Looking to change internet providers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Super Freak, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    There's ADSL2+ available from all the providers, it's just not real fast due to distance from exchange and high density population. The 8mbps was actual speed rather than theoretical.

I believe I can buy 100mbps from Optus on the HFC right now, but I'm not in a position to fork out an extra $30/month for it.

2. Ask if you can have a discount, they often give it away.

3. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    I'm already getting $20 a month off, plus I scored free installation. I'll keep that one in the kitty for when the first contract is up.

Nashy likes this.
  4. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Have gone from pulling 8mpbs on a 20mbps connection, to getting a very handy 29.8mbps on a 30mbps connection. Gotta say I'm happy with the purchase so far!

Nashy and broncospwn like this.
  5. I recommend downloading all of the internets.

Porthoz likes this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  7. Kaz

Kaz State of Origin Captain

Done.

[​IMG]

8. Foordy

Foordy

Has anyone used Belong before. Looking to move away from telstra, but need to stay on a telstra line.

They have a decent plan ATM.

9. You don't have ADSL2+ in your area?

I've not heard great reviews of them because they are so far up Telstra's ass, but that's going back a while.

11. Foordy

Foordy

I only can use ADSL 1 on a telstra line... literally 3 doors up can get everything

All providers, nbn, cable and adsl2

I live in a dead end street... maybe they got bored and decided to only do half the street.

12. I'd look at the above mentioned fixed wireless option over ADSL1 any day of the week.

13. I ended up switching to iPrimus ADSL 2+ and I have to say, I'm very happy.

I'm getting speeds of up to 5mb/ps which is more than triple of what I was getting with Telstra and Optus.

And it's only $60 a month which is cheaper than what I was paying with Optus and Telstra.

Optus and Telstra can eat a dick.

For all of you NBN users, that download speed will still be crap compared to yours. But I've been putting up with speeds of 700-800kb/ps for so long.. I'm happy with what I've got now.

Still want NBN, though.

The upload speed is still atrocious.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  14. Actually, now it's 8mb/ps and climbing. Getting up to 9.

Edit: Well, dropped back down to 4-5 now. That didn't last long.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  15. Foordy

Foordy

Be careful ... I've been reading plenty of reviews online where they are hiking up their price by $20/month 3-6 months into the contract.

16. Foordy

Foordy

I'm tempted to test out belong ... and

For an extra $5/month I can get no lock in contract. There is also no activation fees.

If they're shit I can switch. If they're good I can sign up for a 12 month contract and save that $5/month.

They do have a limited plan selection though. They only have 2 data plans.

100gb for $55 (+$5 for no contract)

1000gb for $70 (+$5 for no contract)

Edit: just found out that if I go month to month, I will have to pay $60 for a modem. Even if I want to use my own modem

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  17. Belong = Telstra. 100% Owned and operated.

18. Foordy

Foordy

I heard that Telstra aren't legally allowed to lowered their prices, because doing so would give them a monopoly ...

That's why the created belong, to compete with the cheaper ISPs

19. That's a half truth. The real one is that they aren't allowed to sell their wholesale network to themselves for cheaper than they do to others. Their prices are higher because of 24 hour call centres, employing way too many useless staff in those centres and in Australia etc. They have far larger overheads, so a small subsidiary can do cheap shit.

The issue is. Everything beyond the front Telstra. It's just a lot more juggling to get issues fixed.

But what I'm saying, if you have issues with T, you'll have issues with B.

Foordy likes this.
  20. Foordy

Foordy

My only issue will Telstra Internet is the price ... I've got no other issues with Bigpond.

Now their mobile phone division is another story completely

Nashy likes this.