NEWS Kevin Walters interview

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China? I don't recall Bennett holding court here on why a player he's never met let alone worked with can't get back into form and citing the bloody suburb they grew up in as justification.

Give it a spell abashii. Were you under a rock when Benji Marshall lamented on how lazy Milford was at training? A player of Benji's experience and character doesn't just say shit like that for no reason.

Milf is going to be 27 next year, yet I still feel like he's being talked about as a rookie with potential - "Oh, he just needs a different coach". How many actual quality players play like shit depending on who their coach is? Maybe 19 year old players do, but not players in the 2nd half of their careers.

Kev has to go all in on Milf for 2021 because he was and is our marquee player. He has to back him 100% in order to get his confidence up and have no excuses not to perform. If he doesn't fire, we have $1 million to go after a marquee signing for 2022. We won't need to punt him off to another club and pay half his wage, we can literally wipe our hands of him and use the full value elsewhere. Even if he does fire, past experience (you would hope) would tell them that $1 million for Milford is not worth it, he can be someone else's part-time performer on big dollars and we can get someone reliable and proven.
Yeah totally agree. I hope Kevvie gives him the captaincy. If it fails it won't be Kevvie's fault, you can't really criticize a coach for giving the C to his most experienced player and million dollar half. That should be a straight forward decision in a team full of kids.

Milf is going to be 27 next year, yet I still feel like he's being talked about as a rookie with potential - "Oh, he just needs a different coach". How many actual quality players play like shit depending on who their coach is? Maybe 19 year old players do, but not players in the 2nd half of their careers.
Yeah as of right now I prefer they move on from him. If he fires do the club take the risk that it wasn't just a contract year performance? I don't think it's worth it given how bad he has been (unless he accepts half of what he is on which is unlikely). It'd have to be a phenomenal year with evidence that it is repeatable and a huge change in attitude and leadership capabilities.

Almost every player played like shit under Seibold. A good coach makes a big difference, both to individual performances, combinations, and the team overall. Bennett couldn't have shown that more clearly in Origin this year. I fully expect Walters to do the same, or close to it.

Last edited:
Kev has again made it appear like very little signing news is to be expected. The fact he named our fullback options implies Allen isn’t coming.

Anyone thinking we are playing coy and the deafening silence from our club is to secretly bring Cam in when he’s ready to announce it can knock that theory on the head too.

Kev has again made it appear like very little signing news is to be expected. The fact he named our fullback options implies Allen isn’t coming.

Anyone thinking we are playing coy and the deafening silence from our club is to secretly bring Cam in when he’s ready to announce it can knock that theory on the head too.

I'm not too concerned with bringing in players for 2021, because i don't believe that is a good market. we need to focus on who we can sign for 2022.

on Allen, i'm not sold on him being what we need.

Cam Smith was never signing with us, and it sounds like Kevvie never considered it anyway. He'll retire a one club player. I would love us to reach out to him and get him in to work with our young hookers

I don't think many fans at all thought the club was playing coy, they are hopelessly out of their depth to be able to do that.

Milford is never going to be that player. Dearden has to run the show, publicly showing faith in him & giving him that certainty would be good for the kids confidence after a tough season.

Whatever Kevvie does he needs to be decisive, no wishy washy language, players need to know where they stand and they will respect him for it.
That was a perfect interview from Kevvie. Dearden is a kid. He just needs to keep improving. Putting all the faith on him would not be fair.

While I do think we aren’t signing anyone what exactly did you expect him to say “our options that we are looking at for fullback are Isaako, Niu and Corey Allan, oops sorry forget I said that”

I want to believe.....I really do...

The issue is; can Kev get into Milfs head and get HIM to turn his career around?

Few players would have scored the try he did against Souths in round 2....

I want to believe
He did it in 2015. If anyone can it's Kevvie. I am backing him to do it

While I do think we aren’t signing anyone what exactly did you expect him to say “our options that we are looking at for fullback are Isaako, Niu and Corey Allan, oops sorry forget I said that”

"Yeah we are looking to sign Harry Gr...I mean some players, yes but nothing official at this stage."

Kev sounds like he has more faith in Milford than I do, frankly. Milford just doesn't have the mental fortitude or the desire to turn his talents into success. He's a textbook Inala groupie, it's the environment he grew up in. A gigantic Centrelink building, graffiti smothered bus stops, a really shit school and a tacky old shopping centre is all he's ever known. The negatives are baked into the crust I guess you could say. While the area is certainly Rugby League heartland, it is not the sort of talent pool you want to be drawing your players from.

It will take a massive attitude adjustment to get Milf back to anything close to 2015 when he was young, exuberant and still gave a shit, and I just suspect that ship has sailed. He's been on too much money and given way too much free reign (McDonalds card) for too long, not to mention the constant fucking around with his role in the side. Five Eight, then Fullback, then back to Five Eight and on and on it goes. I don't even think a change of environment would help his situation all that much. Maybe a big pay cut would be the impetus for a wakeup call, but again, I reckon it's just way too late. He isn't a drunk like Roberts or a spastic like Barba or Carney; He's just lazy. Extremely lazy. Not unlike Titans era Jarryd Hayne but without the achievements and credibility to fall back on, and in my opinion he has had more than enough time to prove otherwise. We need his cap space for players who might actually pull their weight consistently.
Yet Cam Smith and JT both came from areas every bit as rough as Milf’s and have managed to prove that age old myth is just middle class snobbery. Granted socio-economic situations do to a certain degree determine a person’s opportunities. However, it is a load of bull dust that the area a person grows up in will determine their outlook on life and whether they have the mental fortitude to succeed in life or not.

Our entire squad played like shit over the last two years because of the coach.

Kev sounds like he has more faith in Milford than I do, frankly. Milford just doesn't have the mental fortitude or the desire to turn his talents into success. He's a textbook Inala groupie, it's the environment he grew up in. A gigantic Centrelink building, graffiti smothered bus stops, a really shit school and a tacky old shopping centre is all he's ever known. The negatives are baked into the crust I guess you could say. While the area is certainly Rugby League heartland, it is not the sort of talent pool you want to be drawing your players from.

It will take a massive attitude adjustment to get Milf back to anything close to 2015 when he was young, exuberant and still gave a shit, and I just suspect that ship has sailed. He's been on too much money and given way too much free reign (McDonalds card) for too long, not to mention the constant fucking around with his role in the side. Five Eight, then Fullback, then back to Five Eight and on and on it goes. I don't even think a change of environment would help his situation all that much. Maybe a big pay cut would be the impetus for a wakeup call, but again, I reckon it's just way too late. He isn't a drunk like Roberts or a spastic like Barba or Carney; He's just lazy. Extremely lazy. Not unlike Titans era Jarryd Hayne but without the achievements and credibility to fall back on, and in my opinion he has had more than enough time to prove otherwise. We need his cap space for players who might actually pull their weight consistently.

Have you been to Inala in the last 4 years?

Active Now

• Santa
  • Xzei
  • Dazza 92
  • broncotville
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  • RolledOates
  • Kev_Guz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.