Lodge Re-Signs for the fans

Matt has the potential to become one of the best front rowers in this era Broncos have been shot in this area for a while We now have a pack that can win a premiership. Not so concerned with K Nick &Milf as playing behind a good forward pack can make even mediocre halves look good ie Shane Perry Luke Brooks

Good on ya Lodge. You've taken the bull by the horns to turn your life around and the discipline the Broncos system provides was exactly what you needed.

God DAYM our pack is looking monstrous over the next 3 years at least.

Bronco Matt Lodge wants to help stop NRL behaviour problems

Controversial Broncos prop Matt Lodge has thrown his hand up to help stop the NRL’s player behaviour crisis.
The NRL’s off-season from hell hit a new low on Friday when Manly’s Dylan Walker became the second player stood down under the code’s “no fault” policy as he faces domestic violence charges.
At least 15 NRL players have been involved in off-field incidents, some incurring serious criminal charges, since the end of the 2018 season.
At this time last year, Lodge was engulfed in his own scandal following a massive public backlash as he prepared to return to the NRL after a near three-year hiatus.
Lodge was banished from the NRL following an alcohol-fuelled rampage in New York in 2015 and only allowed back after completing extensive rehabilitation.
b9487b44c42934517bf5dc663d04ec5a

Matt Lodge hopes to draw on his own off-field battles to help others. Picture: Getty
Now 23 and a father, Lodge believes he has overcome his behavioural issues and wants to help stop the NRL’s crippling problem.
“I don’t know about being a poster boy (for second chances) or if I’ll ever get there,” Lodge told The Courier-Mail.
“But I might be able to do work with people that need second chances or have done the wrong thing. I could help them out more than the average person.
“I’ll take the lessons out of it. I’ve learned from it and can pass that on to some people and help some younger people to make sure they don’t make poor decisions.
“They are pretty costly now in the game.
“You do the wrong thing and you’re going to pay for it.”
In some ways Lodge is lucky he was accepted back into the game when he was.
3fe5143da456c7ed8ef3bbeedb112b71

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg had a busy week handing out sanctions to various players for off-field indiscretions. Picture: AAP
The ARL Commission and NRL chief Todd Greenberg drew a line in the sand on Thursday by announcing a new policy which allows the code to stand down players facing serious charges.
Lodge escaped jail in New York after pleading guilty to a misdemeanour count of reckless assault, but the current climate surrounding the NRL suggests he would have faced an even tougher battle to be welcomed back now.
Lodge played all 25 games for the Broncos last year and was one of the club’s best in his debut season in Brisbane.
He says he has abstained from alcohol since his New York night of shame and wants to be an example for his fellow players.
“I regret what happened, but at the same time I was going down the wrong path and that helped me get to where I am now and going down a good path,” he said.
8f1472f430c1eaa1660be071c8aeaf41

Manly Sea Eagles player Dylan Walker was the first person stood down under Todd Greenberg’s new discretionary powers. Picture: AAP
“I guess I could be (a good example). I was patient and committed when I was out for three years to get back to this level. Hopefully that counts for something and I can help some people that are struggling.”
The Broncos’ botched handling of Lodge’s return, where the club initially refused to let him speak publicly or explain his rehabilitation process, created a storm of controversy on the eve of the 2018 season.
Lodge was booed with every touch of the ball early in the year, but withstood the public backlash to secure a two-year contract extension and edge towards NSW State of Origin selection.
“It was more tough for my family,” Lodge said.
“I had some good people around me looking after me.
“It didn’t really affect me too much. I was comfortable with what I was doing.
“I didn’t really mind what people wrote.
1cfd32dcf0b07a9dc0a673456b1f6bcb

St. George Illawarra Dragons player Jack de Belin is facing serious sexual assault charges. Picture: AAP
“I was more worried about my family reading it, they were pretty upset at the time.
“I had some good people around me like Wayne (Bennett, former coach) and the boys were really supportive.
“It didn’t matter what anyone did, they were going to stick by me. This year I can just put my head down and do my job without people watching.
“I can do what I can to get better as player.”
The NRL’s new policy came on the back of the game suffering immense reputational damage. Sports stars have long been considered role models, but Broncos coach Anthony Seibold said that shouldn’t be the case.
“I’d hate to use our players here at the Broncos as role models,” he said.
“They have an obligation to uphold the standards of our game and our club, but ... the best role models in our society are parents.”
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/f88e50cc0d0664946811da6f3b546107

The Broncos’ botched handling of Lodge’s return, where the club initially refused to let him speak publicly or explain his rehabilitation process, created a storm of controversy on the eve of the 2018 season.

I dunno what was botched about it. Even if he spoke to the media, it would have changed nothing IMO. There was no solution to the whole situation except time.

I dunno what was botched about it. Even if he spoke to the media, it would have changed nothing IMO. There was no solution to the whole situation except time.

Lodge had already said everything he said anyway.

Before he even joined the Broncos, he spoke to the Courier Mail. Seems like they just forgot about that.

All the media would've done is hit him with pointless emotionally charged questions like "Do you regret what you did?", "Do you have a drinking problem?" and "Why do you deserve to play NRL?" as if they're moral arbiters of anything except sweet **** all.

As soon as they sit Murdoch down and ask him to his face if it's ethical to hack the phones of dead school kids, then maybe I might start taking them seriously.

Last edited:

The media get to make up whatever narrative they please, and to hell with the truth. Why anyone would want to be more open to them is mind-boggling. They already sensationalize everything they're told, why give them more ammo?

The media get to make up whatever narrative they please, and to hell with the truth. Why anyone would want to be more open to them is mind-boggling. They already sensationalize everything they're told, why give them more ammo?
In today’s world, some of the media are akin to the old used car salesman or real estate agent.

But if you’re after a reason why you want to have them onside rather than off; well last year is a pretty good example.

The old adage; you’ll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar, epitomises this.

Bennett has always thumbed his nose at the media, and he got away with it before news was available to us in an instant.

But after decades of giving them nothing or even treating some of them with disdain, they now have the platform and scope, right or wrong, to persistently attack him and anyone he’s associated with, if they so wish.

Until such time as the media is held to account for what they publish and in turn their power is removed, to steal another cliche, it might just be easier to keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Last edited:
This is a good point. Whilst Bennett may have been tough as nails, I think it’s naive to think the negative articles wouldn’t have an effect on the players. They would definitely read articles about themselves, especially the younger ones. If it’s going to happen irregardless, why not try to make it positive.

This marketing campaign is already having an impact, we are getting far more favourable press than we ever have in the last few years. Whether it will make any difference is another question?

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • GCBRONCO
  • KnToad
  • Skathen
  • Bish
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Kev_Guz
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Redux
  • Mustafur
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.