Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Kevin walters 4a828fd5ma0e1f39sgwik0gvt

Kevin Walters says he wants to succeed Wayne Bennett as Brisbane Broncos coach

October 28, 2017

KEVIN Walters says his return to Brisbane will make him a better Origin coach and help the Maroons mentor in his long-term objective to succeed Wayne Bennett at his beloved Broncos.

In his first interview since inking a two-year extension with Queensland, Walters detailed the reasons why he secretly contacted Bennett last month with a request to reunite with the super coach at Red Hill.

Two years ago, Bennett advised Walters to leave the Broncos to focus his energies solely on his then new role as Queensland Origin coach.

It was the second time Walters headed for the Red Hill exits after his bitter sacking in 2005 — and it was widely believed the playmaking legend would never be welcomed back under Bennett’s regime.

But next month, Walters will embark on a third incarnation at the Broncos, helping oversee their
pre-season with co-assistant Jason Demetriou while Bennett is away on World Cup duty with England.

Walters, who celebrated his 50th birthday last Friday week, remains firmly committed to the Maroons but eventually has plans to launch his NRL coaching career and hopes to be the chosen one to fill the Bennett void.

“I would love to coach the Broncos,” he told The Sunday Mail.

“Look, I see myself as an NRL head coach one day, although I probably have more patience now than I did five or six years ago.

“In saying that, it’s not the main reason why I’m coming back to the Broncos. Whatever happens there, I have no expectations. I just want to get in and do a good job for the club and if I keep doing that, then that (being the next Broncos coach to succeed Bennett) will look after itself.

“I believe I’m not past it age-wise as an NRL coach. I feel I have the right amount of skills to succeed in the NRL but until I actually get an opportunity and test myself at that level, we will never know.

“But I am certainly comfortable with what I can bring to an organisation. If an opportunity did come up at the Broncos one day, whenever that is, I’m confident I can take it and do the job well.”

In 2015, Walters played a critical mentoring role for halves Anthony Milford, Kodi Nikorima and Ben Hunt, who will join the Dragons in 2018, but the Broncos can also do a lot for his own development.

Two successful campaigns with Queensland has triggered no sense of arrogance or complacency. In the cutthroat world of the NRL, tactics, structures and coaching methodologies move quickly. For the Maroons to keep pace with the latest trends, Walters felt it was vital to have his finger on the pulse.

“The NRL changes so quickly these days and I don’t want to lose touch with the game,” he said.

“I like to be a hands-on coach. For me to continue to be hands on with Queensland, I had to get back to clubland and make sure that what I was coaching at Origin level are the best methods.

“I made contact with Wayne and it went from there. I’m really grateful to the Queensland Rugby League for allowing me to go back to the Broncos, but I have enough experience now to maintain both jobs very successfully.

“For Queensland to get better, I have to get better as a coach as well. The only way to do that is to coach yourself and be there at the coalface.

“The benefits are going to be personal and hopefully those benefits will not only transform the Broncos, but Queensland. We need to get better across the board to remain a dominant force at Origin level.”

Bennett and Walters had a philosophical clash this year over the Origin selection of Milford but the Maroons mentor says suggestions they fell out is overstated.

“My relationship with Wayne is fantastic, that’s being honest with you,” he said.

“Wayne knew me as a player and now as coaches, there is great respect.

“Despite what people have said, there has never been a drama between us. We have known each other since I was 17 years old and Wayne has always been very good for me.

“At times, we haven’t agreed and I haven’t always agreed with some of the decisions he made in regards to me, but ultimately things have worked out well for me.

“I can’t wait for this next challenge. I can’t be happier with where I’m placed at the moment.”

Source: Courier Mail

It’s all yours Kevy, especially if you can help Milford and Nikorima work together and control the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • pennywisealfie
  • heartly87
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.