Landmark ruling: Jack de Belin barred from NRL return

Correct decision.

Let this be a lesson to all NRL players, present and future, don't **** up.

Woohoo, fucking stoked with this decision.

Huge decision. How long is his ban for as it said in the article it's likely to extend past his contract which runs till end of 2020? Indefinite? 5 years? Life?

Huge decision. How long is his ban for as it said in the article it's likely to extend past his contract which runs till end of 2020? Indefinite? 5 years? Life?

It's pretty self explanatory isn't it? He's banned until he's found not guilty, which may allegedly take 2 or more years to resolve in the courts.

It's pretty self explanatory isn't it? He's banned until he's found not guilty, which may allegedly take 2 or more years to resolve in the courts.
Tbh I hadn't been following it closely enough to know when his court cases were.

The players have nobody to blame but themselves. The 2018/19 off season was just beyond the pale in terms of piss poor player behavior, and the NRL really had no choice but to take a stand. The media can spew about it all they like, because as if they would do anything else, but the players have had this reality check coming for a long damn time.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the potential ramifications when he's found not guilty.

Hopefully for the NRL's case, nothing ends up happening but I get the feeling this is going to backfire on them big time and that's going to do more damage than what letting him play was going to do.

Boy that’s going to cost him a fortune potentially to pay the legal costs on top of everything else. Can he challenge higher?

That's definitely controversial... and I find it hard to swallow, because it goes against the fundamental "innocent until proven guilty" principle enshrined in the Australian common law, turning it into a "guilty until proven innocent" punishment.
It's also ridiculous to rule it doesn't impact his standing in the game, due to the publicity of it.
It's also very dubious whether this is or isn't restriction of trade...

I assume this could be escalated to the High Court of Australia. I know I definitely would.

Regardless whether it's the case with Bellend or not, someone innocent will end caught up in this, not to speak of the potential for abuse this brings about.

Last edited:
There is a lot of money in gambling and in the future we might see players taken out to affect outcome by having allegations made against them.....

There is a lot of money in gambling and in the future we might see players taken out to affect outcome by having allegations made against them.....

That happens a bit around the world of sports does it?

I'm pretty sure the NRL would have been one of the last sports to actually draw a line in the sand and say players can't play.

What absolute rubbish. It’s more than allegations, it would need to be backed up by charges and like in the case of JDB have evidence deemed strong enough for a prosecutor to think he has a winnable case.

This kind of bullshit really pisses me off.

Losing the case and then having to pay the NRL's court costs made me laugh so hard :)

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Foordy
  • bazza
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.