Kodi Nikorima emerges as shock contender for Broncos fullback role after Darius Boyd

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rius-boyd-injury/story-fniabjcr-1227175196501

He remains untested at NRL level, but emerging Broncos utility Kodi Nikorima believes he can endure a baptism of fire as a rookie replacement for injured fullback Darius Boyd.

With Boyd’s ruptured achilles throwing Brisbane’s plans for the No. 1 jumper into disarray, Nikorima has emerged as a shock contender for the custodian role when the club opens its premiership assault against South Sydney at Suncorp Stadium on March 5.
The 20-year-old appears locked in a battle with Jordan Kahu and Lachlan Maranta for a Round 1 starting spot, with the trio sharing fullback duties when the Broncos returned to pre-season training yesterday.
Nikorima was a driving force behind Brisbane’s run to the National Youth Competition grand final last season, shining alongside younger brother Jayden as he split his time between fullback and five-eighth.

Now in his second pre-season with the club’s senior squad, the New Zealander has plans to find a permanent home in the backs under coach Wayne Bennett.
“It was my first time playing fullback last year so I grew to like that position,’’ Nikorima said.
‘‘Wayne doesn’t really say much, but he just said that everything is up for grabs so it’s the one who wants it the most.
“I’ve put on an extra kilo that should be handy this year hopefully.

“I was actually training with Darius when (the injury) happened so I was pretty devastated for him but if the opportunity comes (to play fullback) I’ll take it with both hands. If not, I’ll just keep working hard and try to make my way into the 17.”
Nikorima said the chance to train alongside some big names, including Sam Thaiday and Corey Parker, in the Broncos’ top 25 had fuelled his desire to play NRL football.
“It’s awesome.
‘‘Just to have (them) around the club, it’s surreal seeing players that I grew up idolising.’’

“Just to be among them, it’s an honour.”
Thaiday, who yesterday completed his first pre-season hit-out following the Kangaroos’ Four Nations campaign of last year, said the race for the fullback spot was wide open.
“We’ve got good depth in that position. Justin (Hodges) can slot back into that role and did a job for us at the end of last season so those guys are going to knuckle it out for that spot,” Thaiday said.
‘‘It makes training competitive and it makes Wayne’s job hard to pick players in those positions but it’s a good problem to have when you’ve got too many players of great quality.
‘‘They’re going to do whatever it takes to get that position so … it’s only going to make our side better.”

Last edited:
Re: Kodi Nikorima emerges as shock contender for Broncos fullback role after Darius B

Nikorima >>>> Maranta

Kahu? Well yeah fine if he can stay healthy for 5 minutes

Re: Kodi Nikorima emerges as shock contender for Broncos fullback role after Darius B

It sounds like a slow day at courier mail.

Heart in mouth time every time a bomb goes up with Nikorima at the back. He could become the scapegoat for the year

tomorrow someone else will emerge as a "shock contender" for the full back role, until they have named everyone who has ever worn a one on their back at any level of the game ... then they will tell us they knew all along :laugh:

It's only logical though that it's between the three

Maranta is safe and consistent without being spectacular

Nikorima is a bad defender but good in attack with some good pace and not to mention a third kicking option

Kahu is the a bit of both who has just spent a lot of time out of the game

Do all players share the same script for generic answers? Literally everything he said in that article has been said thousands of times before. Even just in the last year.

To be honest after seeing Barba under the Highball I can't see Kodi doing worse.

To be honest after seeing Barba under the Highball I can't see Kodi doing worse.

Kick defusal maybe. Barba made vast improvements in tackling technique and strength in 2012, and the fact he defended admirably in the front like while at 6 last year shows it stuck. Kodi can't even tackle 17 year olds.

I'm not saying his in anyway a great tackler Morkel, merely pointing out that Barba was found wanting under the highball which isn't a maybe, several of them could have led to gift tries. Tackling wise I do agree with you on both Barba and Kodi.

I'm not saying his in anyway a great tackler Morkel, merely pointing out that Barba was found wanting under the highball which isn't a maybe, several of them could have led to gift tries. Tackling wise I do agree with you on both Barba and Kodi.

Yeah I'll agree with you on that. At least two games we lost because of Barba's catching. Or lack thereof.

Then you haven't seen Kodi...

Actually I have mate and I'm not convinced he would do any worse then Barba did last season, also doesn't mean he would do much better either. Kahu imo still ranks the best option at fullback in Boyd's absence or not shifting Milford.

As incredible as it may sound, Kodi is a big step down from Barba in the bomb catching stakes imo, and like [MENTION=8215]Morkel[/MENTION] said, he would be nothing more than a speed bump for almost any NRL player...

I would love it if the Broncos had a really tall fullback, or could at least jump like Slater. That would put my mind at ease.

I always get concerned when we have short fullbacks, and believe me, Kodi is fucking short. I've met him in real life and he looked like a fucking hobbit.

I would love it if the Broncos had a really tall fullback, or could at least jump like Slater. That would put my mind at ease.

I always get concerned when we have short fullbacks, and believe me, Kodi is fucking short. I've met him in real life and he looked like a fucking hobbit.

Without looking up stats (which I will soon...) Maranta sounds like your man for that.

Maranta 187cm. Copley 184. Kahu 183cm. Take them all with a grain of salt but Maranta at least looks the safest. Both Hodges (190cm) and Vidot (188cm) are taller, but Vidot is probably not mobile enough or experienced in the #1. Hodges' aging body means that the phrase should be altered to say White Men & Hodges Can't Jump.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • broncotville
  • Xzei
  • Mister Wright
  • Porthoz
  • mystico
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Justwin
  • Fatboy
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.