Looking to change internet providers

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Is TPG still the way to go.......?

I'm fucking about with Optus mobile broadband and the 500GB limit is killing me.....and speeds are up the shit.

I have to go back to ADSL2.......is TPG any good?
I'm an ex-loyal Telstra customer who recently told them to get fucked.
Really depends on area with ADSL. I was with TPG last year for ADSL and they were always excellent, never a complaint in 4 years. I'd still whole heartedly recommend them. If I wasn't a gamer I'd probably have went with them for NBN.

How far off are you from getting NBN?

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Is TPG still the way to go.......?

I'm fucking about with Optus mobile broadband and the 500GB limit is killing me.....and speeds are up the shit.

I have to go back to ADSL2.......is TPG any good?
I'm an ex-loyal Telstra customer who recently told them to get fucked.
Still ADSL??? **** mate,bid just move.

TPG is still good though, although I'm not with them now, but I don't have DSL.

Renegade

NRL Captain
So is Aussie still the best option for NBN? Chermside is finally active, so looking to switch over. Assume I'll need a new modem and so on.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So is Aussie still the best option for NBN? Chermside is finally active, so looking to switch over. Assume I'll need a new modem and so on.
I like them, so am still recommending them. Are you in a FTTN or FTTP area? Have you come off cable, or ADSL?

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Still ADSL??? **** mate,bid just move.
Yeah it was a rookie error really.....I'd been living on NBN speeds for a couple years , then had to move. I neglected to check the internet connection of the new address before I committed.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Update;

Signed with TPG for $60/mnth (no home phone) unlimited data.........ADSL2

After 1 month....I'm happy enough. Speed is acceptable 90% of the time. Can't complain about the bill. I reckon this will do for now until the NBN comes our way.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
After much fucking around NBN is finally ready at my place.

Annoyingly I can no longer get Aussie's HypedUp promo, so who has deals at the moment?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
After much fucking around NBN is finally ready at my place.

Annoyingly I can no longer get Aussie's HypedUp promo, so who has deals at the moment?
Trysuperloop gives you a month free at the moment with them.

I think Tangerine were offering a good price at the moment, I don't know much about them though. I did the signup without paying, they rang me twice and then left me alone.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Update;

Signed with TPG for $60/mnth (no home phone) unlimited data.........ADSL2

After 1 month....I'm happy enough. Speed is acceptable 90% of the time. Can't complain about the bill. I reckon this will do for now until the NBN comes our way.
Been informed today by TPG that I'm now NBN ready....technician appointment confirmed.

I've gone for the top level speed........cost $89.99/mnth....unlimited data. 😎

Jedhead

NRL Player
I'm in th eprocess of getting NBN connected and will probably stay with TPG as my provider. However, I read that the default security on the included router (Archer VR1600V) by default sends MAC addresses from your internal private network back to TPG via CWMP. Also TPG can push new firmware to the router whenever they want. Good for non-tech people, but I'm not a fan of such intrusions into my home network. See the Archer VR1600V thread for more info about that. does anyone know if it is possible to switch this intrusion off?

Once I pay for the router it is mine and TPG shoulld not have such control over it. I'm also only paying them for a service not for them to collect meta-data from my network.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I'm in th eprocess of getting NBN connected and will probably stay with TPG as my provider. However, I read that the default security on the included router (Archer VR1600V) by default sends MAC addresses from your internal private network back to TPG via CWMP. Also TPG can push new firmware to the router whenever they want. Good for non-tech people, but I'm not a fan of such intrusions into my home network. See the Archer VR1600V thread for more info about that. does anyone know if it is possible to switch this intrusion off?

Once I pay for the router it is mine and TPG shoulld not have such control over it. I'm also only paying them for a service not for them to collect meta-data from my network.
FWIW I wouldn't care about a Mac address being collected as it's useless trivial information but I can see the concern, it's certainly collecting a bit of information that does not need to be collected.

If it's running standard TP-Link software you should be able to flash it with stock firmware, and I'm almost certain they have an option (if not by default) to not auto update firmware.

Otherwise, modem/router's aren't worth a whole lot so you can always BYO. The 1600V (v) is for VOIP services, if you're not using integrated VOIP, (AKA a phone number provided by TPG) any old modem/router can do the job but if you want to keep your phone number with TPG do not touch the firmware or anything else as they keep their VOIP details a secret and treat customers like idiots, so you won't be able to setup VOIP on your hardware from memory.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
As a rule, just don't use ISP supplied modems/routers.

Edit: I just want to also point out that the MAC address would go to them no matter what, no matter who. It's the end point connection of their network.

Last edited:

Jedhead

NRL Player
As a rule, just don't use ISP supplied modems/routers.

Edit: I just want to also point out that the MAC address would go to them no matter what, no matter who. It's the end point connection of their network.
True that, but I'm reading that they also track mac addresses connecting to the network, which can quite easily lead to them selling all sorts of info about the end user.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
True that, but I'm reading that they also track mac addresses connecting to the network, which can quite easily lead to them selling all sorts of info about the end user.
They can do that without the MAC though. It sounds like you've been reading some super nerds online who were wearing tinfoil, I see this on Neowin and Reddit a bit. You could spoof the MAC and change it weekly or whenever, but the end of the day, your username is being authenticated on the network at that location, and an IP address is being issued to that session.

If you're connecting via a VPN, they can still see your connection and MAC, but it protects you from the rest.

Jedhead

NRL Player
They can do that without the MAC though. It sounds like you've been reading some super nerds online who were wearing tinfoil, I see this on Neowin and Reddit a bit. You could spoof the MAC and change it weekly or whenever, but the end of the day, your username is being authenticated on the network at that location, and an IP address is being issued to that session.

If you're connecting via a VPN, they can still see your connection and MAC, but it protects you from the rest.
So no reason for concern?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter