Badel Warning Lockyer: Bronco's mission impossible

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Right, so your response is to provide a link to a thread where a bunch of people work themselves into a frenzy over all the ways a targetted player is a shit **** loser who phones it in and doesn't care and his dad is actually Wayne Bennett who gave him a million dollar multi year contract for no reason. Look at him getting stomped by Ramien, it's the first time in history that an outside back has absolutely monstered a defender. Consider me told off.
I thought it was on par with your response of "it's the internet so all the people who disagree with me(99%) are wrong)

Jedhead

NRL Player
I think Seibs is using Boyd as a set of safety wheels to help manage the young guns through their early learning stages.

Next year those wheels need to be taken away to allow the young ones to free-wheel under their own steam. They may not win anything next year either but it will be the next step in the process of moulding a team together. By 2021 we will have a team who are NRL hardend, wise to the 'effort' plays required to win tight games and fully familiar with each others and the teams plays.

I think Boyd has fully fullfilled Seibs wishes this year by playing nursemaid to a very young squad.

Having said that, I just wish we had a better rolemodel then Boyd as some of the rubbish he has served up this season has been nothing short of atrocious.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I have said a few times at the very, very least Seibold needs to strip him of the captaincy before rd1 next year and preferably not run out at all. If Boyd runs out as captain in a spine position next year then Seibs will have lost me.
Do you think he's already been told he won't be in first grade next year? TBH I do, and I think they're just giving him a dignified send off. The guy is absolutely a liability now, I can't even see him being useful at centre. He's bloody bad, no way Seibold can't see it.

Last edited:

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Do you think he's already been told he won't be in first grade next year? TBH I do, and I think they're just giving him a dignified send off. The guy is absolutely a liability now, I can't even see him being useful at centre. He's bloody bad, no way Seibold can't see it.
Would like to think so. But the way he is still preserving himself, the way he has tried to claim he is playing well...you never know.
- Merged

Maybe you should reread what I said.
Ok so I reread it....what pearl of wisdom am I still missing?

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
I have said a few times at the very, very least Seibold needs to strip him of the captaincy before rd1 next year and preferably not run out at all. If Boyd runs out as captain in a spine position next year then Seibs will have lost me.
Not removing captaincy from Boyd this preseason is seibs’ biggest error so far. And that is fucking saying something.

Reactions: Tom

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Would like to think so. But the way he is still preserving himself, the way he has tried to claim he is playing well...you never know.
Look, I won't lie, part of me thinks maybe Seibold and Darius are as delusional as each other but there's no way between Locky, Seibold, his assistant coaches and the board can't see what we see.

If he is actually running out, especially in the spine next year, I might write off Seibold myself.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I read last week, I think by drunk Rothfield that the Inglis deal was approved by the NRL. So there you go, give him 250k X 4 years to be a "mental health ambassador". If those cunts can do it, so can we.

Last edited:

broncsgoat

NRL Captain
I read last week, I think by drunk Rothfield that the Inglis deal was approved by the NRL. So there you go, give him 250k X 4 years to be a "mental health ambassador". If those cunts can do it, so can we.
All Boyd needs to do is come out with another I think I’m in good form article and the NRL will know he’s insane. Medically retire him for that.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Look, I won't lie, part of me thinks maybe Seibold and Darius are as delusional as each other but there's no way between Locky, Seibold, his assistant coaches and the board can't see what we see.

If he is actually running out, especially in the spine next year, I might write off Seibold myself.
The thing is, Seibs and his support staff are very statistic based. The players have targets to meet in training and in games. If they dont meet them, they drop down the pecking order in Seibolds depth chart. Its pretty common knowledge we do that and Seibs has mentioned it himself iirc.

Locky and others would be a different story. Darius doesn't look at the media, so he wouldn't see anything there. I don't believe he has been told he won't be playing first grade, but i do think he will call it a day at the end of this year. No matter what people say about him on here, he isn't a selfish bloke these days, and he does try his best. His best just isn't up to standard anymore. I do think he has some kind of mental block possibly in his game, not in a mental health type issue, just in a way that he always seems to be looking to brace himself for contact to protect himself, he seems very rigid and robotic in his movements. He doesn't play instinctively anymore.

john1420

NRL Player
I dont believe a single person on here would sacrifice 700k+ a year. Not a single one. Its easy to say that you would be in reality, you wouldnt, especially if you had a family to think about.

The Boyd bashing is getting so old. He is being blamed for things out of his control. His performances can be criticised, and rightly so, thats fair game imo. Nobody knows whats going on behind the scenes, but i'm fairly sure Boyd has the coaches backing and the coach thinks he is doing the job, so why should he call it quits if he still feels ok. There are 3 or 4 people that should be the target of criticism for Boyds contract and Boyd isnt one of them. There is only one person who should be copping grief for Boyd being in the team every week, and thats Seibold. Dont blame Boyd for cap mismanagement.
I'm not so sure, it all depends upon circumstances
It's easy to say you wouldn't make that sacrifice, but that comes from a position of probably not having enough money in the bank/investments that you don't actually need any more money
If I had say, 2 mill in the bank or otherwise invested, and a promise of a well paid job at the club, in the vicinity of 2-300k annually, then yeah I very well might consider it
Even at a purely financial level anyone can see that 10 years at 300k is better than 2 years at 700k

Last edited:

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Ok so I reread it....what pearl of wisdom am I still missing?
Which bit do you disagree with - that people on the internet are prone to hyperbole and this can lead to a positive feedback loop that takes small things and blows them way out of proportion, or that your claim Boyd doesn't even try isn't symptomatic of this, or that linking me to a thread full of that very same phenomenon doesn't provide an insightful response?

If your reading comprehension is so poor that you can still look at anything I've said in here and reduce it to "it's the internet so all the people who disagree with me(99%) are wrong" then by all means don't bother replying.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Which bit do you disagree with - that people on the internet are prone to hyperbole and this can lead to a positive feedback loop that takes small things and blows them way out of proportion, or that your claim Boyd doesn't even try isn't symptomatic of this, or that linking me to a thread full of that very same phenomenon doesn't provide an insightful response?

If your reading comprehension is so poor that you can still look at anything I've said in here and reduce it to "it's the internet so all the people who disagree with me(99%) are wrong" then by all means don't bother replying.
Falling over or taking a knee instead of attempting 1v1 tackles when you are fullback is not what I would consider a "small thing". I expect more from a captain playing first grade. We obviously disagree on a fundamental level.

Last edited:

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I'm not so sure, it all depends upon circumstances
It's easy to say you wouldn't make that sacrifice, but that comes from a position of probably not having enough money in the bank/investments that you don't actually need any more money
If I had say, 2 mill in the bank or otherwise invested, and a promise of a well paid job at the club, in the vicinity of 2-300k annually, then yeah I very well might consider it
Even at a purely financial level anyone can see that 10 years at 300k is better than 2 years at 700k
200-300k a year for the role Boyd would likely be moving into would never happen. Inglis is a bit of an exception as they are doing it to appease the NRL over him retiring. If he was going into coaching, maybe at some point he would get it. Your scenario would be a perfect solution in theory, i just dont see it being something that will happen. If i was guaranteed 3 million over 10 years, i'd switch roles, if i wasnt, i would stick with my 700k a year contract.
- Merged

Falling over or taking a knee instead of attempting 1v1 tackles when you are fullback is not what I would consider a "small thing". I expect more from a captain playing first grade. We obviously disagree on a fundamental level.
Its not a small thing, you are right about that, but if he was deliberately doing it his team mates would pick it up, the coaches would pick it up and they wouldnt back him like they do. You cant get away with letting down your team on purpose. What needs to be separated is him just not being capable with his effort. The effort is there, the capability to make the tackles and move like he used to isnt, and it makes him a liability. Seibold could have dealt with this situation after about 8 rounds of footy, and he hasnt.

Last edited:

pagey

NRL Captain
I dont believe a single person on here would sacrifice 700k+ a year. Not a single one. Its easy to say that you would be in reality, you wouldnt, especially if you had a family to think about.

The Boyd bashing is getting so old. He is being blamed for things out of his control. His performances can be criticised, and rightly so, thats fair game imo. Nobody knows whats going on behind the scenes, but i'm fairly sure Boyd has the coaches backing and the coach thinks he is doing the job, so why should he call it quits if he still feels ok. There are 3 or 4 people that should be the target of criticism for Boyds contract and Boyd isnt one of them. There is only one person who should be copping grief for Boyd being in the team every week, and thats Seibold. Dont blame Boyd for cap mismanagement.
There's no way I would, but maybe if I got offered a lower payed job for more years.
Say a $150k over 5 year's at the club I would, , depends what was on offer. You can't play footy for ever so if there's as n incentive to give up that $700k , it could work out better.

QCup Player
At one point does the tide turn from putting up with roadblocking the team with performances not up to par, to turning on Seibs as to why hes continually getting picked...

theshed

NRL Player
Has smoking joe just co-signed that Boyd is retiring at end of season?

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Personally my gut says that there is more to this talk of cap trouble, I actually have a feeling that the club is attempting to 're-align expectations' of players and managers.

If the club puts out the message of cap trouble and 'cries poor' then of course the club can only pay so much for contracts and is no longer a cash cow.

The club had fallen into a trap of paying overs and I don't think the club are going to do that anymore.

To play for this club is privilege, the club will look after you if they want to stay but you have to takes less, if its about the money then some other club can pay the overs.

Last edited:

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
You know what I’ve been thinking? Why was it such an issue stripping Boyd of the captaincy in the first place?
Didn’t Hook come in and strip Thaiday of the captaincy in honour of Parker, then Wayne stripped Parker of the captaincy and give it to Hodges?
It’s not like Boyd was Darren Lockyer-esque or even playing good footy last year.
There’s absolutely no reason Seibs couldn’t have stripped Boyd of the captaincy, if the players had’ve sooked, that’s on them.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
You know what I’ve been thinking? Why was it such an issue stripping Boyd of the captaincy in the first place?
Didn’t Hook come in and strip Thaiday of the captaincy in honour of Parker, then Wayne stripped Parker of the captaincy and give it to Hodges?
It’s not like Boyd was Darren Lockyer-esque or even playing good footy last year.
There’s absolutely no reason Seibs couldn’t have stripped Boyd of the captaincy, if the players had’ve sooked, that’s on them.
The more I think about it the more I feel he's going to dig his heels in. If his plan was to retire at the end of this year then wouldn't it be in the best interests of everyone to have already announced it? Get the entire fanbase off his back and right behind him?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter