NEWS Kevvie & Wayne: the legend continues

HScreenshot 2021 04 08 Walters speaks on Bennett return pleads for patience

Good things come to those who wait insists Broncos coach Kevin Walters:

“Everything takes time - I need time. Even with Wayne, it took him five years to build the side he wanted and that was with some of the best talent the game has seen. He had guys like Wally Lewis and Allan Langer."

“It is certainly different to Origin. With Origin, you are working with the elite players of the game and there is only a squad of 18 to 20. With the NRL, you have 30 odd players you need to maintain good strong relationships with and some guys are only young and need more development than other guys. We want to be successful and you have to get the right people there to be successful. There are some good talented kids coming through and we are always looking to strengthen our roster.”

“We won’t delve into that question (Bennett returning) just now. Right now he is enemy number one. We need to have a strong performance tomorrow night. I’ve worked with Wayne as a coach and player. I’ve been in a coaches box with him in a grand final (2015). We are certainly aware of Wayne’s qualities as a coach and what he brings to a football club. It’s a privilege to be coaching against him. He is well over the 700-game mark and I’m up to my fifth game."

H9ba8224496eff3543987c18a734060c8

Peaches and cream

“He’s had a big influence, as a player from when I was in Canberra. We were introduced to each other when I was 16 and he’s been involved in my life ever since in some capacity. To be honest, Wayne letting me go was a blessing in disguise. I took so many good things from Wayne. There’s no ill-feeling from me about what he did. Because of that moment, I’ve been around the world with my coaching career. I’ve been to the (Ipswich) Jets in the Queensland to Catalans in the Super League and down to Melbourne (as an assistant to Craig Bellamy)."

“There is a big wide world out there and I had to explore that. Wayne showed me that. I‘m really pleased now that I did leave the Broncos. It’s got me into the position I am today. That was a heartbreaking time for both of us."

“There are a lot of things I like about the way Wayne coaches. His relationship with his players is the best one for me. He cares about them. Knowing his players and knowing their personalities is his best strength. He doesn’t bombard Latrell Mitchell with complex game plans. He simply says, ‘Hey Latrell, how’s your family?’"

"Wayne has been such a great coach, a very successful coach, but I don‘t look up and see who I am coaching against. It’s more about the players and making sure they are well prepared for what’s in front of them."

“I’ve had a great relationship over time with Wayne but that will mean nothing on Thursday night. He will want his team to win and I will want our team to win.”

Bennett agrees:

“Telling Kevvie to leave at the end of that 2005 season was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. He had tears in his eyes and I was close to breaking down myself. It was painful. Very painful. But it was the right thing to do. I felt Kevin wasn’t going to get any better with me. I felt he needed to go and be with other coaches, see other systems, work at other places ... instead of being in my shadow all the time. I always felt Kevvie wouldn’t get the head-coaching job at the Broncos if he didn’t leave and get some experience first.”

H8fbab3e0 d9bf 11ea 9fdf 26c57ccfe953

Sooner or later you miss your mates.

“Our friendship has never been broken. Yes, we’ve had our moments, there’s no doubt about that. What happened in 2005 wasn’t pleasant. We’ve had some run-ins, but when the s**t hits the fan, Kevvie has been there for me and I’ve been there for him."

“Kevin just has to be Kevin (as Broncos head coach). The job at the Broncos can change you. It can put you under strange pressures you don‘t think will happen. But if Kevvie is true to himself, he will be OK. That’s how he got the job."

“Sometimes to come back to where you want to be, you need to go elsewhere first. Now Kevin is back at the Broncos where he belongs.”

McHunt

To be fair, I'd argue most posters on here could do a better job than most NRL journos.
I guess all I'm trying to say is....we see enough of the grubby...sensationalistic.....clickbait....bullshit. It'd be nice to see a reasoned and honest "translation" of what we otherwise have to stomach.

Needless to point out that the new moderators of this site should have picked up on this abhorrent behaviour. (of McHunts) You'd have to have some doubts on their performance thus far...and question any thoughts about their overall usefulness.

Just sayin'

Fucking ref, “Play on, six again!”

Did I miss something in this thread towards the end???? Were there responses removed because it did not seem to make sense?

I don't see the problem in @McHunt posts... he literally posts quotes from people word for word (as these aren't copyrighted) and then fills in the gaps with some hilarious banter. He also explains in his signature what he's doing.

I don't follow any news sites or read papers, but you can get all the info you need from these quotes as they are straight from the horses mouth. And it bypasses all the drivel contrived by the Courier Fail and other news outlets.

Mr Shitbeer, if you want to read actual news articles why don't you just subscribe and pay for the actual articles?

(**** off Huge...I'm talking to McHunt.)

Soooo....am I missing something here? That is your intention? To be some kind of sarcastic parody of an NRL journo?

I would have thought....a large benefit to all of us would be for someone to cut through all the bullshit that we see as "news" and to give us the skinny......as you see it.

You're doing a good job......but your M.O of late, has become decidedly sensationalistic and grubby.
Like..love......again, its disturbing.

You are a sports journo......whos pretending to be a BHQ'er. Its the only logical assumption to make.
I guess all I'm trying to say is....we see enough of the grubby...sensationalistic.....clickbait....bullshit. It'd be nice to see a reasoned and honest "translation" of what we otherwise have to stomach.
Awesome feedback.

Try this instant solution (recommended for everyone): Click on McHunt > Ignore

I hope we're not carrying two halfbacks in the team for much longer, but I'm willing to cut Kev some slack while he assesses who the right 7 is for us.
How can he possibly assess that by playing one for 9 minutes a game. I want Walters to be a success but this in particular is pretty bad

Personally, I can’t be fucked reading McHunts attempts at humour. It’s like reading a Twitter timeline of comments people have already made before. Nothing original whatsoever.

Badel, Mole and Reading the Play > McHunt’s copy/paste articles

...and you all thought I was being a ****.

leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Righto guys enough critiquing McHunt’s posts. If you like them that’s awesome, if you don’t then use ignore like McHunt has already suggested.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • bazza
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.