NEWS Lockyer: top four not realistic with this lot

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Travis Meyn enlists Darren Lockyer to bring us down with a thud in today's Courier Mail:

But first Darren from Red Hill weighs in on the Jack Bird v Jamayne Isaako duel at the back:

“Jack is a footballer – he is very instinctive and knows where to be defensively and with the footy. From a fullback perspective, that is a good asset. It’s a challenge for him but he is enjoying it. Speaking from experience playing fullback, you’re a lot more involved. You can go anywhere you want on the field. Jack’s been a bit frustrated through his injuries but I think he’s got an opportunity and he will enjoy it. He’s been hampered by his injuries and body but he’s probably the fittest he’s been since he’s been at the Broncos. Jack has probably been honest with Seibs. He is predominantly a right-side centre and Kotoni (Staggs) has been doing a very good job there. You’d have to ask Seibs how the conversation went but they’ve decided to give it a go and it looks like he’ll start the season in the No.1 jersey.”

Jamayne is probably a little bit down on form, he knows that. There’s a number of players fighting for a position, that’s not a bad thing. It’s up to Jamayne to keep working hard and fight for his spot back.”

V3imagesbinf158bf66faeea791992aada14e147e6b ztudk74jfup5ntq6ks2 t1880

Then dashes our hopes and dreams when asked if the Broncos can make the top four:

“No, I don’t think so. We finished eighth last year. We want to be improving, but while top four is an ambition internally, the guys right now just need to focus on playing well each week and see where that takes them. There are no excuses really. They’ve had limited disruptions in the off-season. There’s been a couple of injuries to senior players, but Brodie Croft has come to the club and is an organising halfback which the team was in need of. There’s no reason why they can’t be improving this year.”

Worst pre-season ever.

McHunt

Last edited:
This is great stuff Darren, keep giving flogs like Tallis more ammunition. I already know exactly what his next tirade is “The Broncos, it was always a minimum of top 4. That was the, expectation. Now I’m not there, so, I don’t, know, but this shows, where they are. All of a, sudden if Kevvie, well I can tell you they, would be having that expectation”

*inappropriate breaks and nonsensical sentence structure provided for the full Tallis experience.

I tend to agree with him I just don’t see the point in a board member putting a hard number on it (7th) or ruling out a top 4 finish. This is one case where I’d prefer to just waffle on without answering the question. The players shouldn’t have it in their heads and the media don’t deserve a straight answer like that.

See, this is a bit of false reporting. The question asked of Lockyer was, “Is top 4 an expectation?” He then goes on in his quote to talk about internal ambition. He never said anything about thinking Broncos won’t make the top four.

Lockeyer is learning, dont give the media more ammunition than needed. Him saying non top 4 takes some pressure off.

Don't read into it too much. Every single NRL player steps foot onto the field wanting to win a comp or be the best, if they don't, they wont survive.

Last edited:
**** me I'm feeling SO enthused about this coming season....

We ned Locky to inspire the team - no more, no less. Tallis certainly won't - he's so fucking negative but then that's what brain damage can do.

With Croft in the side to provide energy, spirit and direction, and Turpin to deliver decent service from dummy half, al this side needs, with the talent and skills we have, is heart and soul, self belief and to play for each other.

A top 4 spot is there for the taking. The team just has to want it.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Brotherdu
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Alec
  • The Don
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • broncs30
  • mrslong
  • Volvo Driver
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • KnToad
  • bert_lifts
  • simplythebest
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Gray
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 32 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.