NEWS Lockyer: buy in or risk being binned

Given the fallout, there is pressure on the Broncos to go to market to buy a playmaker. Jake Turpin is a tough competitor but he is a hooker, not a genuine halfback. Rookie Tom Dearden has the potential to be a clever little general, but he will need time to develop and require a five-eighth to complement him. Most people would agree the existing talent at the club is not an issue. But the leadership framework to help cultivate the emerging talent is the challenge Seibold must tackle in the off-season. In their last three playoff games, the Broncos have been beaten 30-0 by Melbourne (2017), 48-18 by the Dragons last year, and 58-0 by the Eels. That’s 136 points conceded at an average of 45 per game.

Defence is attitude and those blowouts indicate the attitude over the past three seasons is not where it needs to be. We’re not rising to the big occasions. When it matters, the Broncos crack. There has been much discussion over the club’s decision to hand Seibold a five-year contract. It was a strategy to give the club long-term stability and give Seibold time to develop the exciting group of young guns, such as Payne Haas, David Fifita and Kotoni Staggs, who many would agree have the ability to bring sustained success to the Broncos. A genuine playmaker shapes as the final piece in the puzzle to reap the benefits of their forward talent.

Locky is on the board, so he's basically just clued us in to what they are planning.

Quite a refreshing, honest summary from Lockyer. He didn't pull many punches yet was diplomatic in his usual, reserved approach. Let us hope Seibold holds the same views; particularly regarding the urgency around buying a classy half for 2020.

Last edited:
Locky is on the board, so he's basically just clued us in to what they are planning.

Ok, is Lockyer not simply reciting what every man and his dog have been braying for weeks if not longer. What has he said that we don't already know?

What's the point of this media release? Instead, Lockyer should just come clean and say the club, including him, fucked up and will now un-**** and get us the roster we should have had last year, one with quality play makers, and that the team desperately needs real leadership, something Boyd and the rest of the senior roster have failed dismally to deliver.

The repetitive media releases by the Broncos alumni are getting fucking tedious

He just tries to be on everyone’s side. Never wants to risk offending anyone

He is extremely diplomatic and doesn't like confrontation. I think that is one reason he was so universally loved as a player. He is the type of fella you'd want your daughter to marry. But yeah, as I say, hopefully Seibold is taking note of Locky's concerns.

He is extremely diplomatic and doesn't like confrontation. I think that is one reason he was so universally loved as a player. He is the type of fella you'd want your daughter to marry. But yeah, as I say, hopefully Seibold is taking note of Locky's concerns.

I just wonder if he could be more influential behind the scenes at least. Surely he could see the turpin Boyd combo was ridiculous but he still publicly backed Boyd for the 6.

I just wonder if he could be more influential behind the scenes at least. Surely he could see the turpin Boyd combo was ridiculous but he still publicly backed Boyd for the 6.
Exactly. Lockyer is a bronco God. Get him off that fucking board and down to training where it matters. **** you Lockyer, pick up your game.

Wouldn’t it be worse if he was undermining the head coach?
Wouldn't it be better if he was something other than a yes man? He has something special, pass it on. His expertise is better at training than it is in a boardroom.

I wonder how much Lockyer has to shoulder the blame for some of our silly cap situation atm with Boyd, Gillette, Macca.

He's both on the board and the coaches ears, so. Interesting thought.

I wonder if Locky will ever speak his mind.

Hopefully the point of that release was to tell us we are in the market for a half which hopefully means also that this ridiculous milf to 1 bullshit is about to end so we can see him light up the field beside a proper half. I think a Cronk type half is more important than a val Holmes fullback. I'd take both but if it cake to money, get a top tier half and a developing but promising fullback (like Drinkwater, papanfuckin, style). Once we have milf in a position to concentrate on running off the back of this forward pack and not trying to organise anything we will be a prem threat.

On the field locky was one of our top 2 ever along with alf.

Off the field he has had a number of issues, including presiding over the signing of Bird and the re-signing of Boyd, some of the worst decisions in our history. We all saw Boyd's resigning as objectively bad from the outside and that Jack Bird was a Sydney boy with a lifetime of injury and health issues.

If anyone should be under the microscope it should be guys like our chairman, CEO and our untouchable recruitment and retention heads. We need these guys out the fknway and seibs given free reign ala an Alex Ferguson or Pep type of role.

Having said that seibs needs to step up. He fancies himself as the NRLs Pete Carroll but pales very much in comparison with even guys like Brad Arthur.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • thenry
  • Maroon4life
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Battler
  • Big Del
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Johnny92
  • Dash
  • Splinter
  • LittleDavey
  • Financeguy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Ejbroncos
  • lynx000
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.