique club. We’ve got to keep our feet on the ground and continue to work hard to get to where we want to go.”​
“Ben and I certainly are on the same page. We played a lot of footy together and won premierships together. Our objective now is to win another premiership now. We acknowledged from both of our perspectives things needed to improve and are now moving forward together. Our communication lines are well and truly working now. It’s all systems go for us. The board is on board and Dave has been great for myself and the players and a real tower of strength.”​
"No, I'm not anxious about my position. From the day I walked in here I understood it’s going to be tough. Coaching in the NRL is tough. You talk to all the coaches. Whether you’re Wayne Bennett with 800-900 games, Craig Bellamy through to the guys like myself and Justin Holbrook. It’s a tough gig but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else than here working at the Broncos to get the club to improve each year."​
“Every year is big, particularly in the NRL as a head coach. You want your team to do well, win more games than you lose and be there in the finals. You want to see improvement in the place. My goal hasn’t changed around premierships. That’s what I’m here for – to bring that attitude."​
“Can I get better as a coach? I certainly can. I’m two years into what I believe will be a long-term career here at the Broncos. As long as we continue to improve and our players are wanting to stay, and we’re providing an environment for them to improve and get better in, that’s what I see my role as.​
“If we get all those ingredients right, everything else like the premierships will come. We’re not there yet, but we’re heading in the right direction for that to be a genuine reality for us.”​
“I speak to Craig and Wayne, all those influences. Ricky Stuart is another confidant I speak to. They’re all fighting their own little battles. I’ve got a good support network there as well as the people here. Benny Ikin and Dave Donaghy have been really good along with all the staff. We know where we want to get to. It’s about putting the steps in place and continuing the momentum we’ve built over the last couple of years.”​
“2023 will certainly be different. Our defence fell away in the back half of the season so that is an area we need to get better with. We’re going to change our defensive structures, particularly our edge defence. We were okay through the middle but not at a standard that will get us into the top four or that premiership space. We’re maturing as a group and coming together. We can’t speed that up in any way. We are a team that’s growing together. We’ve got some experienced players in ‘Reyno’ and ‘Capes’ but the rest of the squad is still learning about themselves and how to be an exceptional NRL player. The staff are working with them to help them grow in that space."​
“A lot of these guys are coming into that 50-100 games mark where you find your feet in the NRL and either make it or slip out the back. The progress we made this year was very encouraging.​
“This is a good period for the players and coaching staff to put in a lot of hard and smart work in, but also have a bit of fun, because that’s what footy is about. We are refreshed and ready to go again, 2022 is in the rear vision mirror now, we are looking forward to 2023.”​
There is an air of cooperation, collaboration and forward momentum in many of the remarks Kevvie makes here.

It does suggest 2023 will be better than 2022 but that it is still laying a platform for 2024.

I'm afraid I'm going to need us to win a lot of games before I take notice of anything Kevvie says.
I'm fairly confident that we will win more than we lose. Put it thisway, I'm convinced the "Pies' days are well and truly behind us.

And if our new defensive structures that Kev mentions work, then we'll win more than we did last year too.

I'm fairly confident that we will win more than we lose. Put it thisway, I'm convinced the "Pies' days are well and truly behind us.

And if our new defensive structures that Kev mentions work, then we'll win more than we did last year too.
He talks a good game, but every preseason I (we all) get sucked down this same hole of thinking something seismic has happened since the beltings we received the year before. We even talk ourselves into believing the trials don't matter. **** it. I'm sitting on the fence until I see us thrash the Cowboys, or something similar.

Hey anything is possible, the Samoan coach just took a side with Milford in the spine to a World Cup final.
Karl Oloapoopoo is heart-broken they snubbed him and went with Milford:

"My dream for as long as I can remember has been to play for Samoa and I have shed a lot of tears over how things have ended up… probably too many tears. They gave me a chicken sandwich and that was it - we were shown the door… it didn't feel right."​
Anthony Milford:

Where'd you get that chicken sandwich?​

"My dream for as long as I can remember has been to play for Samoa and I have shed a lot of tears over how things have ended up… probably too many tears. They gave me a chicken sandwich and that was it - we were shown the door… it didn't feel right."​
Anthony Milford:

“That wasn’t a mcchicken was it?
I miss the broncos “

He talks a good game, but every preseason I (we all) get sucked down this same hole of thinking something seismic has happened since the beltings we received the year before. We even talk ourselves into believing the trials don't matter. **** it. I'm sitting on the fence until I see us thrash the Cowboys, or something similar.

I want to hear about how anything other than top eight is a failure. Because this year is it for me with Kev - he has been given all the pieces for success, now bloody coach them to some success. Scraping into eight won’t cut it for mine.

All I want to know is who is, who is having a big pre-season and is fitter and stronger than ever? Is someone training the house down?

Anthony Milford:

I think Milf is more of a Turduken kinda guy .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

I once heard that when Milford found out Subway was supposed to be "healthy", he added triple cheese and half a salt shaker.

Unread

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Allo
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.