LNP Leadership Spills - The Neverending story

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
So...Turnbull resigned? I'm sorry I'm really not up to date with this. Can someone give me a quick heads up? Why didn't Turnbull contest?

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane
So...Turnbull resigned? I'm sorry I'm really not up to date with this. Can someone give me a quick heads up? Why didn't Turnbull contest?
He took the fact that there was two votes to oust him within 3 days as a signal that he wasn't wanted. He's apparently resigning from parliament altogether.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Dutton wanted a challenge.
Turnbull pulled it early before the numbers were in.
That night Dutton circulated a petition to try for another that same night.
Turnbull the next day said IF he got a letter with 43 signatures, he would call a meeting to spill and see it as a vote of no confidence and not contest and resign.
That letter came through today.
Bishop, Dutton and Morrison put their hands up
Bishop out first round.
Morrison won 45 - 40

Not sure it Mal has resigned or not. If he does, it will trigger a by-election. KAP still have not decided if they will support the new PM or not.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Ok so here is how it went down
On Tuesday, there were murmurs of a challenge coming from Dutton for the PM spot. Turnbull called a meeting immediately, announced a spill and won by a small margin over Dutton. This caught Dutton by surprise as he didn't have the numbers yet, but he was going to get the number by the end of the week because the result was so close and he was going to call it later in the week. Turnbull then tried to delay him by saying he needed a petition to call for a spill and if they come up with the signatures he would get his spill and he wouldn't nominate. He also said that he wouldn't accept his nomination as PM until the governor generals solicitor ticked off that he was eligible to run (effectively stalling him so he could give Morrison time to rally the troops)
They had their spill at lunch time today, Dutton, Morrison and Bishop all went for leader. Bishop fell out first, then Morrison won the final tally of 45-40.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Scott Morrison will be the new PM. But fuckin hell, shit still is going to suck for at least a bit. If Turnbull has resigned completely, they need to go to a By-Election, and if Labor win, Shorten will be the PM without an election.
Turnbulls seat is one of the safest in Australia. There is alike a 18% swing needed for it to fall

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
Someone advising Dutton screwed up baaaaad. He must have been pretty bloody confident considering how quickly he moved to get this done. Still laughing about it all. The lot of them are a fucking disgrace. Di Natale certainly didn't miss.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
They should make voting in Australia non-compulsory at this point, it's such a farce that we in essence have no say in who's to lead our country.

Socnorb

NRL Captain
They should make voting in Australia non-compulsory at this point, it's such a farce that we in essence have no say in who's to lead our country.
People have got to start understanding, we the people elect a party, not a prime minister, anyone who believes they are voting for a prime minister is mistaken. we should never go down that American path to executive power.
and on another note, we must hang on to our right to vote anything to diminish voter numbers is a step in the wrong direction.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Nah, the issue with this statement is just another Australian who doesn't know how our government is elected. Yes, it's a damned farce, but no matter how you spin it, we, the people, do not vote for a PM. We vote for our local member. If you are voting for X to be PM, you're voting for the wrong reason.

Edit: Didn't see above me.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
If you are voting for X to be PM, you're voting for the wrong reason.
Is that really for you to say though? Voting is compulsory, I feel as if people should vote for whoever / whatever reason they feel like, whether it be for their preferred local representative, or simply as a proxy vote for their preferred Prime Minister.

Probably a moot point at this stage, as people will rapidly stop voting for anything beyond local as they haven't got a clue if their preferred party leader will even last a month in the top job.

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
People have got to start understanding, we the people elect a party, not a prime minister, anyone who believes they are voting for a prime minister is mistaken. we should never go down that American path to executive power.
and on another note, we must hang on to our right to vote anything to diminish voter numbers is a step in the wrong direction.
Every election I end up having to explain this to people after they say something along the lines of....

"I'm not voting for "X" party. That guy's a fuckwit"
"I'm not voting for Howard, he's pretty old. Might die"
"Kevin Rudd is better looking"

Those last 2 were actual things BTW.....

That said though, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the leader of the party during the election will be the PM and remain the PM for the duration. People have the right to be disgruntled when this isn't the case IMO......if for no other reason than the time it takes up. Time that the party should be using to do what they were elected to do, run the country.

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Every election I end up having to explain this to people after they say something along the lines of....

That said though, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the leader of the party during the election will be the PM and remain the PM for the duration. People have the right to be disgruntled when this isn't the case IMO......if for no other reason than the time it takes up. Time that the party should be using to do what they were elected to do, run the country.
I take your point, and it could be argued that a particular leader may shape the policy direction of the party.
Given our recent history though, there is no way a change of leaders can be taken an injustice to your voting rights, it's simply the way politics works in the current environment .

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Absolutely, it's a disgrace. It's more than reasonable to expect that the person who ends up being PM should remain there for the entire term, but it still doesn't change the fact that if you are voting for who you want to be the PM, you are not voting correctly.

Is that really for you to say though? Voting is compulsory, I feel as if people should vote for whoever / whatever reason they feel like, whether it be for their preferred local representative, or simply as a proxy vote for their preferred Prime Minister.

Probably a moot point at this stage, as people will rapidly stop voting for anything beyond local as they haven't got a clue if their preferred party leader will even last a month in the top job.
Fortunately you don't need to take my word on it. There is plenty of information online via the AEC or Wikipedia about how the Westminster System works. People will always vote for whatever reason they want, but that doesn't mean they are voting correctly.

I always remember speaking with Teresa Gambaro back when Rudd put Labor into power. She mentioned that she had people complaining to her that they still wanted her, but didn't want Howard so they voted Rudd.

I agree that voting shouldn't be compulsory, I think people should be able to go out and vote if they feel strongly about the election, if not, whatever.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Fortunately you don't need to take my word on it. There is plenty of information online via the AEC or Wikipedia about how the Westminster System works. People will always vote for whatever reason they want, but that doesn't mean they are voting correctly.

I always remember speaking with Teresa Gambaro back when Rudd put Labor into power. She mentioned that she had people complaining to her that they still wanted her, but didn't want Howard so they voted Rudd.

I agree that voting shouldn't be compulsory, I think people should be able to go out and vote if they feel strongly about the election, if not, whatever.
Never disputed that nor said anything to the contrary, just said a lot of people vote that way.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Never disputed that nor said anything to the contrary, just said a lot of people vote that way.
Re-reading my original post, I shouldn't have ended with wrong reasons. I have caused extra political posts for nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter