SPOILER Marvel/DC Comic Book and Movie Chat

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Cult3, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Unfortunately the opinions of morons get as much weight as those of people who actually watched the movie before deciding they hated it because SJWs.

It's no Winter Soldier, but it's as solid an origin story movie as you're going to get.

Sproj likes this.
  2. It's comfortably better than either Hulk movie, GotG 2, Thor 2, Avengers 2 and both Iron Man sequels.

If you look at the breakdown, nearly 20% gave it one star. Which is more than those giving it 2,3,4,5 and 6 combined. I'd say the tens are largely fans combating those one stars.

3. Sproj

Sproj

Spoilers ahead obviously !!

Well...she escalated quickly!!

Loved the post credit scenes, the first one has me excited for Avengers 4. The second one was kind of pointless but I loved they went with the ‘cat’ from the comics.

Also really liked the Coulson cameos and Fury’s eye furphy and then actual eye reason. It’s so silly it worked.

Also really liked the Skrull twist but couldn’t take the Aussie accent seriously, even though Mendelsohn did a really good job. I liked that they subverted him into not being the bad guy which he has been in almost every sci-fi blockbuster in the last two-three years.

As an origin story, it was really good but three problems for me:

1. Her powers escalated waaaaaaaaay too quickly.

2. Still don’t understand why Fury waited so long in Infinity War. I mean he must have been abreast of Thanos’s arrival.

3. Sooooooo...no military movement at all with ships flying in space, decloaking labs and a flying woman??

All in all, a fun movie that sort of filled in some gaps while creating a few others.

1. I have to disagree. Her powers were always that level but she didn't know her limits. And each time she reached what she thought it was, she exceeded it.

2. Not so sure. He's an ex-spy as far as the Avengers are concerned, not exactly the kind of guy you bring to a battle with the most powerful villain in the universe. So he probably wouldn't have know the level of threat that Thanos posed and assumed the Avengers could handle an invasion of Wakanda like they handled the Chitauri.

3. This is the first alien contact that involves ships so shield/US military probably didn't have eyes out that way. I'd assume that with advanced technology the Kree ships were probably undetectable via radar anyway. The battle with the accuser ships was pretty short. And the re-entry area was in a desert so not that many eyes to see two relatively small ships flying around. That's not really a plot hole to me.

Porthoz likes this.
  4. Sproj

Sproj

Point 2 and 3 are not huge issues for me either to be honest, just putting them out there.

Point 1 is not an issue as someone familiar with the comics because I know she is that powerful. My problem though is how she fits into the Avengers. This was set 20-30 years ago and she was that powerful then. One would assume she is even more powerful / skilled now. If that’s the case, does she even need the Avengers? How do they power her up even more in Avengers 4 without sidelining everyone else?

This is more a concern than a plot hole.

5. Only have to wait 6 weeks to find out.

Sproj likes this.
  6. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

I enjoyed it but like Black Panther, the main hero wasn't close to being the best part. Larson was just so bland and reminds me of Superman because she is too powerful. Her emotional range was on par with Captain Holt but unintentional. Loved the soundtrack and most of the storyline was done well. I'd definitely watch it again though.

[​IMG]

Sproj likes this.
  7. Sproj

Sproj

Totally agree.

8. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Wasn't the entire point of the story that she was supposed to be an emotionless super soldier assassin? And that the bad guys were constantly encouraging her to control her emotions because they knew she'd vapourise them if she was able to let loose?

When she finally unleashes, she's laughing and cheering. To me it felt like a deliberate acting/directing choice, not bad acting.

Porthoz likes this.
  9. Same way they powered up Thor I suppose? In the comics Thor is way more powerful than Captain Marvel and even Thanos for that matter, having single-handedly defeated both Thanos and Galactus (as Rune King Thor). At his peak he discovers he can access Odin’s power (the Odin Force) and then Rune Force magic, at which point he is the third or 4th most powerful being in the entire galaxy. In the movies he is still on that journey...

Even in the last movie he took down Thanos at full power with the full Infinity Guantlet, albeit Thanos got the finger snap off so it didn’t matter...

Not overly concerned with Captain Marvel’s power. Providing a believable reason she didn’t come back and help when all the Avenger / Dr Strange planet defending stuff was going off is a bigger issue...

Sproj likes this.
  10. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

That would make sense if you've never seen her act in anything else

11. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    To be fair, other than Scott Pilgrim, I haven't. The Oscars are a bit of a joke, but they don't tend to give them to people who can't act.

12. I tend to agree with, although "power" is quite relative in the Marvel multiverse. So much so, that every ranking you find will be vastly different from every other, with the exception of the One-above-all, who is untouchable at the top.

We're only starting to touch on the truly powerful cosmic beings now (with the exception of the Silver Surfer and Galactus in the Fantastic 4 movie), and we've only experienced a small sample of the Phoenix Force powers. The movies aren't following any or the novels archs that I've seen, so anything can happen I guess, including allowing Ms Marvel to be more vulnerable than she actually is.

As to your question... the better one is probably: Why didn't Fury "page" her earlier?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  13. Sproj

Sproj

Yep I feel you’ve pretty much spoken what I’m thinking as well. I don’t mind her being this powerful, I just didn’t think it worked her getting that powerful that quick in the movie. With Thor, we’ve seen him grow in a number of MCU movies, lose at times and make mistakes while getting there.

Ms. Marvel sort of just went hmmm...I can cheer bump and destroy starships now. She just is Thoresque...like that, done. No trials, no worries.

But yes, why Fury waited this long, that will take some explaining.

14. scobie

scobie NYC Player

I've just seen the movie and I liked it. Not a "great" movie but definitely in the "really good" category. Bit slow through the middle but that's to be expected when there's a story to tease out.

Just in regards to most people on here questioning why it took Fury so long to contact her. Tbf I'm sure there were plenty of times he could have through the years(and movies), but he always backed the avengers to get the job done. And they always did. The one that stands out the most is in the first avengers movie when there was the alien invasion. All was nearly lost until Stark did what he did at the last minute. And I'm sure Fury believed they could handle Thanos as well. Right up until they didn't. Then he realised they were in big trouble and sent for her. Not really an issue for me at all.

As regards her powers escalating quickly, yeah that's fair enough. But they didn't have a few movies to do it the bit by bit way. I thought the way they did, in the whole 2 places at the same time thing really worked. It will be interesting now to see how they keep everyone else relevant in Endgame when she's around.

Sproj likes this.
  15. Sproj

Sproj

It would be interesting to rank the Avengers by way of power now in the MCU. I’m not sure Thor would be too far behind Ms. Marvel given he took down Thanos and basically took on the army and their ships single-handedly in Wakanda, plus took the full power of a star into his body.

That said, Ms. Marvel has had another two-three decades since we saw her taking out ships, destroying planet destroying missiles and putting on pretty light shows. They are clearly the top two.

After that, it would be an interesting discussion. For me Hulk comes in at three and if he becomes Professor Hulk in Avengers 4, he is getting pretty close to the top two in terms of strength but not the ability to use other powers which limits him a little.

I’d then assume it’s Doctor Strange, given his ability to use elements others can’t get into, puts him another plane, so hard to judge.

Scarlet Wanda (She’s never actually called by her comic name in the movies) obviously has some pretty powerful hand wavy things, she’s starting to show what she is capable of as well.

Then Iron Man given his suit can now pretty much do whatever he needs it to do and he did fairly well up against Thanos after the Starlord idiocy.

Spider-Man probably comes in next, though I think this is where it gets hugely debatable. You are sort of arguing between street level heroes. Spidey has a lot going for him with his web slinging, sense and positivity, but he is also very strong.

Not really going to rank the rest. That said, for me the wild card is Vision. In the comics he is extremely powerful and I don’t think it was a coincidence he was sidelined during Avengers 3 being injured. He can do a lot of damage when he reaches his full abilities and isn’t damaged himself.