Luke Patten

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
As State of Origin anticipation begins , my focus once again becomes the video ref , Luke Patton. The guy is on record as saying he had no problems with Gallons unprovoked assault on Myles two years ago. That is water under the bridge, but it shows where his heart lies.
Don’t forget who was in the box last year denying Thaiday’s try. That decision cost us the series in my opinion . This year the series promises to be just as close and I for one don’t want Patton anywhere near the box.

Re: Luke Patton

Patten seems to explain his decisions well when he goes on ABC Grandstand. To be honest, I don't believe in singling out video refs - they all get decisions wrong, and that is unforgivable, unlike on-field refs missing tiny knock-ons.

I disagree. Like any judge they need to be impartial and to be seen to be impartial. Can't see how it presents a good look to have a previous player adjudicating on a team with previous team mates. There must be someone else to choose. How would NSW feel if Gorden Tallis was the 1/3. Wait ,where does his allegence lie these days?

What genius thought up the idea of letting ex players control of the video box? Surly we need fully qualified experienced referees in control of SOO . Patten was an actual video ref when he defended Gallon using Myles head as a punching bag. Now that's got to tell you something about the guy. It tells me that Qld will never get a 50:50 call if he has anything to do with it.

The nine commentary team will certainly not highlight an incorrect video ref decision against Qld ,we saw that last year in the Thaiday decision. Had to laugh when Warren was giving his interpretation of a video ref decision in a recent game , and clearly stated that if a player in the process of scoring a try had the ball knoced out of his grasp by an opposing player and then fell on it , then it,s a try.That thought never even entered his head last year when the precisely same thing happened to Thaiday.

1427646249.jpg

NSW 1-0. They've earned the right to brag......

I've always had a problem with Luke Patton the video ref tbh. Whenever there's a controversial vid ref ruling, he seems to be in the box. I don't think it has anything to do with bias, he's just a shit ****.

Bias is not necessarily premeditated dishonesty. It can be subconscious and out of the individuals control to a degree. Warrens and Gould's and Sterling's love for the blues simply allowed them to ignore the fact that Hayne knocked the ball out of Thaiday's hands last year.Their emotion overcome them ,unprofessional but understandable in a way. But it's one thing to have a bunch of Blues fans in the commentary box , but a completely different thing to have them in the video ref 's box.

Broncoman ,answer truthfully, would you be happy to have Patten adjudicate in a semi final between the Broncos and Bulldogs?

How would NSW feel if Gorden Tallis was the 1/3. Wait ,where does his allegence lie these days?

The one that actually pay him, or is it the team that has the least amount of people he dislikes in it.

Bias is not necessarily premeditated dishonesty. It can be subconscious and out of the individuals control to a degree. Warrens and Gould's and Sterling's love for the blues simply allowed them to ignore the fact that Hayne knocked the ball out of Thaiday's hands last year.Their emotion overcome them ,unprofessional but understandable in a way. But it's one thing to have a bunch of Blues fans in the commentary box , but a completely different thing to have them in the video ref 's box.

Broncoman ,answer truthfully, would you be happy to have Patten adjudicate in a semi final between the Broncos and Bulldogs?

I've got no confidence in any of the match officials so it won't really matter who is in the box or on the field I wouldn't be confident regardless of who the officials were.

Re: Luke Patton

Patten seems to explain his decisions well when he goes on ABC Grandstand. To be honest, I don't believe in singling out video refs - they all get decisions wrong, and that is unforgivable, unlike on-field refs missing tiny knock-ons.

^ This

Video ref mistakes are inexcusable they've got large screens (I think), zoom in shoots, slow motion replays and the like but still manage to stuff it up somehow.

I agreed with his decision not to over-turn the decision on Thaiday's No Try in Origin II. While I believe Hayne played at the ball, it's difficult to prove that he intentionally played at it or whether Sam was able to assume control of it before the ball hit the ground.

I was annoyed that the video referees didn't speak up when the ball touched Woods and in those situations, the video referee should speak up since the game does slow down but I'm not going to cry conspiracy.

Still, I understand the concern and I don't understand why you'd risk any potential conflict of interest. And that's hardly a new concern either, it existed for decades which is why Queensland and New South Wales fans respectively got upset whenever a referee from the opposition's state would be chosen, even if they were fit for the job.

I agreed with his decision not to over-turn the decision on Thaiday's No Try in Origin II. While I believe Hayne played at the ball, it's difficult to prove that he intentionally played at it or whether Sam was able to assume control of it before the ball hit the ground.

I was annoyed that the video referees didn't speak up when the ball touched Woods and in those situations, the video referee should speak up since the game does slow down but I'm not going to cry conspiracy.

Still, I understand the concern and I don't understand why you'd risk any potential conflict of interest. And that's hardly a new concern either, it existed for decades which is why Queensland and New South Wales fans respectively got upset whenever a referee from the opposition's state would be chosen, even if they were fit for the job.

I can't quite follow your logic on this one BP. What difference does it make if Hayne intentionally or unintentionally played at the ball? Sam only had to fall on the ball with out knocking it on for it to be a try .He does not have to regather it before it hits the ground. Don't forget Harrigan said it was a try for sure. In any event ,it's just an example of a quite technical , but crucial decision that in my opinion Patten is not qualified to adjudicate on, even putting potential bias aside. I would much rather have an experienced professional referee calling the shots in the video box. At least their livelyhood depends on their performance.

What difference does it make if Hayne intentionally or unintentionally played at the ball?

If he had have been ruled to have played at it, it would have been ruled a strip meaning the ball would have been 'live' and Sam would have been able to just fall on it.

Sam only had to fall on the ball with out knocking it on for it to be a try

No, he had to actually regather the ball and assume control of it since the referee believed he had knocked on.

Don't forget Harrigan said it was a try for sure.

Because Bill believed Hayne played at the football, that was the crux of his argument.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...hould-have-stood/story-fniablkr-1226962380390

It was a frustrating call but given the current system, I don't blame Patten for ruling the way he did. Had I been in that situation, I would have made the same call even though I know full and well that Hayne was in all likelihood playing at the football.

OK BP , let's agree to disagree on the Thaiday no try. Did you see the segment on grandstand when Patten was insisting it was OK for Gallon "to assert his authority over Myles". (referring to the unprovoked punch fest on Myles head) Wilko the compare seemed flabbergasted that Patten , then a video ref, could express such an opinion, even referring to the one punch can kill campaign which was a hot topic at the time. Patten refused to recant and repeated that it was OK with him, because Origin is different to normal circumstances or games. I wish I could find the segment to upload it.

I just found that galling coming from an NRL match official. I found it even more galling that he was given the job of video ref the next year. And I for one will be super pissed if the guy gets another jersey this year.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.