NEWS Matt Ballin promoted into a senior assistant coach’s role for 2023

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Matt Ballin has been promoted into senior assistant's role for next year to replace Terry Matterson. he appears to be highly rated by both management and the players.

CEO, Dave Donaghy says:

“Matt’s impressed everyone at the club since he arrived and he’s been a great support to Kev in that time,” he said.

“He came highly regarded from Manly from his time working with Des and I’d absolutely put him in that category of younger assistant coaches with the potential to be a first-grade coach some time in the future.”

Patty Carrigan says:

“He is a super smart guy,” Carrigan said.

“He has played a lot of footy in a pretty successful Manly team with guys like Jamie Lyon, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans and Matt Orford.

“The way he sees the game and communicates, not only tactically with the players in the spine but also the forwards, is pretty cool.

“He was definitely good for me this year in terms of picking his brain. He is someone who encourages you to put in the work at training and use your skills as a player.

“He’s built a lot of relationships with the work he did with the Queensland Cup boys this year. He has only been at the club for one year but is awesome.”

I like this but what worries me is that if his voice was already there last year and we didn't do great, where is that extra level going to come from? We still need the answer to come from somewhere else.

I like this but what worries me is that if his voice was already there last year and we didn't do great, where is that extra level going to come from? We still need the answer to come from somewhere else.
This was my initial thought too. Also I’m massively concerned about there seemingly being no changes to address the defensive flaws.

So is Briers actually an assistant coach or is he taking his initially reported role that was the same as Ballin’s?

Regardless, congrats to Matt for being promoted to the role of future interim coach

Happy to be proven wrong but this promotion within doesn’t give me any confidence as to how we will do better in our defense next season.
Basically, Kev’s surrounding himself with his “Yes, men”.
I only hope Matt &/ John develops a strong voice in off season and be very vocal around the playing group.

Yeh i have nothing really to base my opinion on but the promotion doesn't fill me with excitement. There's been no talk of Ballin been the next big thing in the coaching ranks or being super impressive from anyone's view (apart from the people who have to talk him up).

I still think we need another really experienced tactical/technical type of assistant.

And i know he's a pain but we need a guy like corey Parker on the training paddock who will hold them accountable. Someone who will genuinely put them to the sword and turn around and tell them they're weak as piss and haven't won shit yet. A bit of old fassion love.

The more I learn about Cozza the more I feel inclined to say keep him away from young pups. He was a Bronco great when he retired, but some of the shit he sprouts says a lot more about Corey than it does about the people he is critiquing.

An assistant coach, indeed any mentor worth their salt should be able to highlight a young up and coming player's shortcomings without having to resort to aggressive confrontational put downs.

Sure, the next generation of kids might be seen as having a bigger than normal snowflake gene, but maybe that's grounds for an even more considered approach when trying to coach the best out of them as they are maturing.

The more I learn about Cozza the more I feel inclined to say keep him away from young pups. He was a Bronco great when he retired, but some of the shit he sprouts says a lot more about Corey than it does about the people he is critiquing.

An assistant coach, indeed any mentor worth their salt should be able to highlight a young up and coming player's shortcomings without having to resort to aggressive confrontational put downs.

Sure, the next generation of kids might be seen as having a bigger than normal snowflake gene, but maybe that's grounds for an even more considered approach when trying to coach the best out of them as they are maturing.
So....continue to mollycoddle them

Thats your advice?

Thats a hard pass from me.........

So....continue to mollycoddle them

Thats your advice?

Thats a hard pass from me.........

With an overly emotional coach like Kevvie constant negative reinforcement will only lead to emotional and mental fatigue and mixed messages.

I hope Ballin as a younger assistant coach can relate to the players better than Matterson and if he has something worthwhile to offer can bring it to the fore.

I'd also like to see Reyno be a bit more vocal and dominant on the field, he was a bit passive at times this year.

With an overly emotional coach like Kevvie constant negative reinforcement will only lead to emotional and mental fatigue and mixed messages.

I hope Ballin as a younger assistant coach can relate to the players better than Matterson and if he has something worthwhile to offer can bring it to the fore.

I'd also like to see Reyno be a bit more vocal and dominant on the field, he was a bit passive at times this year.

Ballin is a teacher by trade- which I know doesn't mean you can communicate effectively- teachers can be bad at their job too but Ballin isn't one of them.

He's very good at explaining the why of things. The young players really get on with him. He was the staff member that went to see Mozer in hospital straight after his op not many assistant coaches would do that for a kid.

Ballin is a teacher by trade- which I know doesn't mean you can communicate effectively- teachers can be bad at their job too but Ballin isn't one of them.

He's very good at explaining the why of things. The young players really get on with him. He was the staff member that went to see Mozer in hospital straight after his op not many assistant coaches would do that for a kid.
To be fair though, it was his job to work with younger players transitioning to the NRL at the time. Kurt Richards used to drive Corey Norman to Brisbane from the GC for training. So I imagine many development coaches would, in fact, visit young players in hospital.

A bit of carry on going on in here, not just here, a lot of the threads actually.

We didn't have THAT BAD of a year, sure the ending wasn't great but for 3/4 of the season we were every bit a top 4 side. With that in mind, where's the sense in cleaning out the coaching staff?

It's a gradual process, it takes time to go from genuine wooden spooners to a top 4 side and before someone comes at me with the Cowboys being an example, their situation was never anywhere near as bad as ours. Not even close, actually.

So, you reckon we were a top 4 side with diabolical Tuesday team lists & use of bench huh? I rest my case here if you think so.

A bit of carry on going on in here, not just here, a lot of the threads actually.

We didn't have THAT BAD of a year, sure the ending wasn't great but for 3/4 of the season we were every bit a top 4 side. With that in mind, where's the sense in cleaning out the coaching staff?

It's a gradual process, it takes time to go from genuine wooden spooners to a top 4 side and before someone comes at me with the Cowboys being an example, their situation was never anywhere near as bad as ours. Not even close, actually.
Bit of carry on and a lot of eye rolling haha

We weren't a top 4 side. We just had a manageable run mid season and beat the teams we are supposed to beat in that time. We were never really near the top teams this year like the panthers, storm, cowboys, eels (we got them on a bad night and they repaid the favor 10 folds the next round), roosters, souths (with latrell in the side)

Unread

Active Now

• Galah
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Johnny92
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • Porthoz
  • MrRobot
  • Footy Fanatic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.