Matthew Johns: NSW will win State of Origin this Year

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
Matty Johns calls it: NSW Blues will win this year?s State of Origin series | News.com.au

MATTY Johns is adamant.

This is the year NSW will finally break through and end Queensland’s historic State of Origin streak.

The Maroons have won eight in a row, in case anyone needed reminding, and this year host two games at fortress Suncorp.

Just over a month out from game one in Brisbane on May 28, Johns has put it all on the line, declaring the Blues as certainties.

Johns pinpointed Jarryd Hayne and Josh Dugan as keys to NSW’s chances, while also stating Queensland’s stars were not performing well in the NRL this season.

“It’s been a long time coming but NSW will win this year’s Origin series. There’s no doubt about it,” Johns said on Triple M.

“Jarryd Hayne has returned to top form. He was unbelievable (against the Tigers on Monday).

I was talking to Laurie Daley about this. It can work for NSW.

“All we’ve got to do is win that first game in Queensland. Go up there and catch them cold in that first game and history as shown we can do that.

“Then we return to NSW to wrap up the series.

“There are signs that we are on the up and up and there are serious signs the Queensland mainstay of that side – the core of that side – are struggling at club level.

“So this is going to be the year. Trust me.”

Johns then revealed an insight into the respective NSW and Queensland camps, saying the Blues had to scrap the drinking culture if they truly wanted to end the drought.

“Here’s the problem: there is a failing in the NSW system,” Johns explained.

“You go into Origin camp and you’d actually be saying to yourself three days in, ‘I can’t believe I’m preparing for the most important game of my life and it’s the third day in a row that I’m drunk.’

“It’s been pulled right back these days, but there’s still that wink, wink, nudge, nudge culture in NSW in the fact that, ‘Yep, we’re going to stay off the drink, but you know what? We’ll go and have a drink anyway. We’ll go and do it somewhere quiet where we won’t bother anyone.’”

Queensland has a very different culture when it comes to alcohol, Johns said.

“There’s a story that’s well known up in Queensland. The players went to XXXX Island … for their camp. What they do is they invite all the journalists along and then at 8 o’clock at night they send the journalists away,” he said.

“The impression everyone gets there is … the Queensland boys are about to rip into the drink.

But what happened there was, when the journalists were back on the boat to Rockhampton, Cameron Smith pulled the players in and said, ‘We’re going to pull the wool over everyone’s eyes and we’re not going to have a drink. We’re here to win the series. Let them all think we’re here to have a drink, but we’re here to win the series.’

“In NSW it’s got to the point now that we really don’t need the big bonding night. I just think winning is enough.

“I think the carrot to win the first series in nine years, to be part of that side, you’ve got to ask yourself that question as a player: ‘Is that enough? If the sacrifice worth it?’ And I would say, ‘Yes!’”

Last edited:
The mind games begin... If they ever actually stopped. He's just trying to put some confidence & belief in the team. Which of course will be shattered the moment their team sheet is released.

He just makes shit up, how the **** would he know what happens on xxxx island

“All we’ve got to do is win that first game in Queensland. Go up there and catch them cold in that first game and history as shown we can do that.

“Then we return to NSW to wrap up the series.
Sounds so simple, why didn't some other numbnuts like Tricky Stuart think of this failsafe gameplan?

I love this stuff before and during Origin. Let's hope those in the Blues camp are that delusional.

A former NSW representative and Blues diehard backing his own state!! wow what a surprise.

Hope he is right NSW aren't far behind and have the determination and motivation to win.

MATTY Johns is adamant.

This is the year NSW will finally break through and end Queensland’s historic State of Origin streak.

mj-laughing1.gif

Every year we hear this.

"NSW have done this, NSW have done that. They will win it because of that".

JUST SHUT THE **** UP! The more you talk yourselves up, the harder we laugh when QLD win.

It's been fucking great watching this team dominate for 8 years, but man I'm going to need to be on suicide watch when the Blues finally do win again. It's probably going to be one of the saddest days of my life. It won't be this year, however. I can see this team wanting at least 10 straight.

It's been fucking great watching this team dominate for 8 years, but man I'm going to need to be on suicide watch when the Blues finally do win again. It's probably going to be one of the saddest days of my life. It won't be this year, however. I can see this team wanting at least 10 straight.

So true! I dont have the practice at handling a QLD loss like I used to. I cant remember how to do it!

The law of averages says that they must be close to winning a series.......hopefully not before we get to 10 in a row though.

NSW are only going to get a look in in 2016 after QLD have won their 10th in a row.

Bit like bowlers getting batsmen shortly after they've struck the 100.

By then, the team will have a different look (no doubt Tate, Hodges, Parker will have moved on by then, Slater and Smith will be nearing the end of their careers).

NSW currently do not have anyone to pull the game out of the fire in the championship minutes. Unlike Thurston, Slater, Cronk, Inglis.

Hayne is looking good, but won't do it on his own.

Every year we hear this.

"NSW have done this, NSW have done that. They will win it because of that".

Absolutely. Johns brothers, Kimmorley, and Gus, every single year. You can sense the origin tide is turning, blah blah blah.

Truth be told, I think they are fielding a pretty competitive team lately, but are let down majorly in some key positions, as well as lacking strategically. Too much emphasis on the niggle, not enough on playing footy.

All good things come to an end, but it won't be this year!

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • broncos4life
  • Galah
  • broncs30
  • Rambstien
  • Alec
  • phoenix
  • bert_lifts
  • Financeguy
  • Redux
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Justwin
  • winslow_wong
  • Wolfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.