Lean, mean Brisbane Broncos pack won't be pushovers

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

ENFORCER Ben Hannant yesterday angrily denied the Broncos' new-look pack was soft, promising to "muscle up" in what might be the team's year: 2008.
Hannant, 23, leads a new-look Broncos' engine room that has major question marks hanging over it following the departure of veteran forwards Petero Civoniceva and Brad Thorn and indifferent trial form.

Can you beat the Broncos? Join our fantasy league.
The failure of Brisbane's revamped pack to be physically dominant during the pre-season, even against Queensland Cup opposition, has heightened concerns its "lean and mean" policy could backfire.

But a fired-up Hannant – on the cusp of Origin selection – argues front-row buddies Joel Clinton, Ashton Sims, Sam Thaiday, David Taylor and Nick Kenny are well equipped to handle the tough stuff.

"I'm fully confident in the forwards around me," Hannant said.

"We're fitter than we've ever been, we're strong in the gym. Everyone's ready to go.

"We've got a great pack here – the team that Wayne named – we've got Origin and Test players on the bench. We'll be fine with it.

"We do need to step up and we need to buy into the plan we've got. If we do that, we'll be OK. The new blokes are all very enthusiastic and keen and they're all buying into it

"We've just got to get out there in round 1 and get the job done."

Brisbane's front-row stocks have been hit hard over the past two seasons – given Shane Webcke has also left Red Hill – but the club still boasts an explosive back row led by enforcers Tonie Carroll and Greg Eastwood.

Hannant, due to suit up for his first match in a month against former mentor Petero Civoniceva's Panthers on March 16, also spoke of the urgency felt in Brisbane's squad to kick-start its new era with a win.

New recruit Joel Clinton sent a scare through the Broncos camp yesterday when he injured his ribs in a tackling drill.

But the former Penrith prop is considered a certainty to start against the Panthers next Sunday at Suncorp Stadium.

P. J. Marsh (ankle) and Ashton Sims (knee) are also assured of taking their places.

Was there ever a risk of that? Sure we aren't as strong as in the past, but in the past we had the best/second best pack in the comp. We are definitely not pushovers, as long as players like Hannant continue to improve.

in 2006, we had i think, 56 points put on us in a trial, yet won the gf that year. trial form means nothing.

The Broncos still have one of the best packs in the comp IMO.

Ben Hannant - ever improving. Will play origin by 09.
Dave Taylor - one of the brightest forwards prospects in the game.
Joel Clinton - has played for his state and country, and can again.
Corey Parker - consistent, can play for 80 mins, decent goalkicking.
Tonie Carroll - representative player, dominating big hitter.
David Stagg - can go all day.
Sam Thaiday - Australian and Qld rep at the age of 22.
Greg Eastwood - Kiwi rep by the age of 21.
Ashton Sims - v. promising, solid first grader.
Michael Ennis and PJ Marsh - just find me a better hooker combination in the comp!

Now, aside from Carroll, there's no one over the age of around 27 in that pack, I think.

Incredible.

I just think we will miss the experience in the tight games.

There is the challenge for our pack to work together and step up to grind out the metres.

i don't think Clinton has ever played for NSW just Australia

bfoord said:
i don't think Clinton has ever played for NSW just Australia

Correct - if he rediscovers that form I will be very happy.

mick!, used your assessment as a template (hope you don't mind) ;)

Ben Hannant - ever improving. Will play origin by 09. No doubt about it, keeps improving
Dave Taylor - one of the brightest forwards prospects in the game. Maybe the most talented young prop I have seen
Joel Clinton - has played for his state and country, and can again. Has a long way and a lot of work to get back to that level, has been ordinary despite his talent for a long time
Corey Parker - consistent, can play for 80 mins, decent goalkicking. Like Hannant he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 seasons
Tonie Carroll - representative player, dominating big hitter. Had less of an impact last year and is gradually winding down we desperately need Eastwood to be serious and take his place
David Stagg - can go all day. New interchange rules will suit him and if he is quicker and stronger like we hear then he could become a very handy player for us
Sam Thaiday - Australian and Qld rep at the age of 22. A very lazy and average player for us most of the time but fantastic in his rep games, we need him to fire more often in our colours
Greg Eastwood - Kiwi rep by the age of 21. Needs to lose weight and add passion, with less interchanges he HAS to get fitter and get more involved
Ashton Sims - v. promising, solid first grader. Done very little in the last couple of seasons after being touted for Rep honours, change of scenery and a bit of firing up may be what he needs to get to the level he is capable
Michael Ennis and PJ Marsh - just find me a better hooker combination in the comp! Ennis needs to stay fit desperately, he never gets a chance to build any form, and pj is pj wherever he goes he offers the same qualities and will take pressure off ennis substaintially

The youth is good but we need the likes of Parker, Stagg, Thaiday, Taylor and Hannant to improve even more so the pressure comes off Clinton and Sims who after under performing for a long time have the chance to realise there potential in this new environment.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
mick!, used your assessment as a template (hope you don't mind) ;)

Ben Hannant - ever improving. Will play origin by 09. No doubt about it, keeps improving
Dave Taylor - one of the brightest forwards prospects in the game. Maybe the most talented young prop I have seen
Joel Clinton - has played for his state and country, and can again. Has a long way and a lot of work to get back to that level, has been ordinary despite his talent for a long time
Corey Parker - consistent, can play for 80 mins, decent goalkicking. Like Hannant he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 seasons
Tonie Carroll - representative player, dominating big hitter. Had less of an impact last year and is gradually winding down we desperately need Eastwood to be serious and take his place
David Stagg - can go all day. New interchange rules will suit him and if he is quicker and stronger like we hear then he could become a very handy player for us
Sam Thaiday - Australian and Qld rep at the age of 22. A very lazy and average player for us most of the time but fantastic in his rep games, we need him to fire more often in our colours
Greg Eastwood - Kiwi rep by the age of 21. Needs to lose weight and add passion, with less interchanges he HAS to get fitter and get more involved
Ashton Sims - v. promising, solid first grader. Done very little in the last couple of seasons after being touted for Rep honours, change of scenery and a bit of firing up may be what he needs to get to the level he is capable
Michael Ennis and PJ Marsh - just find me a better hooker combination in the comp! Ennis needs to stay fit desperately, he never gets a chance to build any form, and pj is pj wherever he goes he offers the same qualities and will take pressure off ennis substaintially

The youth is good but we need the likes of Parker, Stagg, Thaiday, Taylor and Hannant to improve even more so the pressure comes off Clinton and Sims who after under performing for a long time have the chance to realise there potential in this new environment.

Fair assessment mate.

But, re: Joel Clinton, just remember that Hodges was very poor for the last 12 months he spent at the Roosters ;)

I honestly hold a lot of hope that guys like Clinton and Sims can reach their potential... and I think WB has proven that he has the ability to bring out the best in players. I think the fact that the pack is full of potential with also time on their side is a big positive.

mick! said:
Fair assessment mate.

But, re: Joel Clinton, just remember that Hodges was very poor for the last 12 months he spent at the Roosters ;)

I honestly hold a lot of hope that guys like Clinton and Sims can reach their potential... and I think WB has proven that he has the ability to bring out the best in players. I think the fact that the pack is full of potential with also time on their side is a big positive.

Especially front rowers too.

I agree fellas I think we can get the best out of them up here. It was quite a risk to take on these 2 guys who to be fair have no where near been realising the talent they have for some time now. It also worries me that the coach will change in a year for this sake. Clinton's main two reasons for signing were stated as Civoneciva and Bennett I just hope it doesn't deflate him or any other recruits that he is leaving the place.

ok..so we're full of youngens, but they all do have promise and have shown in the past they are pretty effective in their respective positions. but what about the size. i know it was on the news the other night, and well to be honest, willie mason could squash most of us with his little finger.
how are we going to cope when we're up against larger sides?

Our pack is hardly tiny.. Taylor, Thaiday, Hannant and Sims are all monsters and can surely handle themselves against all talk no walk Willie Mason.

Beads6 said:
Our pack is hardly tiny.. Taylor, Thaiday, Hannant and Sims are all monsters and can surely handle themselves against all talk no walk Willie Mason.

Big Willie does plenty of walking.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Beads6 said:

:lol: Yes, usually with hands on hips after being completely exhausted running at the smallest blokes on the field.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
Beads6 said:

[icon_lol1. I thought that said 'wanking'

they will never be pushovers. Worse comes to worse we can always chuck perry the no. 10

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.