Mateo still has hopes to line up for Blues

Well if League wants a genuine international scene, it has to follow that lead. It's the only way to make it work.

It'll never happen. League is perfectly content being restricted to Australia and the north of England.

Or they could have NRL byes during SOO weeks, have the SOO and also have developing nations play some tests against each other those same weekend - then they would at least be getting some more 'tests' and it would also address the issues people seem to have over there only being 1 game of footy on the weekend. Just a thought.

Frank the Tank said:
i brought up Hunt because i knew hed be the person that people on here would overlook because they love him,

No dude, you brought up hunt, because he's always on your mind.

Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around.

Frank the Tank said:
even though hes far less entitled to play origin than Mateo.

he was born in NZ, mateo was born in NSW. Mateo is an Australian of Tongan descent, whereas Hunt is a New Zealander who now lives in Australia (according to wikipedia he moved here when he was 11, so he actually spent most of his life in NZ), and i assume is now an australian resident.that right there means mateo automatically has more right to play Origin than Hunt. Hunt chose Aus/Origin over NZ, same with Mason.

Mateo can be selected, if he chooses to represent Australia.

I can't understand how anyone struggles with the selection criteria. (apart from the Inglis vortex [icon_wink )

Under Origin eligibility rules, players born in one state may appear for the other should they play their first senior game in that state. In order to represent their States, players must be eligible to represent Australia if selected.

That is pretty clear cut!! If Mateo says he's an aussie (which he is) and chooses to play for Australia (which he should, because he's an Aussie...not a Tongan!), not Tonga; he is eligiible to play for NSW.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Are you an aussie or a Tongan?

As for SBW.....I loved the interview where he said he was proud of his Samoan heritage, however then said he wanted to play Origin.......wait a sec mate!!! You're proud of your heritage and your culture? WELL CHAMP, AUSTRALIA HAS A CULTURE TOO!!! Australian RL has a thing called SoO. If you would like to be apart of it, get citizenship and you would be eligible!!!!

Frank the Tank said:
Hammo said:
Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round, i go around. Round, round, round,.......
oh i like how you thought your 'joke' was so funny you had to post it in not just one, but two different threads [icon_lol1.

Hunts case is PERFECT for this thread, thats why i brought it up.

Still not convinced. Hunt NEVER changed his eligibility, or looked to change it, because he might get a rep jersey.

In fact, NZRL tried DESPERATELY to get him to switch allegiances after he already stated he was an Aussie, guaranteeing him a test jumper. He didn't take it.

Ah fair enough when you put it that way mate - the only reason that I'm iffy about the situation and was always fine with Hunt was the fact that Hunt stated he was an Aussie from the very start (despite the fact that it looked likely then that he was many years off playing rep footy, if ever).

But I totally agree with you - Mateo is more than eligible to play for NSW/Australia. I just wish that he made his freaking mind about about where his allegiences lie!

He should be able to Stu.

In fact, it's discriminatory if he can't play for Tonga under the grandparent rule. But then, if/when he gets selected for Australia, he has to play for Aus OVER Tonga. if he is prepared to do that, then let him play.

SBW, plays for NZ and chose them, so he is never eligible for Aus.

Rally dumb stand off which I can't work out.
Mateo won't be selected unless he declares allegiance to AUS which means for the World cup Tonga can have him only if we don't want him.
Mateo will only declare allegiance to AUS if he is selected for NSW which they won't do unless he declares allegiance to AUS. [eusa_doh

Exactly...mateo has to make a choice. rom what i've read, the onus is on him to step up and make a choice.

Just out of interest here is a list of Tongan players for the WC
Not a bad squad for such a small country. Also Manu Vatuvie I believe is eligible as well as Fraser Anderson and Willie Tonga according to NRL on Fox.
Jim Dymock is the coach.

1. Fetuli talanoa
2. Sam Huihahau/Etuate Uaisele
3. Michael jennings
4. Tony Williams
5. Cooper Vuna
6. Eddie Paea/Albert Hopoate
7. Feleti Mateo
8. Manase Manuokafoa
9. Tevita Latu/eliakim Uasi
10. Lopini Paea
11. Epalahame Lauaki
12. Willie Manu/Andrew Emelio
13. Willie Tupou
14. Mickey Paea
15. Lorenzo Ma'afu
16. Richard Fa'aoso
17. Hemani Moala
18. John tamanika
19. Esikeli Tonga
20. Kingi Akauola

Will there be a push for this now that Bird is out? eusa_think

I think it just means anasta will be back for the blues

ningnangnong said:
Will there be a push for this now that Bird is out? eusa_think
Push for what?

Hammo said:
For such a close match, he was kinda quiet today

So you didn't watch the game then??

I doubt he will make such an impact in Origin anyway.. He will crap his pants when The Maroons defensive line rushes up on him and puts him on his Ar$e!!

Active Now

• Broncs1459
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.