Looking to change internet providers

soup

State of Origin Rep
It's literally a link under a member's post. I check IPs all the time.
Hairy muff...

Thanks for noticing though. I hadn't gotten around to checking and now it's all done. It's also reminded me to contact SuperLoop to CANX.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Ohhh... me likey!
Me too! Unlimited at $80/month. (6months)

I’m gonna download all the interwebz, especially with my 5 new ironwolf drives finally running in my NAS! **** it takes a long time to do a full health test and initialise, one by one.

Last edited:

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Me too! Unlimited at $80/month. (6months)

I’m gonna download all the interwebz, especially with my 5 new ironwolf drives finally running in my NAS! **** it takes a long time to do a full health test and initialise, one by one.
Yup... I am moving to 8TB drives on my NAS. It will take weeks.

Already have great download btw, but my upload sucks balls at 1.5 MB.

soup

State of Origin Rep
Yup... I am moving to 8TB drives on my NAS. It will take weeks.

Already have great download btw, but my upload sucks balls at 1.5 MB.
Yep. It’s taken me two weeks to replace these ones. One (of 4) old 3TB (2012) drive failed, then within two weeks another ended up with 160 bad sectors, so ordered all new drives whilst the bank account suffered. Got 5x 4TB Ironwolf NAS drives for a bit of an overall update at a pretty affordable price.

There’s now 14TB Iron Wolf drives... ridiculous! $1000ish each though.

How much are the 8TB drives? Too lazy to check Umart.

Last edited:

GCBRONCO

State of Origin Captain
Gold Coast
That isn't an insane price though all things considering, my old man used to sell 20mb hard drives back in the 80's for over $1000.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Yep. It’s taken me two weeks to replace these ones. One (of 4) old 3TB (2012) drive failed, then within two weeks another ended up with 160 bad sectors, so ordered all new drives whilst the bank account suffered. Got 5x 4TB Ironwolf NAS drives for a bit of an overall update at a pretty affordable price.

There’s now 14TB Iron Wolf drives... ridiculous! $1000ish each though.

How much are the 8TB drives? Too lazy to check Umart.
Depends on the type. About $325 each for the Iron Wolf.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
So I've finally switched over from ADSL 1 (1.2Mbps was what we were getting, yikes) to IInet's 50mpbs plan.
After being on it for a few months I've noticed that I'm now only getting 20mpbs (was initially on 39 ish). Now I can't really complain about going from 1 to 20 mpbs, my internet has definitely improved.

But I called them and said WTF, why is it only 20 when I'm paying for 50 and they said basically that I could put up with the 20mbps and *maybe* it will be upgraded or I could downgrade to the 12mbps plan.

Anybody experienced this before? I've never really had a problem with IInet in my 10 years dealing with them.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So I've finally switched over from ADSL 1 (1.2Mbps was what we were getting, yikes) to IInet's 50mpbs plan.
After being on it for a few months I've noticed that I'm now only getting 20mpbs (was initially on 39 ish). Now I can't really complain about going from 1 to 20 mpbs, my internet has definitely improved.

But I called them and said WTF, why is it only 20 when I'm paying for 50 and they said basically that I could put up with the 20mbps and *maybe* it will be upgraded or I could downgrade to the 12mbps plan.

Anybody experienced this before? I've never really had a problem with IInet in my 10 years dealing with them.
That's an odd one, but could indicate congestion. I *think* other providers offering NBN can run their own speed test on the lines to work out what they reckon you're going to get. But if it's gone down, after achieving high speeds, it is either a fault, or congestion.

Edit: Go all angry Mum on them and tell them it's not good enough, and you want to know why the speed changed, and if it's a fault, demand they get an NBN tech involved.

It would be surprising if iiNet oversold the area too. TPG push hard for speed, and they own iiNet, so you're using the same networks.

Last edited:

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
That's an odd one, but could indicate congestion. I *think* other providers offering NBN can run their own speed test on the lines to work out what they reckon you're going to get. But if it's gone down, after achieving high speeds, it is either a fault, or congestion.

Edit: Go all angry Mum on them and tell them it's not good enough, and you want to know why the speed changed, and if it's a fault, demand they get an NBN tech involved.

It would be surprising if iiNet oversold the area too. TPG push hard for speed, and they own iiNet, so you're using the same networks.
He told me it was the current load limit of the line.

But it's weird that it was OK a couple of weeks ago.

The language barrier ended up getting to me and rather than argue I said to leave the complaint open and I'll call back later with my decision. I might need another call centre person with better communication skills

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
He told me it was the current load limit of the line.

But it's weird that it was OK a couple of weeks ago.

The language barrier ended up getting to me and rather than argue I said to leave the complaint open and I'll call back later with my decision. I might need another call centre person with better communication skills
Yeah, try and request to escalate it to a higher level tech. Just keep smashing home that it was fine, and then it wasn't, and that either means a fault, or they have changed something. Ask about your contract term too.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
So our NBN at work drops out constantly when it rains, which is a ballhair because our new JMS needs is in the cloud. Our GM got the shits and asked what could be done. We were offered a 100/50 Microwave but were then told we're too far away from the dish. What is available is 500/500. Guaranteed speed. $420 a month. Ouch.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So our NBN at work drops out constantly when it rains, which is a ballhair because our new JMS needs is in the cloud. Our GM got the shits and asked what could be done. We were offered a 100/50 Microwave but were then told we're too far away from the dish. What is available is 500/500. Guaranteed speed. $420 a month. Ouch.
Why is your boss even talking to a sales rep instead of a fault team? That's a fault, likely water in Telstra's pit. Lodge a fault.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Why is your boss even talking to a sales rep instead of a fault team? That's a fault, likely water in Telstra's pit. Lodge a fault.
Yeah I know. The problem is they can't (or don't give a shit enough to) pinpoint that location of the fault. Fucking gronks. Our GM is fucking impatient, he wants it fixed NOW because he wants to cross a thing off his list of things to do.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah I know. The problem is they can't (or don't give a shit enough to) pinpoint that location of the fault. Fucking gronks. Our GM is fucking impatient, he wants it fixed NOW because he wants to cross a thing off his list of things to do.
That just means your GM is being useless in his dealings with the ISP. Go to the TIO if you have to get it done quicker.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
C7BC5E4C-8AD7-4068-9BF5-A0F249D43D13.png
It's literally a link under a member's post. I check IPs all the time.
How’s mine looking now?

AussieBB represent! NBN finally showed up today. Took about 30 minutes to hook me up and it basically activated, virtually instantly.

Turned on my modem, went and made a coffee, started drinking my coffee, opened up my laptop to have a squiz at the modem admin page and it was up and running...

Pretty much flawless in fact...

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
View attachment 4728

How’s mine looking now?

AussieBB represent! NBN finally showed up today. Took about 30 minutes to hook me up and it basically activated, virtually instantly.

Turned on my modem, went and made a coffee, started drinking my coffee, opened up my laptop to have a squiz at the modem admin page and it was up and running...

Pretty much flawless in fact...
That's impressive. 45% off!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter