NEWS Lodge: roll up, roll up!

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Rescue pup Matt Lodge chuckles at the upstairs-downstairs revolving-doors that open into Fortress Red Hill:

“It’s like a reality TV show in Brisbane at the moment. It’s a circus. Everyone is coming at us, and it’s fucking annoying. There is a lot of criticism coming at us and we need to start winning and stick together. We love playing footy. It will be good to show our younger guys what it’s like to be winning in Brisbane but at the moment it’s not happening and we have to wait for the good times. It‘s been a pretty shit year."

“The younger guys ... you don’t want to bring them into a culture like this, one win from 11. They haven’t seen the good times yet, but a lot of those guys well if they ride this out. It’s a tough experience for them but there will be good times ahead."

And handsome hooker Jake Turpin goes one short of apologizing for letting in THAT try:

“There is a lot of effort, but just effort alone isn’t good enough. We have to be a smarter football team, we are letting teams score points too easily. When we fix that up, we might get some results.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I'm just thinking, some young players could definitely get broken by this horror run of losses. At the same time, this might toughen some others up. Dearden looks like he might be in the latter group. Someone like Farnworth might be too, based on his comments after re-signing.

Nice bit of leadership last night Lodgey ...
Give away 2 penalties then miss the tackle to let in a try . He has been poor this season .
Dearden on a diet of a tea spoon of concrete daily . Hardened up last night after a cpl of soft efforts the week before .
I like the competitiveness of the kid . Croft , not stepping up again .

Last edited:
@McHunt I really don't mind your takes on articles but is there really a need for that picture?
FFS @Sproj let it go man. It's in the public domain and has been for a few years. Ignoring it won't make it go away. It's a great reminder of where the big guy used to be.

FFS @Sproj let it go man. It's in the public domain and has been for a few years. Ignoring it won't make it go away. It's a great reminder of where the big guy used to be.
I was thinking the same as Sproj initially but I like your perspective. Lodge's past will always be there and there will always people who bring it up, but it just shines a light on how far he's come in this life. Even if he never plays better footy than he is now just doing that 180° turn is still massively worthwhile and I've got huge respect for the guy for being honest about who he was, owning his actions and taking steps to better himself while copping serve after massive serve from the media and public. It would have been so easy to just walk away but he toughed it out.

@McHunt I really don't mind your takes on articles but is there really a need for that picture?
I was thinking the same as Sproj initially but I like your perspective. Lodge's past will always be there and there will always people who bring it up, but it just shines a light on how far he's come in this life. Even if he never plays better footy than he is now just doing that 180° turn is still massively worthwhile and I've got huge respect for the guy for being honest about who he was, owning his actions and taking steps to better himself while copping serve after massive serve from the media and public. It would have been so easy to just walk away but he toughed it out.
I'm happy to delete it if it bothers you, but there wasn't much to the source story, and the irony of what he's saying given what he brought with him and the soap opera that surrounded his potential appointment as captain. And then his dustups with Tallis and Bird. You know, the circus didn't start this year.

For what it's worth, I'm generally one of Lodge's supporters on here.

Last edited:
Circus meme from the Simpsons may have provided some humour!

Circus meme from the Simpsons may have provided some humour!
Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch with the Simpsons. I don't think I've seen an episode in twenty years. Are they still a thing?

Rescue pup Matt Lodge chuckles at the upstairs-downstairs revolving-doors that open into Fortress Red Hill:

“It’s like a reality TV show in Brisbane at the moment. It’s a circus. Everyone is coming at us, and it’s fucking annoying. There is a lot of criticism coming at us and we need to start winning and stick together. We love playing footy. It will be good to show our younger guys what it’s like to be winning in Brisbane but at the moment it’s not happening and we have to wait for the good times. It‘s been a pretty shit year."

“The younger guys ... you don’t want to bring them into a culture like this, one win from 11. They haven’t seen the good times yet, but a lot of those guys well if they ride this out. It’s a tough experience for them but there will be good times ahead."

And handsome hooker Jake Turpin goes one short of apologizing for letting in THAT try:

“There is a lot of effort, but just effort alone isn’t good enough. We have to be a smarter football team, we are letting teams score points too easily. When we fix that up, we might get some results.”

McHunt

What a load of platitude and palaver.

Watching this made me so angry. Meatheads. Stating the bleeding obvious but offering nothing constructive about what exactly they intend to do about it. Yes, it is a shit year. We all know that. Yes, "it's not happening". We can all see that, and have for most of this season. As I watched this spectacle of boneheaded bullshit, I thought no wonder people laugh at us. "We have to wait for the good times" ? WTF does that mean? Aside from its intrinsic stupidity, it means sack Seibold of course, and equally, implicit here is a denial of their individual contributions to this "... pretty shit year".

"It’s like a reality TV show in Brisbane at the moment. It’s a circus. Everyone is coming at us, and it’s fucking annoying". Yep. Fucking annoying is right, and what else does Lodge expect? Where there's shit there's flies ... Maybe start running from the back fence to take the pass and also hit with venom in tackles, that might be a good start.

And Turpin: " ... we are letting teams score points too easily." Der. Would never have guessed. Based on what they said above, both of them have the IQ's of roadkill and neither deserve to be anywhere near the leadership group of the team let alone the media. Just appalling.

Last edited:
What a load of platitude and palaver.

Watching this made me so angry. Meatheads. Stating the bleeding obvious but offering nothing constructive about what exactly they intend to do about it. Yes, it is a shit year. We all know that. Yes, "it's not happening". We can all see that, and have for most of this season. As I watched this spectacle of boneheaded bullshit, I thought no wonder people laugh at us. "We have to wait for the good times" ? WTF does that mean? Aside from its intrinsic stupidity, it means sack Seibold of course, and equally, implicit here is a denial of their individual contributions to this "... pretty shit year".

"It’s like a reality TV show in Brisbane at the moment. It’s a circus. Everyone is coming at us, and it’s fucking annoying". Yep. Fucking annoying is right, and what else does Lodge expect? Where there's shit there's flies ... Maybe start running from the back fence to take the pass and also hit with venom in tackles, that might be a good start.

And Turpin: " ... we are letting teams score points too easily." Der. Would never have guessed. Based on what they said above, both of them have the IQ's of roadkill and neither deserve to be anywhere near the leadership group of the team let alone the media. Just appalling.

Not sure what they can say that they won't cop flack for. They've already copped flack for saying nothing...

Not sure what they can say that they won't cop flack for. They've already copped flack for saying nothing...

What they can say is the truth, not its evasion. Lodge and Turpin know exactly what's wrong but mouth platitudes and palaver to cover it up. If I was a journo, I'd ask either of them: Well, by the look of it, that try you both let in so easily was pretty slack. It looks like you 2 guys are just not putting in. Why is that?

The answer would show either an honest assessment of the situation or an intellectual hamburger trying to cover its buns.

The truth hurts but lies kill credibility. Or, as Shakespeare puts it, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Last edited:
The truth hurts but lies kill credibility. Or, as Shakespeare puts it, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
Couldn’t help but think of this when I read your post.

What they can say is the truth, not its evasion. Lodge and Turpin know exactly what's wrong but mouth platitudes and palaver to cover it up. If I was a journo, I'd ask either of them: Well, by the look of it, that try you both let in so easily was pretty slack. It looks like you 2 guys are just not putting in. Why is that?

The answer would show either an honest assessment of the situation or an intellectual hamburger trying to cover its buns.

Its pretty rare for any professional athlete to speak honestly and genuinely to the media these days. Its all rehearsed sweet nothings they offer generally.

Its pretty rare for any professional athlete to speak honestly and genuinely to the media these days. Its all rehearsed sweet nothings they offer generally.

It's the exceptions I love. Love honesty

Imagine if Lodge said: "Yeah, I played like shit. I let everyone down but it stops now. There's been too much talk, not enough action. Just watch next week."

That would be inspirational.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • FACTHUNT
  • Culhwch
  • Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • bb_gun
  • KnToad
  • Broncosgirl
  • RodF
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • johnny plath
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.