Looking to change phone service

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Super Freak, Jun 7, 2017.

I'm looking to change from Telstra to another phone service.

I want to upgrade my phone, but Telstra want a $149 upgrade fee to stay on my current plan where I still pay $20 for the new phone.. Or go on another plan that's going to cost me even more (currently on $86 a month) and their plans are complete crap.

I was looking at Vodafone, but over the years I've heard some very dodgy things about them. I'm wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with them.

If you know of any other phone company that offers good plans then I would like to know about them.

Tags:
  1. Nothing wrong with Vodafone now days.

2. What's the speed of their service like? Have you experienced any reception problems in your time with them?

I drive to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast quite often, and I want to be with a phone service that's going to have reception if I ever get stuck and knowing my car, that's likely to happen.

I've been with them for 15 years. I stuck with them when their network basically stopped. They're fine. Speed varies obviously.

There is no denying the Telstra mobile network is the best in the country. But I've had no problems with VF in years. I don't get reception in the middle of butt **** nowhere where my family lives, or at @Morkels house.

Super Freak likes this.
  3. Nothing rivals Telstra's coverage in OZ.
    I recently went back to them because under Optus I got calls dropped off all the time when driving around around Brissy and/or GC.

4. soup

soup

Optus is balls, though. I gave up on VF in their bad years, switched to Optus and within months decided the extra money for Telstra was well worth my sanity. I did have a hiatus with TPG (Telstra network) which was cheap and cheerful but at the end of the day, you really don't want to need customer service, like porting out for instance. They fucked up my partners port-out and she lost her number forever. A real **** around. She is currently on a Woolworths sim (also Telstra network) and it's cheap and works well.

5. Foordy

Foordy

I'm with Optus and i have no complaints.

6. soup

soup

You don't travel on highways often?

Porthoz likes this.
  7. soup

soup

I should say, it was more the regional and remote areas that the phone was useless on Optus, and that was at least 3 years ago.

8. Foordy

Foordy

that's true ... but thats also true for all phone providers that aren't Telstra

9. There are only 3 providers. I assure you, it's not true for the other two. VF even roam on highway black spots.

10. Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct NRL Captain

Been on Vodafone for 6 months now and have not had any problems. Has great internet speed, good service in general and I also got a great deal.

11. Clintos

Clintos NRL Captain

I changed from Telstra to Vodafone just before Christmas and it has been great. No accidental blocking, no billing errors, much better to deal with and you can talk to someone from Australia if you do have a problem. Great data deals too if that's your thing.

Super Freak and Nashy like this.
  12. Foordy

Foordy

I was with Vodaphone a while ago (about 5 years or so) and couldn't wait to get away from them. I had so many issues with them.

I've been relatively happy with Optus though

13. Things change bro. You're on the worse of the two smaller guys now IMO.

14. soup

soup

The problem with this is that many only roam on the 3G network and as there's less coverage in rural and remote on 3G than 4G, you're fucked regardless. If it roams into Telstra 4G in all areas, then game on moles.

15. That's currently being debated by the ACCC and the three operators, but VF do 4G and 3G in some areas, not all, as Telstra don't allow it. The T Network is the best, no two ways about it.

Porthoz likes this.
  16. As far as I'm concerned, coverage is of paramount importance for my work, and be it at work, on the road or at home on the Gold Coast, it's incomparable.
    Btw, I generally stick to main roads in SEQ, not rural areas, where I would expect some degree of coverage issues with any carrier.

That said, I have no experience with VF whatsoever, so I wouldn't know how their performance is.

17. Rally Towel

Rally Towel NRL Player

I'm with Optus, no complaints. Obviously Telstra does have the better nationwide coverage, but I've never found it to be a limiting factor. Never had a call drop out.

Mind you, my phone is primarily not for calls so your mileage may vary.

Some of you guys needing to make calls all the time, easy solution: have less friends.

I'm with Optus, reception is shit, but it's cheaper than Telstra, and I have Wi-Fi everywhere I go, and it hasn't stopped working on me before, so it's good enough. I'll give them a B.