NEWS Leaked edict reveals reasons behind NRL's refereeing fiasco

This article seems somewhat contradictory to what is observed. It seems to imply that the referees are robotically adjudicating on each play and are not allowed to insert their own flavour on the game, but it also states that fans are annoyed at the inconsistencies in the decisions being made. I don't think one can have it both ways.

I obviously understand that the refs aren't robots, but they are certainly not consistent and under this training scheme seem to be even more obviously less consistent.

The only thing I can draw from this article is that referees are being handed scripts (like a call centre worker) and then being systematically dressed down when they don't adhere to the script.

It probably doesn't help to have V'landiddly's face plastered at the end, but it doesn't take a huge leap of logic to go from a former bookie's influence in a sport to a Jordan Belfort scripted sales method.

It all stinks if you ask me, and it's really ruining the game to have referees afraid of losing their job if they're not following the script. However, fans need to be aware that there are always human biases in every single aspect of life and Refs aren't any different, but we should trust them to have some conscience towards fairness at the end of the day.

I don't see a problem with clear, consistent guidelines. In fact, at the top level, the game needs to be refereed the same regardless of who the on field ref is. Allowing a "feel" by an individual ref with an individual style is asking for trouble.

This is not the issue with the refs AT ALL.

Difference between guidelines and being forced to referee a game so it meets set minimum requirements.

Obviously you want the referees to make the calls they should, but it also encourages refs to go looking for penalties out of fear of being disciplined

This article seems somewhat contradictory to what is observed. It seems to imply that the referees are robotically adjudicating on each play and are not allowed to insert their own flavour on the game, but it also states that fans are annoyed at the inconsistencies in the decisions being made. I don't think one can have it both ways.

I obviously understand that the refs aren't robots, but they are certainly not consistent and under this training scheme seem to be even more obviously less consistent.

The only thing I can draw from this article is that referees are being handed scripts (like a call centre worker) and then being systematically dressed down when they don't adhere to the script.

It probably doesn't help to have V'landiddly's face plastered at the end, but it doesn't take a huge leap of logic to go from a former bookie's influence in a sport to a Jordan Belfort scripted sales method.

It all stinks if you ask me, and it's really ruining the game to have referees afraid of losing their job if they're not following the script. However, fans need to be aware that there are always human biases in every single aspect of life and Refs aren't any different, but we should trust them to have some conscience towards fairness at the end of the day.

It reads like they work to KPIs. That ain't right no matter what result we want.

They can't be following strict KPIs otherwise all the clubs would be getting treated the same. Every club would be getting given the same 10M spacing at the PTB, every team would be given exact same time to lay on the attacker, every team would be pinged for the same indiscretions, every team would be given the same leeway when it came to 6 agains, every player would be pinged for dangerous tackles and sin binned, every team would have their tries scrutinised the same amount of time by the bunker, every team would be pinged for a forward pass,especially tap ons, every team would be able to lay all over or get physically tangled up with the attacking player without being pinged, every team would have their players sin binned for professional fouls, every team would be pinged for poor play the balls.

It's quite obvious that this does not happen, and in fact there is a bias - perceived or not, that suggests teams like the Broncos invariably fall on the 'more often than not' category when these instances of bias are looked at closely.

We know for a fact this robotic like sameness does not happen when we play. So, the bottom line for me is this is a load of bollocks.

It reads like they work to KPIs. That ain't right no matter what result we want.

I don't think that's the case (from their wording anyway). KPI's would be they expect the number of penalties to be within this range etc, which doesn't seem to be the case. It's more a matter of if they see an incident that meets this criteria, that is when the penalty needs to be blown or a warning issued.

The meaningless square-ups and phantom 6-agains would match your theory though.

The storm got reffed out of the game by (correct) wrestling calls….queue the anti penalty articles

The Broncos are being allowed free flowing footy….queue the anti penalty articles.

NRL LIKE CLOCKWORK.

(are the refs thrown in the deep end? Yes. Should they be managing games? No. But the real issue is constant rule changes, bunker interference, expecting perfection & getting rid of the pocket ref)

The storm got reffed out of the game by (correct) wrestling calls….queue the anti penalty articles

The Broncos are being allowed free flowing footy….queue the anti penalty articles.

NRL LIKE CLOCKWORK.

(are the refs thrown in the deep end? Yes. Should they be managing games? No. But the real issue is constant rule changes, bunker interference, expecting perfection & getting rid of the pocket ref)
Isn't it funny that when the refs start cracking down on illegal things the Storm start losing though?

Isn't it funny that when the refs start cracking down on illegal things the Storm start losing though?
This is so on the money. While watching the Cows game and seeing the Storm being pulled up for forward passes, slowing down the ruck, and flopping, the thought crossed my mind that "their losing here and they look so much like the Tigers".

Remember the crackdown a few years back? 20+ penalties a game and the Storm and Roosters looked like utter shit. It was glorious, if only they'd stuck with it for a little longer

Remember the crackdown a few years back? 20+ penalties a game and the Storm and Roosters looked like utter shit. It was glorious, if only they'd stuck with it for a little longer
problem is NRL won't hold their nerve when they attempt to implement it. there'll be double digit binnings and/or send offs in the first round and the usual idiots will bleat about how the game's gone/game's ruined and the NRL will revert back the following week, because they're a bunch of little piss soaked bitches.

Then noone would watch these teams and the NRL would lose market space in tourist-rich, affluent areas.

Wasn’t it the sharks? The night smith got binned?

Wasn’t it the sharks? The night smith got binned?
Yeah and Buzz pissed and moaned about it resulting in an end to the crackdown... wish he would **** off to the retirement home already

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.