Lockyer Surgery

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Knee surgery delays Brisbane captain Darren Lockyer's pre-season
By Dan Koch
January 13, 2009 SKIPPER Darren Lockyer's return to Brisbane pre-season training has been delayed by surgery on the same knee he struggled with during the first half of last year.

Monday marked the official start of 2009 preparations for several of the NRL's biggest names with Karmichael Hunt and new recruit Israel Folau at training with Broncos' team-mates after last week's camp; Johnathan Thurston out for his first run of the new year at North Queensland; and Australia duo Billy Slater and Cameron Smith joining their counterparts at Melbourne.

However, after arthroscopic surgery in late December, Lockyer has been put on restricted duties and is scheduled to rejoin team-mates on Australia Day - the same date Justin Hodges is expected back from a six-week leave of absence to deal with personal matters.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

Didn't the club say there was no surgery done? Or none needed?

Whatever the case I reckon he can take an extended leave. If he rushes back again and spends most of the first half of the season on the sidelines I'll be pissed off.

He needs to take it easy for the next few weeks, maybe even month or so! I dont really have a doubt that hes physically up for the season apart from these knee issues, so I am sure it will only be stuff like weights and a bit of fitness stuff that he'd be doing anyway

Lockyer is a player that has proven time and time again, that he doesn't need to train to perform. He would still be doing everything, just less ball work (which he doesn't "need" anyway) and little running.

He'll come back late, but he'll be good all season.

Hopefully the haters recognise Locky's absence, before they slaughter Henjak, if we lose the first few.

Hopefully he takes the extra time off and learns how to tackle.

FCB BB AKA MB said:

Chomp!

Why would he need to? He's at the backend of a career of teh highest standard. He's the Australian captain, has been forever and is rated as the greatest player in the game by 90% of NRL followers.

I'd hope he doesn't change a single thing to his game, as he has already proved, over a decade +, that he is the complete package.

If you wanna get bites, you should try someone other than the messiah....it's lame and frankly, on a Broncos forum, it's disrespectful.

Lockyer is god.

But John's could tackle. That makes him god's god.

Lockyer can tackle, its just that everyone remebers the ones he has missed.

Because most of the ones he misses are crucial, game changing tackles.

Hammo said:
FCB BB AKA MB said:

Chomp!

Why would he need to? He's at the backend of a career of teh highest standard. He's the Australian captain, has been forever and is rated as the greatest player in the game by 90% of NRL followers.

I'd hope he doesn't change a single thing to his game, as he has already proved, over a decade +, that he is the complete package.

If you wanna get bites, you should try someone other than the messiah....it's lame and frankly, on a Broncos forum, it's disrespectful.

Lockyer is god.

great post. Lockyer is actually god.

Coxy said:
Because most of the ones he misses are crucial, game changing tackles.

Outside of his debut match back in 1998 for Australia (which might I add he bounced back and was an absolute star in the Broncos thumping against Norths after being savaged publically by every man and his dog, wont play again for his Country indeed [icon_lol1. ) I can't recall Lockyer making that many critical mistackles or horror games since then that have changed the nature of a game, infact even if you weighed up all those games it wouldn't even appear on the radar compared to the positive influence he makes on winnning a game for his side. Lockyer has his flaws in defence I will grant but his not the liability his made to out to be by his critics and so called fans.

I love Lockyer, but he can't tackle very well. Look at the try he handed NZ in the World Cup Final as one of many pieces of evidence. I rate him as an equal to Johns and better than anyone else I have seen in attack, but since his move to 6 he consistently misses and falls off a lot of tackles. He was an amazing defender as a 1 but since becoming a 6 the workload obviously doesn't agree with him. It just annoys me that someone who has the physique he has and strength he has can fall off so many often straight forward tackles.

FCB BB AKA MB said:
I love Lockyer, but he can't tackle very well. Look at the try he handed NZ in the World Cup Final as one of many pieces of evidence. I rate him as an equal to Johns and better than anyone else I have seen in attack, but since his move to 6 he consistently misses and falls off a lot of tackles. He was an amazing defender as a 1 but since becoming a 6 the workload obviously doesn't agree with him. It just annoys me that someone who has the physique he has and strength he has can fall off so many often straight forward tackles.

His workrate has increased since moving from fullback and given his profile in the game and the importance he plays in every side he plays for its not surprising his not amongst the best defenders in the game but his still not as bad as you make him out to be and nor does he consistenly miss and fall off a lot of tackles, it's not surprising theres a difference between his defence at fullback and at 5/8th. They both require different things from the defender and when you have spent the majority of your career playing in one position your bound to have issues making the transition to the other, you can't expect it not happen especially not at the backend of your career. Regardless Lockyer has made the change for the side's needs and the side has benefited far more in recent times from that then they did having him at fullback in seasons prior to that (when they struggled in the halves for utter direction, everyone on the forum was screaming for him to be moved). Frankly I would rather he concentrate on his leadership, attack and what he really brings to the side that we so desperately need and will miss when his gone, then an issue that is being exaggerated.

People notice his missed tackles more because he is targeted more than most players. Of course he's gonna miss a few! Hope the knee isn't a big set back for him. Take it easy and don't start the season if it's not ready.1

He has to make no more or less than basically any other 5/8th in the game and misses more than most of them. I agree completely with your post however GC (except the exaggeration bit lol). It was a light hearted joke everyone knows I am a constant critic of Lockyer's defense and IMO losing Carroll will only increase the problem this year.

FCB BB AKA MB said:

More than likely you are baiting Gympie, but as the avid NRL and Broncos fan that you are, let me bring something to your attention;

for
FCB BB AKA MB said:
someone who has the physique he has and strength he has
Lockyer is a small 5/8th. I don't know what you meant really, because he is far from a big 5/8th, he is one of the smallest in the NRL.

In fact, I have just been trying to work it out in my head and I challenge you to find 2 regular NRL 5/8ths bigger than Locky. I can't even think of one.

Also, have you any statistics on his mistackle count? I reckon he'd be in the bottom 5 mistackles for regular NRL 5/8ths(I have only seen statistics for finals series 2008).

I don't look at stats I just watch him fall off a lot of tackles.

I meant he is strong for his size and that he is fairly well built nowadays.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Accept
  • Allo
  • Behold
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Porthoz
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  • NSW stables
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.