Lets talk Expansion starting with Brisbane.

“Importantly, the aim shouldn’t be to weaken the Broncos.”

Sure Phil, sure...

A6B2BD6C 01D1 434C 9F66 D2E153FADE0B

I love that the best argument for not having a Perth team is the travel...

Other teams will have to fly there once a year.. Who cares.. NBA teams fly that distance 4 times a week and they don't complain. (Although, private jet)

9 teams in our competition are in and around Sydney. Some of them are struggling and the crowds they pull are pathetic. Cull it back to 5 teams, those who can't keep up can exist in NSW Cup. Then we can talk about another team in South East Queensland, Perth, Adelaide, etc.

More teams is not going to work.

The NRL needs to focus on Sydney and reduce the amount of teams there before they worry about expansion.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of expansion by adding teams. Definitely a fan of expansion via relocation. Perth Sharks has a nice ring to it.

I don't think you can expand the NRL to more than 16 teams, as White implies in this article.

This means relocation of Sydney based teams, and I think 3 would be the right count. Perth is the absolute first in line imo, but we could certainly look at Wellington and I think Brisbane can certainly have a second team without great impact to the Broncos, whether it's Redcliffe or Ipswich is the question...

I don't believe any other location is sustainable, no matter how much a few Bears volunteers would like to make it look possible in the Central NSW coast.

Wellington? NZ is flat out with the team they have, and making that team compete for decent crowds in union territory. I don't think we see a time in our lifetimes that NZ would ever be in a position the support another team in League.

Why not a central Queensland team? Makes more sense imo
no it doesn't, where would you put it? rocky? rocky has less than 100k and only a small few towns near it, usually an hour + away. it simply wouldn't have the populace to support it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of expansion by adding teams. Definitely a fan of expansion via relocation. Perth Sharks has a nice ring to it.
I go the opposite way, having a new team allows organic growth in the community. Dumping someone elses team in your backyard won't get the support it needs, won't feel like theirs. Plus, whoever it is that loses their team isn't likely to switch over to the newly relocated one, they'll more than likely just abandon the game.

Last edited:

But do it with completely new management, no ties to the current bunch of cheat at all costs folk currently running the show.

Perth Pelican Eaters?

Perth King Sharks?

Perth Carniverous Fish?

Perth Tigersharks?

Perth Great Whites?

Perth Fins?

Perth Smells Blood in the Water?

Perth Megs?

Perth Jaws?

Perth Hammerheadnadoes?

So many possibilities.

Perth Pelican Eaters?

Perth King Sharks?

Perth Carniverous Fish?

Perth Tigersharks?

Perth Great Whites?

Perth Fins?

Perth Smells Blood in the Water?

Perth Megs?

Perth Jaws?

Perth Hammerheadnadoes?

So many possibilities.
Call 'em the miners or whatever, something to do with their industry.

think of the headlines...

Perth Reds. Kangaroo mascot. It should be done again.

I go the opposite way, having a new team allows organic growth in the community. Dumping someone elses team in your backyard won't get the support it needs, won't feel like theirs. Plus, whoever it is that loses their team isn't likely to switch over to the newly relocated one, they'll more than likely just abandon the game.

But do it with completely new management, no ties to the current bunch of cheat at all costs folk currently running the show.

Would you support a hand me down team?

Relocation would be the worst. Start from scratch, the fans deserve more than a shit club just being moved.

Agree with all of that...I'm just being realistic tbh. I'd like nothing more than a couple of Sydney clubs to lose their licenses for whatever reason, opening up spots for a Perth team, 2nd SE QLD team etc etc. But I just can't see the NRL taking the licenses off any of them. Relocation is the only way I can see any expansion in the foreseeable future under the current administration.

Agree with all of that...I'm just being realistic tbh. I'd like nothing more than a couple of Sydney clubs to lose their licenses for whatever reason, opening up spots for a Perth team, 2nd SE QLD team etc etc. But I just can't see the NRL taking the licenses off any of them. Relocation is the only way I can see any expansion in the foreseeable future under the current administration.
It would suck as a fan of that respective team though. I mean we're never going to be faced with it, but imagine waking up one and the NRL has decided it's gonna relocate Brisbane to somewhere else, it would be fucked.

Expansion is the wrong term IMO ... maybe we should talk about a "re-allocation" of teams.

Expansion implies adding teams to the existing teams, and I agree with Paul White that the comp would have trouble sustaining more than 16 teams.

i would allocate the teams as follows:

Broncos
2nd Brisbane
Cowboys
Titans
Perth
NZ
Newcastle
Storm
Raiders
Sydney 1
Sydney 2
Sydney 3
Sydney 4
Sydney 5

that's 14... so room for 2 more somewhere. I'm not sure Adelaide is the right place to bring a team.

All new teams should start from scratch and not be relocation's, bringing their baggage with them.

The problem with the the NRL cutting Sydney teams is that they will be gun shy after the Souths court case.

IF we are talking another Brisbane side, then i'd say the Dolphins are the logical choice. Well run and they have the infrastructure in place.

Perth is the next obvious choice for me. The games taken over there always seem to do well and i think they would be a viable option.

My personal choice for an expansion team would be PNG. They have the stadium there, they would generate huge income imo and they have the most fanatical fans you are likely to come across. Would be a good look there for live TV games as well compared to Sydney as the PNG football stadium would be packed out every home game.

Last edited:
Most of the teams are shit as it is, diluting the playing pool further would do more harm than good.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • Lozza
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • broncos4life
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Santa
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.