Looking to change internet providers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Super Freak, Aug 30, 2016.

1. soup

soup

I'm hoping you can help me out as I've come across some confusion in connecting my NBN service at my new address.

I originally wanted to stick with TPG and had a relocation order to do so. They want to send a tech out this Friday (19/05/2016), but I'm not sure why as there seems to be NBN FTTP already installed. I have one external NBNCO box mounted on the brick wall on the side of the house and one NBNCO internal box in one of the lounge rooms.

BTW, I'm currently connected to the internal box via the TPG provided modem/router that they sent me last week for the pending new service, which is not yet activated. TPG have told me that the reason I can access the internet is because the previous tenants/owner has not yet disconnected... Sweet, free internet! I'm guessing that when my service gets activated, the old service will be disconnected?

Either way, my main point of confusion is this: a quick search on the NBNCO's website shows that my address has FTTP available. TPG states that they have no access to the FTTP connection, and as such, I'm hamstrung to their 'Boost' (25Mbps) plans at $69.99. I'm guessing they are using FTTN technology, but when I queried NBNCO by email, they stated that I only have access via FTTP, not by FTTN or FTTB. TPG's FTTB plans offer cheaper rates at much higher speeds (50-100Mbps), and as far as I'm aware, FTTP is just as quick and potentially quicker, yet TPG tell me I can only max out at 25Mbps. TPG aren't even aware of the FTTP connection at this address. They were telling me to plug into the phone line and didn't know what I was on about when I said I was connected through the internal NBNCO box.

So, the plot thickens. I ran a what's my IP + ISP and it tells me the current ISP (previous tenant/owner) is, wait for it, TPG - in St Lucia!!! I'm in Toowoomba?! What the frig is going on?

I just want my 50-100Mbps connection via the FTTP infrastructure at the cheapest cost to me. I can't get a straight answer from TPG, so here I am...

Can anyone shed some light on my gap of knowledge/connection confusion, please?

2. TPG records are out of date. Escalate the call, tell the super the situation that NBN confirms it is indeed FTTP, and is installed. If you get no luck, go to the TIO and tell them about it. They won't rule on it, but will at least get you in contact with a higher authority in the business who will be in Australia, and can use their own brain instead of reading the script.

They're trying to sign you up to ADSL2+. Refuse that at all costs.

Foordy and soup like this.
  3. soup

soup

You were right! Mongrels!

I've spent at least 3hrs arguing with these keyboard monkeys this week regarding this. Argued again with them for the past 30mins while they told me FTTN is the only option, while I offered to supply them with the NBNCO email stating FTTP is the only option. It took me to mention the TIO and all of a **** sudden, yes, I'm right, FTTP is the only option! No **** shit! No wonder people go mental with guns FFS!

Anyway, thanks Nashy. I got what I wanted although not at the price I wanted. Whatever! Just give me the speed!

Sigh.

Nashy likes this.
    Full speed unlimited with them is $99.99 a month?

soup likes this.
  4. Foordy

Foordy

I've had to use them several times with Telstra ... if you're in the right, they can even make Telstra jump ... and that is a very hard thing to do

soup likes this.
  5. soup

soup

It is... ouch.

6. I've considered moving to the couple of cheaper operators, but for mine, TPG support has always been pretty bloody good. They can be a PITA, but it's pretty rare, and it's rare I ever talk to them.

7. soup

soup

I should follow by saying that I had my FTTB and FTTP prices mixed up originally. FTTP full speed unlimited is a much healthier price at $59.95.

My point of contention was more about speed.

8. soup

soup

Yeah, same for me. I've dealt with them for at least 10 years. All's fine when you don't need them and I've rarely needed them.

I'm now wondering if I should have gone with Skymesh...

9. If you have NBN access, I don't think you're allowed onto the NBN satellites.

I just saw their plans. They've upped the price a hell of a lot since they first formed!

10. The new budget has a $7 something charge per month to ISP's, so you can pretty much guarantee all plans are going up by 10 or so.

11. soup

soup

Yeah, that's how skymesh we're operating last year, but when I checked today, they had all the fibre connections now too. Not too bad on price and their service was really good. Things change though. Will look into it more tonight.

12. gordjw

gordjw NRL Player

I just saw that Skymesh have a 200/200 plan, I wish I could justify $300/month for internet.

Porthoz likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

Nashy likes this.
  14. This was the bro in law's average slow Internet in Murica.

[​IMG]

Porthoz and gordjw like this.
  15. soup

soup

A quick follow up on the scenario to date.

**** TPG and their three-legged, no-headed horse they rode in on.

The tech failed to attend the scheduled install (of what, I don't know - all the infrastructure is in place and 'ready') on Friday just gone... I called TPG that evening to advise, was promised a call-back/email by 9pm that night - nothing...

Called back this morning to get the ball rolling again, was on hold for eons whilst rehashing everything to them for the 100th time, told they would call me back with a resolution and new install date (for what?), hung up and proceeded to wash the dishes whilst pondering why the actual **** I am putting myself through all this. Let's have another look at Skymesh...

So, I called Skymesh in Brisbane and immediately they tell me not to look at the plans listed online, they can do better. They offer me the 100/40 500GB plan for $80, no installation fees, unmetered content, no lock-in contract, anytime download (no peak/offpeak rubbish) and, wait for it, my service will be connected within 6hrs as they can see that the infrastructure is all in-place and ready to rock-and-roll...

Did I say **** TPG!? 3 weeks of waiting compared to 6 hours and a better product with a local company, talking to local people who want to do better than what they advertise.

Moral of the story: choose life, go Skymesh!

gordjw, Harry Sack and Nashy like this.
  16. soup

soup

And for all those playing at home, Skymesh were true to their word. All connected within 6 hours.

I'm just going through setting up my billing, router settings, etc and then will post up a speedtest result.

TPmeh...

Nashy likes this.
  17. I want to change now just because.

18. soup

soup

The only drama is that they don't do unlimited plans. If you use a very predictable amount, this may not be a drama.

They win by price, quality and speed of service, locally-owned, flexibility in designing a package, and their direct relationship with NBNCO. Not to mention talking to people who obviously enjoy their job and will bend over backwards to help you immediately.

They do month-month no contracts with unlimited plan adjustments whilst not charging setup fees. It's a no brainer if you don't need 'unlimited' plans.

I'm gonna have to charge them commissions soon...

Nashy likes this.
  19. soup

soup

SkyMesh_SpdTest.jpeg

Jason Simmons, gordjw and Foordy like this.