NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Credited to nrl.com.au

Legend Q&A: John Plath

AuthorRugby League WeekTimestampSun 29 Mar 2020, 05:01 PM

Most players who win four premierships are household names but John Plath forged a fine career without ever becoming a star.
The Brisbane utility was a part of the 1992, '93, '97 and '98 grand final-winning teams, coming off the bench each time to do his bit to help the start-studded Broncos in whatever role was required.

Plath played 149 games in a 10-year career which kicked off in 1990, coinciding with Brisbane's golden run of dominance, the perfect Mr Fix-It for coach Wayne Bennett who could plug a hole in the halves or anywhere in the backs plus also handle dummy-half duties or the extra defensive workload if needed in the forwards.
NRL.com has been digging around in the Rugby League Week vaults and dusted off this Legend Q&A with Plath which was first published in 2017.
Bronco legend has it that John Plath - one of the most versatile footballers the game has seen - played in every position on the field, except prop.
But Plath is quick to correct the story.
The 1993 Broncos after downing St George in the title decider.
The 1993 Broncos after downing St George in the title decider.©NRL Photos
“Oh, I played prop too,” the likeable larrikin, who now runs his own swimming pool business, Eco Pools, says.
“We were playing against Illawarra and one of our front-rowers got hurt. Trevor Gillmeister blew up - he reckoned there was no grunt in our scrum.
“So he grabbed me when I was about to pack down at lock and pulled me into the front row. It was a bit of a shock, but at least I can say I played every spot on the field.”
Plath retains a close connection with the Broncos - he is a regular at home games and son Zach is one of the team’s ball boys.
Tell us about your early footy...
I was born in Gaydah and grew up out west in Barcaldine. My dad was a school principal so we moved around a fair bit. I went to Brisbane State High School - a rugby school - and repeated Year 12 with a brilliant plan to make the Australian Schoolboys. It didn’t work... a couple of ‘no names‘ called Tim Horan and Jason Little beat me for spots - I was filthy! (laughs)

So how did you come to league?
I always saw myself as a ‘leaguie‘ and my teacher was mates with (Broncos owner) Paul Morgan. They offered me a contract so one day after school, in my uniform, I took the train from Wynnum into Paul’s office in Brisbane. No one had any idea why I was there but after two hours of sitting around, they finally worked out who I was, presented me with a contract, and I signed it and took the train home, pleased as punch.
Brisbane celebrate after beating Cronulla in the 1997 Super League grand final.
Brisbane celebrate after beating Cronulla in the 1997 Super League grand final.©NRL PhotosBut there was a twist?
I got home, showed my mum the contract and started calling all my mates and telling them I was going to be a superstar. After a few minutes mum said ‘You better put the phone down’.
When I asked why, she showed me the contract... it was for some guy called John PLANT. So I had to take the train back in the next day and do it all over again... embarrassing.
John Plath filling in at dummy-half.
John Plath filling in at dummy-half.©NRL PhotosThe Broncos were the babies of the Sydney comp when you started... how was it?
A lot of us weren’t used to the week-to-week intensity ... that took time. I played in the 1990 reserve grade grand final, which we won, and that was a big thrill. One of my earliest games was against Cronulla and I did something to upset their two biggest forwards - Danny Lee and Les Davidson.
To this day I still don’t know what I did wrong. But I remember thinking ‘this is going to get ugly'. Sure enough, in one tackle the two of them beat the crap out of me... I was like a punching bag. You can see it on YouTube.
The Broncos rejoice after their 1998 premiership win over Canterbury.
The Broncos rejoice after their 1998 premiership win over Canterbury.©NRL Photos
I know because my three boys pull it up all the time and have a good laugh about it. They love it.
You did have a habit of upsetting opponents, though?
I came off the bench a lot and saw my role was to make an impact and get in people’s faces, put them off their game. A few of them didn’t like that.
I couldn’t fight, but I could start a stink with a few well placed words. I was a fair sledger, but I wasn’t the best... Ricky Stuart was in a class of his own.

You played in all four of the Broncos‘ grand final wins in the 1990s - that must have been a massive thrill?
Oh yeah - I came off the bench each time and I reckon if you add all four games together, I played 80 minutes (laughs). In our first in 1992, I got about 14 minutes but it was a proud day.
We couldn’t believe the reception that night back at the airport and the clubhouse - none of us expected it to be that big. The next year I got around 25 minutes... I felt I belonged a little more then.
You had a stint in England with London Broncos - how was that?
It was a great experience. Wayne Bennett is a great man but he wasn’t a fan of my lifestyle. I liked to drink and smoke and have a good time and Wayne wasn’t into any of that. (London coach) Ross Strudwick was more my kind of guy - he gave me more latitude off the field so it was very relaxed over there.
Did you and Wayne clash often?
He was trying to get the best out of me but when you are young and stupid you don’t realise that. I liked to party and the pubs protected us back then. There was no social media and no phone cameras so we could push the boundaries.
Six of us would be smoking away in the sheds after games 20 years ago.
John Plath
But Wayne always knew. He used to be a policeman and I reckon every second copper in Brisbane spied for him. So we still had to be careful. The game has changed - six of us would be smoking away in the sheds after games 20 years ago - now you can’t even smoke in the stadiums!
You came oh so close to playing Origin football ... what happened?
Adrian Vowles got picked but pulled out through injury. So the selectors called Wayne and told them I was in. But the day before, I did my shoulder. The worst thing was, it was friendly fire.
Peter Ryan went for a big hit on a bloke, missed, and got me. So Wayne ruled me out ... without even asking me! I was filthy - I reckon I could have played. He told me ‘You will get another chance’. Well, I didn’t - and I still remind him of that sometimes!

You played 99 games off the bench - did you ever think of switching clubs to get a starting spot?
I had chats with some clubs - the Dragons wanted me at one stage, the Cowboys too. But I loved Brisbane and the boys. Someone told me a while ago I am the most capped Bronco never to play rep footy ... I guess that is something of a rap... but I’m not sure.
There is always that ‘what if‘ in your head, but I enjoyed my time and wouldn’t change much.
You did enjoy yourself, didn’t you?
We had a ball. Gee-ups were an everyday thing. When Willie Carne made first grade, ‘Alf’ (Allan Langer) and the boys told him to pack his own food for his first away trip to Sydney - that there was nothing decent to eat there.
So Willie got on the plane with a bunch of cans of baked beans and spaghetti. He was one of the best wingers I ever saw, Willie, but there wasn’t a lot going on upstairs.
John Plath palms off Sid Domic during the 1997 Super League season.
John Plath palms off Sid Domic during the 1997 Super League season.©NRL PhotosWhy did you leave the Broncos after 1999?
I was a little past my best and Wayne called me in one day and said there was nothing for me. That came as a shock - I didn’t see it coming.
But I’d lost some of my competitiveness and the club was changing - long-serving players like Alf, Andrew Gee and Peter Ryan had gone. I had a season at Wynnum on $400 a win... and we won three games all year, so that was lean pickings.
But they gave me a development role and I learned about business, which set me up for life after footy, so it worked out well.
And you still see the boys?
All the time. I went fishing with Alan Cann the other week up in crocodile infested waters up in Weipa. Al over-balanced and fell into the water. I saw him slowly sinking and it was pretty funny.
And he just flew out of the water when he thought he saw a croc and jumped back in the boat - he never moved that fast on the footy field

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Midean
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jazza
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • BruiserMk1
  • Battler
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.