Lets talk Expansion starting with Brisbane.

Expansion is the wrong term IMO ... maybe we should talk about a "re-allocation" of teams.

Expansion implies adding teams to the existing teams, and I agree with Paul White that the comp would have trouble sustaining more than 16 teams.

i would allocate the teams as follows:

Broncos
2nd Brisbane
Cowboys
Titans
Perth
NZ
Newcastle
Storm
Raiders
Sydney 1
Sydney 2
Sydney 3
Sydney 4
Sydney 5

that's 14... so room for 2 more somewhere. I'm not sure Adelaide is the right place to bring a team.

All new teams should start from scratch and not be relocation's, bringing their baggage with them.

The problem with the the NRL cutting Sydney teams is that they will be gun shy after the Souths court case.
14 teams play each other twice.
Plus relegation and promotion.

Sydney is getting pretty thin, ideally Cronulla need to relocate to Central Coast and tigers back to Campbletown base.

Once this is fixed then they can work with either a Perth team or second Brisbane team.

My personal choice for an expansion team would be PNG. They have the stadium there, they would generate huge income imo and they have the most fanatical fans you are likely to come across. Would be a good look there for live TV games as well compared to Sydney as the PNG football stadium would be packed out every home game.
I'd love to have Perth, NZ2 and a PNG side. Bris2 and someone putting their hand up for relocation to central coast, 20 team comp, that's my ideal.

Last edited:
It would suck as a fan of that respective team though. I mean we're never going to be faced with it, but imagine waking up one and the NRL has decided it's gonna relocate Brisbane to somewhere else, it would be fucked.

Like I said, 100% agree. The administration needs to grow a pair and tell these teams in Sydney that 2 of them are going, end of. How they determine which teams those 2 are is up for discussion. Crowd size, ticketed member base would all be factors I think....but being able to stand on your own 2 feet should be primary.

It would suck as a fan of that respective team though. I mean we're never going to be faced with it, but imagine waking up one and the NRL has decided it's gonna relocate Brisbane to somewhere else, it would be fucked.

That's why it should be based on genuine memberships. The club(s) with the least invested members gets booted because the least people then get disappointed. If the club wants to survive they'll do everything to appeal to their fanbase.

Brisbane
NQ
Newcastle
Canberra
Storms
NZ
Perth
Redcliffe
Titans

Easts
Souths
St Merge
Parra
Tigpies
Penrith
Doggies

Bye bye Manly and Peptide Paul

Brisbane
NQ
Newcastle
Canberra
Storms
NZ
Perth
Redcliffe
Titans

Easts
Souths
St Merge
Parra
Tigpies
Penrith
Doggies

Bye bye Manly and Peptide Paul

OrneryTameKingbird-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
14 teams play each other twice.
Plus relegation and promotion.

Fully agree with this.
If they’d done it back in 2000 Souths probably would have lost their court case as they wouldn’t have been kicked out of the comp just relegated to a lower tier.
Also the nrl wouldn’t need to agonise over who to cut or bring in as the top team in lower div automatically goes up and the bottom one in the higher div goes down.
And teams don’t have to panic about being ‘finished’ forever as there would still be a way back to the top div.
To bad the nrl don’t have the brains to look at this.

I go the opposite way, having a new team allows organic growth in the community. Dumping someone elses team in your backyard won't get the support it needs, won't feel like theirs. Plus, whoever it is that loses their team isn't likely to switch over to the newly relocated one, they'll more than likely just abandon the game.
You’ve convinced me. A few less Canterbury and Cronulla supporters would raise the tone nicely. How about the Christmas Island Bulldogs?

I really think outside the city but close to it is the way to go . Ipswich would make sense with the growth, close to the city and opens up the western corridor. Redcliffe has its merits too can market it to the north side and the sunny coast

It terms or relocation move the wests tigers to Perth and you wouldn’t even have to change the name

I'm keen for expansion in Brisbane to happen just to watch the morons have a cry when the franchise doesn't perform as well as they think it will and barely dents the Broncos dominance in the region. Some ridiculous conspiracy theory about the Broncos torpedoing them somehow will inevitably come about.

Sydney is getting pretty thin, ideally Cronulla need to relocate to Central Coast and tigers back to Campbletown base.

Once this is fixed then they can work with either a Perth team or second Brisbane team.
You'd have trouble shifting Cronulla, they're quite asset rich. It's the inner city clubs that need looking at. Manly, Westigers,Roosters,Dogs,Parra,Souths. They need amalgamation into a super team or two. Superleague had the answers. Those aforementioned clubs should retain their identity (playing in a lesser competition) and provide players to two new entities, two new mega teams. Never happen. I don't think there's an answer other than the Darwinian one. Stop funding mediocrity, allow a struggle until inevitable death and from the remains let a phoenix rise.

You'd have trouble shifting Cronulla, they're quite asset rich. It's the inner city clubs that need looking at. Manly, Westigers,Roosters,Dogs,Parra,Souths. They need amalgamation into a super team or two. Superleague had the answers. Those aforementioned clubs should retain their identity (playing in a lesser competition) and provide players to two new entities, two new mega teams. Never happen. I don't think there's an answer other than the Darwinian one. Stop funding mediocrity, allow a struggle until inevitable death and from the remains let a phoenix rise.

What assets do they have Huge? I know they had an interest in some apartment building worth about 2 million i heard they were selling. Dont they have a $2.5 million loan to be paid back in 12 months and another $1.5 million debt that has to be paid this week? Wont they have to sell a lot of any assets they have?

OH, and whats a Westigers?

Last edited:
What assets do they have Huge? I know they had an interest in some apartment building worth about 2 million i heard they were selling. Dont they have a $2.5 million loan to be paid back in 12 months and another $1.5 million debt that has to be paid this week? Wont they have to sell a lot of any assets they have?

OH, and whats a Westigers?
Last first. It's an amalgam of Wests and Tigers. Wests were a Sydney club and so were Balmain, known as the Tigers. Well, in time they merged and were known as the Wests Tigers! So, you know where I'm going don't you? That's right! Westigers, all in one neat package!

Cronulla own their own ground, clubhouse etc plus adjoining land they sold in a deal which sees them profit into the future according to my friend who played in the lower grades with ET and other future legends. How much is true I'm uncertain about but he is an honest guy with lifelong connection to the club. I think Cronulla are cash poor but healthy otherwise.

Last edited:
Last first. It's an amalgam of Wests and Tigers. Wests were a Sydney club and so were Balmain, known as the Tigers. Well, in time they merged and were known as the Wests Tigers! So, you know where I'm going don't you? That's right! Westigers, all in one neat package!

Cronulla own their own ground, clubhouse etc plus adjoining land they sold in a deal which sees them profit into the future according to my friend who played in the lower grades with ET and other future legends. How much is true I'm uncertain about but he is an honest guy with lifelong connection to the club. I think Cronulla are cash poor but healthy otherwise.

I gather its the adjoining land they are selling off to pay this $1.5 million loan.

I gather its the adjoining land they are selling off to pay this $1.5 million loan.
Well, my friend believes it's a parcel of land and not necessarily all of the land. No matter, I think a big parcel of land in Sydney and near the beach would have to bring way more than 1.5. ****, I'll give them 1.6 if they give me the lot!

Last edited:
Well, my friend believes it's a parcel of land and not necessarily all of the land. No matter, I think a big parcel of land in Sydney and near the beach would have to bring way more than 1.5. ****, I'll give them 1.6 if they give me the lot!

Whatever it is, its supposed to be bringing in 2 million.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Matheos
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Gaz
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.