Badel Warning Lockyer: Bronco's mission impossible

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
TL;DR: Hang 'em up, Darius. Hang 'em up, Macca.

Brisbane’s battle to retain young stars as rivals circle

Peter Badel,
The Sunday Mail (Qld)
August 24, 2019 4:55pm

Brisbane board member Darren Lockyer says the Broncos face a Mission Impossible task to keep their young stars as cashed-up NRL rivals prepare to launch a big-money poaching raid on boom centre Kotoni Staggs.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Manly and Newcastle are among the suitors determined to prise Staggs from Red Hill following a breakthrough season that has seen him go from unproven utility to Brisbane’s premier centre. And in a revelation that will ring alarm bells, Lockyer, a member of the club’s recruitment-and-retention committee, concedes a salary cap squeeze leaves the Broncos vulnerable to attacks on their rising talents.

Kotoni Staggs‘s future at the club remains uncertain. Photo: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

Kotoni Staggs‘s future at the club remains uncertain. Photo: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

Staggs and Queensland Origin powerhouse David Fifita are among 11 Broncos off-contract next season. With Fifita set to attract $1 million offers in the wake of his rampaging display against South Sydney on Friday night, Brisbane are confronting a salary cap nightmare.

Staggs is one of Brisbane’s lowest-paid full-time players on around $200,000 a season, but such has been his meteoric rise this year, he could earn in excess of $400,000 on the open market. The strike weapon can field formal offers from November 1 and with Manly and Newcastle ready to up the ante, Lockyer admits Broncos bosses have to make some tough financial calls in pursuit of their first premiership in 13 years.

The rise of Jake Turpin, Staggs and David Fifita has been impressive. Photo: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

The rise of Jake Turpin, Staggs and David Fifita has been impressive. Photo: Ian Hitchcock/Getty Images

“It’s probably going to be impossible to keep them all together,” Lockyer said. “With so many great young kids coming through, if you know they are talented and have an attitude to applying themselves, securing them to long-term years is ideal. “The tricky part for us is keeping all these kids together after success. “Everyone’s value just goes up. We all know the forward pack has huge potential, David Fifita is doing great things, but the challenge now is holding onto as many kids as we can.” Melbourne and Queensland champion Cameron Smith warned the Broncos a fortnight ago that the constraints of the salary cap would make it almost impossible to keep their bulging stable of young guns together.

David Fifita would be a huge loss. Photo: AAP Image/Dan Peled

David Fifita would be a huge loss. Photo: AAP Image/Dan Peled

Now the situation is worryingly real for the Broncos. It is understood off-contract winger Corey Oates’ desire to sign a three-year extension with the Broncos is being held up as Brisbane chiefs crunch the numbers to ensure the club is salary cap compliant. Under NRL rules, clubs must register a contract with the salary cap auditor within five days of publicly announcing a player’s signing. Given that time frame, the Broncos won’t announce Oates’ retention until they have complete certainty of their salary cap position.

Broncos press conference

There is no danger of Oates being lost to the Broncos, but securing Staggs and Fifita could prove more challenging as NRL rivals look to capitalise on Brisbane’s potential oversupply of talent. “We have to keep Staggs,” Lockyer said. “Kotoni has a wonderful attitude, he is the type of guy the Broncos want for the long term but it will be a battle to keep them all.” Brisbane’s greatest centre, tryscoring legend Steve Renouf, appealed for the club to retain Staggs.

“Kotoni has been a revelation, he is a super talent,” Renouf said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of clubs targeted Kotoni. That’s the nature of the beast for the Broncos, they have to do their best to hold onto as many kids as they can under the salary cap.

Last edited:

Allo

NRL Captain
While I understand that we want to remove any notion of players leaving, we still do have another season to sign these guys. It’s not panic stations just yet.

Having said that, some of our ‘leaders’ should accept the reality, leave the club and/or retire with some goodwill. Do the right thing if they really want the club to succeed.

pagey

NRL Captain
Manly won't be able to afford shit after signing both turbos, and Walker and they've got some good backs coming through too.
Newcastle need every cent to keep ponga, so **** you badel.

heartly87

QCup Player
Again the club that works hard and brings the youngsters through will be gutted. Biggest joke in the NRL. The fuckhead clubs that churn through players and are always on the market do nothing for these kids. I know Ese Ese was a Dog but he came up here a nobody had a good year took a pay day and now is a nobody again. You can find them all over, Broncos talent getting pay they didn't rightly deserve at the time coming undone. I doubt Taylor or Hunt think anything is better apart from their accounts. Nikorima brothers who? ones career flushed by the roorters and the others ego had him leave to play the same utility role he was offered here.

When everything pans out maybe it's the players character that has them chase the money and maybe its the same character that has them struggle when not in a club like ours.

We really need to hope that the ones we want to stay have t he character to hold out and reap the rewards down the track. **** I cant stand the cap as it is.

Broncapz

QCup Player
It's pretty obvious what they're doing. They're opening the door for Darius as subtley as they can. The narrative is set for Darius retiring selflessly.

If he doesn't and we lose Fafita or Staggs because of this, then Darius will surpass Mundine as the least liked Bronco in history.

rnabokov

State of Origin Rep
Bangalow
To me it is utterly incomprehensible, even criminal, that we end up with Dariu$$$ and Macca next year at the expense of Fifita and Staggs.

While NRL is certainly big business, and player's understandably choose to secure their futures, it is a damn tragedy Dariu$$$ and Macca put self interest above the best interests of the team, and the club to force Staggs and Fifita to go elsewhere

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I want Darius gone as much as anybody but wtf does Darius have to do with Fifita remaining at the club?

They're both on the cap and accounted for next year.

The club can absolutely incentivise him to quit a year early but no one is leaving 700k or whatever it is on the table so the company can keep someone else without something in return.

Anyone who wouldn't personally be willing to flat out revoke a 6 figure contract for the noble pursuit of helping their employer out shouldn't criticise Boyd for it either. Not forgetting this same employer sacked the entire coaching staff, without payout, simply because they wanted to go in a new direction. Loyalty means squat. I'd bet most people here would be going to small claims court if a company did them $500 wrong on a contract.

He's a pretty bad player now, and he should piss off, but acting all high and mighty like he should quit simply because there's a young junior who isn't already signed in 2021 is just shit.

Why doesn't Bird do the noble thing and **** off? We've paid him about 1.7M for about 9 games of **** all. What about Macca? He's been paid to throw a wobbly slow pass and **** up our attack for 10 years. It's a silly thing to get pissed off at Boyd about, get pissed at the club.

It seems Seibold is right, Boyd is an easy target.
He's now not only THE reason for us losing most games, he's also responsible for our salary cap management and retention of juniors.

I have no doubt Boyd will quit next year, if not this year. Fifita and Boyd's contract won't be in competition.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
To me it is utterly incomprehensible, even criminal, that we end up with Dariu$$$ and Macca next year at the expense of Fifita and Staggs.

While NRL is certainly big business, and player's understandably choose to secure their futures, it is a damn tragedy Dariu$$$ and Macca put self interest above the best interests of the team, and the club to force Staggs and Fifita to go elsewhere
Have we not had it confirmed by Joe that Fifita will sign long term? Also, if we were to lose any of our young guns, staggs would be at the top of my cull list. I really like him but not nearly as much as all of the players we have secured already,

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I want Darius gone as much as anybody but wtf does Darius have to do with Fafita remaining at the club?

The club can absolutely incentivise him to quit a year early but no one is leaving 700k or whatever it is on the table so the company can keep someone else without something in return.

Anyone who wouldn't personally be willing to flat out revoke a 6 figure contract for the noble pursuit of helping their employer out shouldn't criticise Boyd for it either. Not forgetting this same employer sacked the entire coaching staff, without payout, simply because they wanted to go in a new direction. Loyalty means squat. I'd bet most people here would be going to small claims court if a company did them $500 wrong on a contract.

He's a pretty bad player now, and he should piss off, but acting all high and mighty like he should quit simply because there's a young junior who isn't already signed in 2021 is just shit.

Why doesn't Bird do the noble thing and **** off? We've paid him about 1.7M for about 9 games of **** all. What about Macca? He's been paid to throw a wobbly slow pass and **** up our attack for 10 years. It's a silly thing to get pissed off at Boyd about, get pissed at the club.

He's now not only THE reason for us losing most games, he's also responsible for our salary cap management and retention of juniors.

I have no doubt Boyd will quit next year, if not this year. Fafita and Boyd's contract won't be in competition.
Disagree. All the best ex-players say the same thing, that you just know when to retire. The barman has called last drinks, but Darius continues to hang around like a bad smell, pretending he didn't hear the call. Collecting the cash. He's already bluffed his way through 2 seasons of inept performances with his instincts firmly focussed on self-preservation, I don't think I can handle a 3rd.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Disagree. All the best ex-players say the same thing, that you just know when to retire. The barman has called last drinks, but Darius continues to hang around like a bad smell, pretending he didn't hear the call. Collecting the cash. He's already bluffed his way through 2 seasons of inept performances with his instincts firmly focussed on self-preservation, I don't think I can handle a 3rd.
And that's fine, you do you, but criticising him if we lose Fifita is ridiculous, that's on the club.

Call him a shit player, selfish, whatever you want to call it but Fifita's retention is purely and solely the responsibility of the club. Why did we re-sign OFfa at all? Maybe he should do the noble thing and find another club so we can spend his 500x4 years towards Fafita instead. That game can be played with every player.

Oh yeah, and he should have retired last year. I thought it was injuries last year so I wasn't too vocal but he's clearly just regressed and it's not a form thing either.

Last edited:

Stu_9

QCup Player
The only way that I can see us retaining the young talent is by shopping players around that we can fill with others that are in our top 30.
The like of Macca, Isaako, Gillo, Offa, Bird and Glenn come to mind. I don’t think anyone would really want Darius..
I have no doubts there would be clubs that would want each of those players.
It doesn’t mean I want them gone from the club, but if the club are genuine about keeping the best of this young crop, then some extremely hard decisions are going to have to be made from top down.
The good thing is the likes of Fifi and Staggs are still on the books for next year.
We have a few coming off contract at the end of 2020 that I would have a seriously hard think about if we do in fact need to re-sign them ie Milford.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
And that's fine, you do you, but criticising him if we lose Fifita is ridiculous, that's on the club.

Call him a shit player, selfish, whatever you want to call it but Fifita's retention is purely and solely the responsibility of the club. Why did we re-sign OFfa at all? Maybe he should do the noble thing and find another club so we can spend his 500x4 years towards Fafita instead. That game can be played with every player.
Not really. Every other player is having a go. Even Macca may not be that great, but at least he tries.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
I want Darius gone as much as anybody but wtf does Darius have to do with Fafita remaining at the club?

I have no doubt Boyd will quit next year, if not this year. Fafita and Boyd's contract won't be in competition.
It's the internet mate, everything gets blown out to ridiculous proportions and plenty of people are happy to run their mouths at full volume, amping each other up and reinforcing an enormous narrative that's been spun around a grain or two of truth.
- Merged

Not really. Every other player is having a go. Even Macca may not be that great, but at least he tries.
And there we go for example number 1.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I dont believe a single person on here would sacrifice 700k+ a year. Not a single one. Its easy to say that you would be in reality, you wouldnt, especially if you had a family to think about.

The Boyd bashing is getting so old. He is being blamed for things out of his control. His performances can be criticised, and rightly so, thats fair game imo. Nobody knows whats going on behind the scenes, but i'm fairly sure Boyd has the coaches backing and the coach thinks he is doing the job, so why should he call it quits if he still feels ok. There are 3 or 4 people that should be the target of criticism for Boyds contract and Boyd isnt one of them. There is only one person who should be copping grief for Boyd being in the team every week, and thats Seibold. Dont blame Boyd for cap mismanagement.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It's the internet mate, everything gets blown out to ridiculous proportions and plenty of people are happy to run their mouths at full volume, amping each other up and reinforcing an enormous narrative that's been spun around a grain or two of truth.
- Merged

And there we go for example number 1.
I understand some of it, I was amongst his biggest fans but he's regressed so far I can't wait to see him hang up the boots and hope he retires this year and I reckon Foordy Foordy might be onto something about him retiring quietly with no fuss.

The guy is still human, Macca is one of my least favourite Broncos of all time but I won't rag on the bloke every week and blame him for all sorts of untold misfortunes at the club. He's just a guy, doing his job, to the best of his ability, that he is overrated by his employer isn't some sort of great sin on his part. Macca plz go to another club last year or something but for real, we need to stop this culture of relentlessly bullying people. Imagine if people were this committed to holding politicians to account? They're actually employed by the public.

It's been made clear by all and sundry he needs to go, at some point you just need to accept it is ultimately a business and the responsibility lies with the decision makers. If you feel that strongly, rag on Locky, Seibold, White and the rest of management, they're the ones who are actually employed to make these decisions.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
I understand some of it, I was amongst his biggest fans but he's regressed so far I can't wait to see him hang up the boots and hope he retires this year and I reckon Foordy Foordy might be onto something about him retiring quietly with no fuss.

The guy is still human, Macca is one of my least favourite Broncos of all time but I won't rag on the bloke every week and blame him for all sorts of untold misfortunes at the club. He's just a guy, doing his job, to the best of his ability, that he is overrated by his employer isn't some sort of great sin on his part. Macca plz go to another club last year or something but for real, we need to stop this culture of relentlessly bullying people. Imagine if people were this committed to holding politicians to account? They're actually employed by the public.

It's been made clear by all and sundry he needs to go, at some point you just need to accept it is ultimately a business and the responsibility lies with the decision makers. If you feel that strongly, rag on Locky, Seibold, White and the rest of management, they're the ones who are actually employed to make these decisions.
I have said a few times at the very, very least Seibold needs to strip him of the captaincy before rd1 next year and preferably not run out at all. If Boyd runs out as captain in a spine position next year then Seibs will have lost me.

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Right, so your response is to provide a link to a thread where a bunch of people work themselves into a frenzy over all the ways a targetted player is a shit **** loser who phones it in and doesn't care and his dad is actually Wayne Bennett who gave him a million dollar multi year contract for no reason. Look at him getting stomped by Ramien, it's the first time in history that an outside back has absolutely monstered a defender. Consider me told off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter