NEWS Kevvie names the next Webke

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Travis Meyn, talks up Tom Flegler in the Courier-Mail:

Queensland coach Kevin Walters, at a two day camp of the QLD's current 33 finest, says 105Kg Flegler is due for his State of Origin debut:

“I love his character, he’s got a beautiful character for State of Origin. He’s suited to State of Origin football. He’s a very aggressive type of player. Last year was really good for him at the Broncos to get a taste of the NRL. This year is about building on that. He might pick up one or two things from being around guys like Josh Papalii and Jai Arrow, guys who are currently in the front row for Queensland. That’s going to help everyone be a better player. That’s what this camp is about.”

Tom Flegler said:

“Webcke was definitely one of the blokes I looked up to. I always looked up to Corey Parker, he was my idol growing up. Another bloke was Matt Scott, he played with a lot of aggression and was smart too. You see the passion the Queenslanders show. Growing up as a kid all you ever wanted to do was play footy for Queensland. I will be ready to go. I can bring plenty of enthusiasm and impact off the bench. I suppose (my aggression would be helpful). Origin gets pretty heated at times. I think that would definitely help.”

QLD have struggled up front following the retirements of Matt Scott and Nate Myles. Walters trying Jai Arrow, Josh Papalii, Joe Ofahengaue and Dylan Napa. Flegler is likely to be on the bench. The Broncos, on the other hand, can boast an embarressment of props with Flegler, Ofahengaue, Matt Lodge and Payne Haas. Flegler is looking forward to facing Haas in his second year for NSW:

“I play with him every week so to line up against him, there would definitely be a lot of competition there. I’d love to push for a starting spot at the Broncos but there is a lot of competition. A starting spot would definitely be my go. Making the 17 each week is the first thing then we’ll see what happens from there. Lodgey and Payne are two of our leading front rowers. They played excellent footy last year. If I don’t get a starting spot I’m still going to go out there each week and give it my all.”

Origin 1 will be played on the cauldron of South Australian Rugby League, the Adelaide Oval, on June 3.

McHunt

Last edited:
I really hope flegler kicks on. There were signs early he could really be a standout prop. We just need to persist with him and bring him along (don't try and rush his development or change him into a 80 minute lock.
I'd also encourage him to persist with off loads. He's already pretty good. We just need to temper his defence and attacking situational awareness and he could rival our other two eventually.

I really hope flegler kicks on. There were signs early he could really be a standout prop. We just need to persist with him and bring him along (don't try and rush his development or change him into a 80 minute lock.
I'd also encourage him to persist with off loads. He's already pretty good. We just need to temper his defence and attacking situational awareness and he could rival our other two eventually.
Looked more like the next Martin Lang than Shane Webke on debut. He'd have spent half the year out with concussion if he kept that up.

Good chance Patty will be starting Prop during Origin, I'd say.

Looked more like the next Martin Lang than Shane Webke on debut. He'd have spent half the year out with concussion if he kept that up.

Good chance Patty will be starting Prop during Origin, I'd say.

Completely disagree. Flegler showed a step, and acceleration several times during the year (Martin Lang had none). He will only get better with experience, and I predict he will also have an offload in a season or two.

I like Flegler, real talent but very raw.

Fk me our prop stocks are good. Joe O really beginning to look like an odd one out but we just extended him...

He's a big chance for a Bench spot. Queensland's starting Props are probably fairly settled in Arrow and Papalii and McGuire will likely be the Lock, but outside of that it's wide open.

Based on last series Ofahengaue would be one bench Prop you'd think, but after that it's a real battle between the likes of Flegler, Napa, Welch, Glasby etc and realistically no one really has their nose in front there.

Fleglers numbers as a bench Prop were quite good; of course this is tempered by the usual rookie mistakes and lack of conditioning at first...but the raw potential is there for all to see.

I certainly hope both Patty & Flegs can take the next step by becoming the top 2 rotation bigs off our bench. We have soem serious go forward but really needs a bit of variety to it. Concur Flegs developing his offload would be quite important...

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • davidp
  • Foordy
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bish
  • Skathen
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.