International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevin Walters: Talk of ‘rebuilding Broncos’
just gives club excuses

• September 18, 2019 6:34am
  • by Eamonn Tiernan
  • Source: AAP
Kevin Walters believes the Broncos are looking for excuses.

Kevin Walters believes the Broncos are looking for excuses.Source: AAP

Queensland coach Kevin Walters says there is “clearly something not right” at his former club Brisbane after their NRL finals capitulation.

Brisbane’s season finished with their worst-ever loss, thrashed 58-0 by Parramatta in the qualifying final last week, as coach Anthony Seibold’s first season ended with a whimper. It was then revealed players were out late playing poker machines the night before the Eels game, which Broncos legend Walters described as disappointing.

“I’m not sure sitting in front of a poker machine is in any way going to help you the next day,” Walters told NRL Tonight. “It was disappointing to hear that was happening the night before a game and the biggest game of the year. “Everyone prepares differently, you’d have to be inside the walls of the Broncos to know how they prepare for games and whether this is something they do regularly when they visit Sydney.”

Walters unsuccessfully interviewed for the Brisbane job won by Seibold and said he was looking forward to seeing the results of the end-of-season review.

“It has been a disappointing season for the Broncos, they won 11 from 25 games which is probably not expected of a club that at the start of the year a lot of the experts had them in the top four,” Walters said. “I’m sure the Broncos today are really scratching their head saying how did this all happen. “Talent can’t be one of the reasons because they’ve got eight State of Origin players and three guys that have played international football.

David Fifita and Anthony Milford were playing poker machines until late the night before Brisbane’s 58-0 loss to the Eels.

David Fifita and Anthony Milford were playing poker machines until late the night before Brisbane’s 58-0 loss to the Eels.Source: News Corp Australia

“So there’s clearly something not right at the Broncos but what that is I don’t know because I’m not in the inner sanctum.” Walters won five premierships at the Broncos and said rebuilding should not be an excuse tabled by any NRL club. “Rebuilding - I’m not a fan of that language, it gives players an opportunity to not put in the performance they can every week,” Walters said. “It gives everyone an excuse and that’s not what the Broncos are about. They’re here to win and that’s what the focus should be about, not rebuilding or any of these excuses that are laid on the table.”

the thing is, is he the only one? Walters has won and lost origins, but got more out of our players during them, than our coach (not that origin is anything to judge club coaching by). If he still wants the job, he'll be putting the torch to the coach every time they fall, and lets face it, Siebold is yet to show something positive from the team's performance that isn't related to individual performance.
All that being said Siebold will have the pre-season and at least the first 8 rounds or so to show improvement unless there's more to this mess than we know.

Walters would only get cranky at the media, act like a tough guy to the media, stick with his team of mates, and wait until the CM reports on what he should do, and do that.

Walters would only get cranky at the media, act like a tough guy to the media, stick with his team of mates, and wait until the CM reports on what he should do, and do that.
Walters appears to have the support of his former teammates - the so called soul of the club - which puts him in a good position to pounce. He's notable for previously suspending Milford for sneaking out.

I wouldn't object to him being parachuted in to rescue the team, forthwith, and I'm sure it would go over well with many long term fans. I'm sure he'd also get the respect of the playing group, but whether he's a great coach is another matter.

Last edited:
Walters appears to have the support of his former teammates - the so called soul of the club - which puts him in a good position to pounce. He's notable for having suspended Milford for sneaking out before.

If those players were calling the shots, we wouldn't have a club.

Isn't that a modus operandi of Siebold's coaching tactics this year? Siebold has been cranky in the media (maybe not at them), stuck with virtually the same team loss after loss, and had the Courier Mail flagging everything he does as coaching genius, until it all fell in a heap on Saturday.
When he has made changes they have done very little to improve the team overall. Turpin to half was a mistake, The fullback swap hasn't worked out, and the one success he has had (bringing Kennedy in) has been a small win at best.
If all this was set against a team failing but improving I'd be a little more forgiving, but it isn't. If there were signs of a grander strategy being built again, I be more understanding. Where are these?
The one caveat against his removal is that he has been hampered on the coaching front with injuries (as have a lot of coaches past and present). For this reason, and this alone I'd give him a pre-season to put into place whatever he promised the board at the time of his signing, he was going to do. But if there are no results sooner rather than later in the next season, there is no way he can hang on to his job. It's in his court. Contrary to what I've heard people say, he has been giving an outstanding group of young talent and a team that was on the up. It has stagnated. Worst of all, more than the losses, is the complete lack of direction on the field.
Bennet, Walters, Tallis, Kent: none of them have one iota of say in how this team is run. It is all on his shoulders and sooner or later he has got to pay out on his promises.

The CM is calling for Macca and Boyd to be sacked and Milf to be warned, a playmaker to be found...Walters could do worse than follow those suggestions...he could do what Siebs has done...nothing.

The CM is calling for Macca and Boyd to be sacked and Milf to be warned, a playmaker to be found...Walters could do worse than follow those suggestions...he could do what Siebs has done...nothing.

You think Walters would have dropped his Broncos buddies? No chance.

Siebold was never going to come in and drop long standing players from the team. I'm surprised people think the coach is the issue here, if we have the same team next year, by all means, he's fucked, but after his first year? Nah.

It's only an opinion though. That being, I hope Kevin Walters never has anything to do with this club in a coaching capacity, ever.

Siebold was never going to come in and drop long standing players from the team. I'm surprised people think the coach is the issue here, if we have the same team next year, by all means, he's fucked, but after his first year? Nah.

It's only an opinion though. That being, I hope Kevin Walters never has anything to do with this club in a coaching capacity, ever.

I'm willing to give Siebs another year but the fact he stuck with Boyd and Turps in the halves and Shibasaki anywhere in the 17 is all on him. Plus his bench use is appalling. He has shown no ability to think on his feet whatsoever. I also cannot stand his diverting blame tactics in press conferences. It always seems to be someone else's fault.

He dropped milf, Boyd, macca and Oates during origin. He effectively ended Boyd's rep career.
Whether he would have done what with who we will never know as he isn't coach.

A couple of things in the past that tells me Kevvie will be a better coach.
1. Kevvie replaced Macca with Hunt in hooker role in SOO. Only took him one match to figure it out and effect the change.
2. He got MILF and Hunt firing in 2015 as an assistant coach. Once he left, the halves slowly declined year after year.

A couple of things in the past that tells me Kevvie will be a better coach.
1. Kevvie replaced Macca with Hunt in hooker role in SOO. Only took him one match to figure it out and effect the change.
2. He got MILF and Hunt firing in 2015 as an assistant coach. Once he left, the halves slowly declined year after year.

Actually it took Kevvy until the series was lost and almost halfway through a dead rubber match before he effected that change. So it in fact took him 2 and a half games, not 1.

He dropped milf, Boyd, macca and Oates during origin. He effectively ended Boyd's rep career.
Whether he would have done what with who we will never know as he isn't coach.

He gave Milf excellent time to shine in his preferred positions for sure. Oates replaced by Valentine Holmes, you could show a highlights video to a monkey and it would know which of those is the better player, and yeah, you can have Boyd I guess, did he cry when he, or someone told him to drop him?

As for the post above, getting Hunt and Milf firing seems to have been someone else. Because when he came back, he was swiftly out the door again, and those two were still dog shit.

Why does Kevvie rate a mention? Why does he always rate a mention when coach talk comes up? I simply don't get it. He's been ordinary for QLD, and his record in England suggests he should move back to England again.

Andrew McCullough played hooker in all 3 games in 2018. He used Hunt as a utility in Game 3 of 2018 (that was more about Hunt's performances at halfback than what it was McCullough's performances at hooker) but he did not replace him with Hunt until the following series and even then, McCullough was injured.

He got Hunt and Milford firing in 2015 as an assistant coach. But as a head coach, there is more responsibility. More pressure.

But then again, Hunt was already firing at halfback for the Broncos before Walters was even at the club.

from all reports, it seems that a cleanout is coming ... maybe the finals thrashing gave him the ammo ...

if he had have tried dropping Boyd and Macca this year without giving them ample opportunities to succeed he would have been thrown from pillar to post, especially by the Broncos Old Boys pissed their mate didn't get the gig ... now it seems they want those two in particular gone as well

He's been ordinary for QLD, and his record in England suggests he should move back to England again.

given his head coaching record in England, he'd be lucky to find a club to hire him

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Organix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.