NEWS Lord Vlandys Speaks

Aspley only lasted a year and Broncos weren’t too keen on funding a club so went the current model of using feeder teams.

Gillett was at Wests and Hervey Bay doing his own thing. That’s all he wanted to do after playing some NYC. Then he went to Norths and impressed and came back.
Wasn't that also due to losing his mate he played with at Bribie and got a bit disenfranchised with footy? I seem to recall that story at one time

Wasn't that also due to losing his mate he played with at Bribie and got a bit disenfranchised with footy? I seem to recall that story at one time

Yeah Todd Parnell was killed by a punch in 2009.

Aspley only lasted a year and Broncos weren’t too keen on funding a club so went the current model of using feeder teams.

Gillett was at Wests and Hervey Bay doing his own thing. That’s all he wanted to do after playing some NYC. Then he went to Norths and impressed and came back.

All the decisions have been purely Broncos making financial choices.
Yeah he was gonna play the GF for west’s instead of debuting for the broncos or being the 18th man. DCE & Reed were in that team too.

I wish broncos stopped making financial decisions and started making footy ones.

Yeah he was gonna play the GF for west’s instead of debuting for the broncos or being the 18th man. DCE & Reed were in that team too.

I wish broncos stopped making financial decisions and started making footy ones.

It was the 2008 NYC GF. He wanted to play for Wests because he’d played there more that year.

I don't really have a problem with anything Vlandys has said there. Broncos problems are entirely the doing of the Broncos board and management over the past 6+ years. Likewise with the Bulldogs, who got their cap in a bad place under Hasler and haven't recovered.
Not buying any of this "NRL has fucked us over" dribble. We, and all the other shit clubs have done that to ourselves. In our case, the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out by White and Seibold. We need to get our house in order and it starts with the front office. Hopefully this Dave D is as good as he is made out to be. We need to be smarter on and off the field.
Totally agree with this sentiment, Brisbane alone got themselves into this hole. And I think he's right to not introduce rules to help mediocrity, but he should never have messed with the rules in the first place, fullstop. There has to be checks and balances in place to stop the administration of the time doing whatever they like with the rules. If rules are going to be changed it has to go through some sort of process, and part of that should include at least a season in action in lower grades.

It was the 2008 NYC GF. He wanted to play for Wests because he’d played there more that year.
Man my memory is shot. Haha. We were mates with trigger back in those days and used to always be down at wests watching the boys. Let’s not get started on trigger 🥴

Under 20s to be reintroduced at the whim of Lord vlandys. Wtf is wrong with this bloke, honestly does he just think it up on the toilet and conclude it HAS TO happen his way. He will ruin this game, the uunder 20s may be good to bring back but it won't stop the divide. The teams at the top stockpile talent regardless of age, nothing to do with development. Look at us! Scrap the salary cap!

Under 20s to be reintroduced at the whim of Lord vlandys. Wtf is wrong with this bloke, honestly does he just think it up on the toilet and conclude it HAS TO happen his way. He will ruin this game, the uunder 20s may be good to bring back but it won't stop the divide. The teams at the top stockpile talent regardless of age, nothing to do with development. Look at us! Scrap the salary cap!

Just gives the poaching clubs even more of a chance to see the best talent without even having to do any work for it.

LOL @ how he holds up Penrith as this bastion of how to have an amazing Rugby League Club:

“They get rewarded for being proactive. I take my hat off to Penrith because they are a club that everyone should look at. Look at how much they spend on junior development, how much they spend on junior participation. Look at the initiative to go into country areas and start up their academies."

Sure, no worries Snake Oil Pete, now explain how the Roosters do it all???

Not a fan of bringing the 20's back if it's in the same form as last time.. I think it degrades the ISC competitions and stifles development of the players.

It can also have a massive negative impact on mental health... it can foster an attitude of "if you haven't made it into the NRL by the time you're 20, you're done as a footballer"

Let these kids develop away from the spotlight and also emphasise a focus on tertiary studies, apprenticeships, etc. to turn them into men before they hit first grade

How good were the Greenberg days when things were actually discussed with clubs. This wanker just makes unilateral decisions on a whim and that's that.

Deadset, I've always had pros and cons for most NRL CEOs but this guy I flat out can't stand.

He should probably just **** off back to the joke that his horse racing. Let actual sports administrators look after the real sports, and let fucknuts like him go play with his gambling buddies.

Not buying any of this "NRL has fucked us over" dribble. We, and all the other shit clubs have done that to ourselves. In our case, the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out by White and Seibold. We need to get our house in order and it starts with the front office. Hopefully this Dave D is as good as he is made out to be. We need to be smarter on and off the field.
He is.

Bring back reserve grade.
He wants to bring back both.

How are NRL clubs going to be able to afford it? That's more players, staff and travel expenses they have to cover which given the state the game is currently in doesn't appear to be feasible.

I think there's a lot of short memories with the NYC. It was introduced in the wake of players like Karmichael Hunt, Sonny Bill Williams, Benji Marshall, Greg Inglis, Jarryd Hayne and Israel Folau hitting the scene at a young age. The idea is that they'd create a competition where you would see these young players face off against one another with the minimum age of the NRL being raised to 21. However that never saw the light of day and a lot of the clubs continued to play their best juniors in the state leagues and the NRL.

You would think with the millions invested, the competition would have created an over-abundance of talent that would force the NRL's hand and create more teams but we didn't see any noticeable changes in that facet. Even with the introduction of the Gold Coast Titans, we didn't see a rise of the number of new players entering the NRL rise.

In the end, it was just a really expensive form of match day entertainment that barely anyone paid any attention to. There was hardly any footage of the competition online, match day stats were unavailable for a large period of time and it barely rated a mention in most Rugby League circles. In most cases, Channel 9 would reveal the score, they'd make light of the scoreline and move on.

I just don't see how after everything that's happened, V'landys first instinct is 'we need to bring back NYC'. The competition suffered due to a worldwide pandemic which saw less movement on the player market and the cancellation of reserve grade. Of course the bottom teams are going to struggle, especially when you've got all these new systems inheriting these teams and trying to make chicken salad out of it. However I fail to see how this solves anything, instead of forcing more changes on clubs how about we let things settle?

The NRL's attitude just seems so rotten. During such an uncertain time they continue to just throw curve ball after curve ball all in the name of entertainment. I can't say it's too entertaining for these players and coaches to watch their dreams get torn to shreds because these changes are being made on a whim. That's the strange contradiction of Rugby League, on one hand it is just a game but we're talking high pressure seven figure jobs and so much of it can come down to bad officiating, ridiculous player raids and terrible draws.

It's just crazy to me, you can't go 5 minutes without being reminded of COVID but when it comes to Rugby League it's like the game didn't expect any blowback. Clubs are just expected to turn things around at a time where turning the tide couldn't be anymore difficult.

He wants to bring back both.

How are NRL clubs going to be able to afford it? That's more players, staff and travel expenses they have to cover which given the state the game is currently in doesn't appear to be feasible.

I think there's a lot of short memories with the NYC. It was introduced in the wake of players like Karmichael Hunt, Sonny Bill Williams, Benji Marshall, Greg Inglis, Jarryd Hayne and Israel Folau hitting the scene at a young age. The idea is that they'd create a competition where you would see these young players face off against one another with the minimum age of the NRL being raised to 21. However that never saw the light of day and a lot of the clubs continued to play their best juniors in the state leagues and the NRL.

You would think with the millions invested, the competition would have created an over-abundance of talent that would force the NRL's hand and create more teams but we didn't see any noticeable changes in that facet. Even with the introduction of the Gold Coast Titans, we didn't see a rise of the number of new players entering the NRL rise.

In the end, it was just a really expensive form of match day entertainment that barely anyone paid any attention to. There was hardly any footage of the competition online, match day stats were unavailable for a large period of time and it barely rated a mention in most Rugby League circles. In most cases, Channel 9 would reveal the score, they'd make light of the scoreline and move on.

I just don't see how after everything that's happened, V'landys first instinct is 'we need to bring back NYC'. The competition suffered due to a worldwide pandemic which saw less movement on the player market and the cancellation of reserve grade. Of course the bottom teams are going to struggle, especially when you've got all these new systems inheriting these teams and trying to make chicken salad out of it. However I fail to see how this solves anything, instead of forcing more changes on clubs how about we let things settle?

The NRL's attitude just seems so rotten. During such an uncertain time they continue to just throw curve ball after curve ball all in the name of entertainment. I can't say it's too entertaining for these players and coaches to watch their dreams get torn to shreds because these changes are being made on a whim. That's the strange contradiction of Rugby League, on one hand it is just a game but we're talking high pressure seven figure jobs and so much of it can come down to bad officiating, ridiculous player raids and terrible draws.

It's just crazy to me, you can't go 5 minutes without being reminded of COVID but when it comes to Rugby League it's like the game didn't expect any blowback. Clubs are just expected to turn things around at a time where turning the tide couldn't be anymore difficult.

You are talking about a guy who literally thinks he can do no wrong, makes up stuff as he goes and thinks every decision is a winner and makes sure he gets praised by the media, what do you expect?

personally I liked the u20s, I think having it in conjunction with ressies would be great, and would certainly make the match day experience better.

i do get the arguments from a battle hardening perspective tho.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.