NEWS Lay off: Darius Boyd "Suicide Risk"

Trolls are shit and no one deserves to cop personal attacks on themselves or their family.
However, there is a big difference between personal attacks and scrutiny over poor form, especially when earning the money he is on.
If he doesn't like the pressure, or the well deserved criticism then he needs to find a lower pressure job.
I am certain he would lap up the praise if he was playing well, and in that, he has to be accountable when playing poorly.

I hate this bullshit and this is the last straw for me in terms of Darius. If anyone has read my previous posts about mental health they will know I am supportive as anyone, but trying to hold your team, employer and the fan base ransom like this is truly pathetic and bullshit.

Criticism is a part of life in any job, this is obviously amplified in any public area and even further within professional sport. To say this in the same article that you declare you will see out your contract as some kind of veiled threat towards your employer is a new low.

If you cannot take the criticism (and there is no shame in that, I certainly couldn't) don't put yourself in the position to get criticised. Retire, or take a dramatic pay cut where your terrible performances won't have such an impact.

I posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate for this one:-

I’m seriously concerned for Darius. That’s twice this year he has made veiled threats to the Broncos supporter base in that he’s implying if we bag his inept performances too much on social media, he could commit suicide.

Make no mistake, he’s not talking about anyone else, is he?

So, the question you need to ask yourself Darius is, is plodding on and putting up with this sort of online abuse really worth your life? Or are you willing to risk it for $800K a year?

The people who are really close to you should be the ones telling you that it’s not worth persisting with for any huge sum if your mental state is in jeopardy and you’re feeling suicidal.

If Benny genuinely cares for your welfare, he should have been the first on your phone after yesterday’s debacle demanding you call time on your illustrious career. Your wife has now had to witness you making that same veiled threat twice now. She should be screaming the house down telling you to quit at once. Or is it all a smokescreen to get the fan base to lay off so you can continue to ‘phone it in’ and pick up a king’s ransom for 25 rounds of mediocrity?

I’d seriously hate to see anyone take their life let alone the Broncos skipper just because the fan base was criticising their performance on the field. So please Darius, after bringing up the subject not once but twice, you have me worried for your ongoing safety. Your life has to be worth more than $800k a year and the mental anguish that comes with it. Please retire now.

I posted this on another thread, but it seems more appropriate for this one:-

I’m seriously concerned for Darius. That’s twice this year he has made veiled threats to the Broncos supporter base in that he’s implying if we bag his inept performances too much on social media, he could commit suicide.

I don't see where he said he was at a point of suicide risk? He said he has good support networks around him and has strategy's in place to manage it.

The message i got out of it, was that other players could easily be caught up in it.

Last edited:
In all honesty has anyone seen the likes of the vilification of Paul Gallen?
He's been booed, despised, continually bullied year after year. Criticized and lampooned mercilessly. Just a pure object of ridicule really. If it affected his mental health who would defend him? Football fans are brutal. People with mental fragility should question whether the money and fame are worth it. There's a price to pay being in the public eye, there shouldn't be but it's never really going to end. Just ask Gal.

Anyone ever get the impression Boyd uses mental health as a defense mechanism for any criticism his way?

Retire.
As someone with my own mental health issues I find it disgusting. 1 in 4 people experience mental health problems sometime in their life, he's nothing special. If he was a person of colour he would have used the race card by now. Peaheart.

I don't see where he said he was at a point of suicide risk? He said he has good support networks around him and has strategy's in place to manage it.

The message i got out of it, was that other players could easily be caught up in it.
Of course he would never say it outright, but he does imply it, and just implying suicide ideation is a serious cause for concern.

Of course he would never say it outright, but he does imply it, and just implying suicide ideation is a serious cause for concern.

Absolutely. At the same time, any number of Personality Disorders which are often co-morbid with mental illness, have as a trait, manipulation of anyone and everyone to achieve the ends sought. I smell a rat whenever I hear "poor me" coming from someone who in fact, is definitely not poor.

It’s nothing new, fans go over the top all the time in sports all round the world. Shouldn’t happen but it probably always will. What’s unusual here is that Boyd went straight to that almost immediately after a loss.

I think players should avoid media in all its forms, there’s nothing positive to be gained from it. And also, as harsh as this sounds, clubs need to think carefully about signing players with issues like Boyd.

Darius needs to man up and Retire, his contract is stupidly overvalued and it risks our entire future potential for years to come if he doesn't go, he wouldn't be able to live in Brisbane again if he doesn't retire. His family would be getting abused on the daily.

Every single broncos supporter I have ever met Hates Boyd, when I got to see the biggest humiliation I ever saw on Sunday, Broncos fans were abusing Boyd all game.

Last edited:
Did you guys see what Steve Smith said at the conclusion of the Ashes, where he basically eclipsed Bradman? He VOWED TO IMPROVE. He was not satisfied yet with what he had done / contributed.

If anyone on the planet could say he is happy with his form, if not trying too hard, it is Steve Smith. But he sees deficiency. I am posting this to contrast with the leader of the Broncos this season.

As for the talk of suicide, any person sending real life harassment at players should get criminally persecuted. But it reminds me of abusive relationships where a dingbat girlfriend will treat you like crap but you can't leave her because she's made it clear she'll cut her wrists if you do.

What's clear from all this is clubs need some protection from these huge money long term signings, a performance clause or some such (assuming that doesn't already exist). Signings like Boyd / Ash Taylor can cripple a whole club for years if the guy decides to phone it in and do the bare minimum.

Yeah I'd be feeling pretty suicidal if I was on guaranteed money for 4 years to basically not play and waste a spot in the 17.

I suffer from depression and anxiety, and I'm calling bullshit.

Last edited:
I don't give all the blame Boyd, there were 12 other players on the field on Sunday. From what I had seen Cory Oats is the left winger where was he? if you looked hard enough you would have seen him in the center or in the 2nd row most of the time leaving the wing open he has been playing like that for the last half dozen games. Plus the fact the Broncos don't have any halves or any one to direct the team, they just seem to do and play how they want which is like crap.

I don't give all the blame Boyd, there were 12 other players on the field on Sunday. From what I had seen Cory Oats is the left winger where was he? if you looked hard enough you would have seen him in the center or in the 2nd row most of the time leaving the wing open he has been playing like that for the last half dozen games. Plus the fact the Broncos don't have any halves or any one to direct the team, they just seem to do and play how they want which is like crap.

There were plenty of problems, and they are being discussed as they should across the site. One thing Oates hasn't done yet, is claimed mental health issues for his shit season.

This thread.. Wow.

Some of the stupidity.

If Boyd's mental problems are really that bad, then it is logical for him to seek the best environment for his recovery. That environment is not being the captain of the Broncos and under constant scrutiny by everyone.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Rambstien
  • marw
  • Astro
  • BRC088
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.