Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
F64a050e790d1b1e21ff12b2ebf8d3aa

McGuire had heart-to-heart with Meninga about not becoming a one-Test wonder

October 11, 2017 7:03pm

JOSH McGuire did his homework for his Kangaroos recall by ringing Mal Meninga to ask what he had to do to avoid becoming a one-Test wonder.

McGuire had a heart-to-heart with Meninga, his first State of Origin coach, when he was bypassed for Australia’s Four Nations tour late last year and their win over New Zealand in May.

The Broncos lock’s Kangaroo ambitions are such that he backed out of best-man duties at his brother’s wedding so he can play for the Kangaroos in their warm-up games in Fiji.

McGuire played his one Test so far in the May, 2016 trans-Tasman clash.

“I just pride myself on this being the ultimate team to be a part of,’’ he said.

“l called Mal after the Anzac Test this year and voiced to him that I wanted to be part of this team for the World Cup and asked what I needed to show him.

“I didn’t want to finish as a one-Test player.

“There were things in my game which could improve so I warranted a jersey. I wasn’t playing at the level required.

“It gave me motivation this year that I wanted to be a part of this team. I wanted to have a big Origin series and cement a place in the Queensland side.’’

McGuire’s brother Jacob is getting married this weekend, but the Bronco needs to be in Fiji, where the Kangaroos are playing two 40-minute games against the locals and Papua New Guinea.

“I‘d love to have been there, but you never know when it’s your last Australian jersey,’’ he said.

“I want to be in the Australian team every game. I’m chuffed to be in the squad again.

“No one is guaranteed an Australian jersey, especially with the big crop of younger forwards wanting to be a mainstay in this team for years.’’

McGuire said he empathised with clubmate Sam Thaiday, who felt his World Cup team omission so acutely he vented on social media that he had not been afforded the courtesy of being told before the team became public by media.

“He’s had a great career for the Australian team and played so many years,’’ he said.

Skipper Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk are Billy Slater are the only four survivors in the 24-man squad from Australia’s 2013 World Cup final win. Boyd Cordner played in a pool game.

Meninga’s desire to surround his teams with winners saw him invite Johnathan Thurston into camp in Brisbane on Wednesday.

“It’s all about the culture of the team and what it’s about, guys like Johnno, Cameron, Billy and Cooper who instil what it means to play for this jersey,’’ McGuire said.

Source: Courier Mail

Here I was think Moose didn't get picked for Australia but he did

A player gets dropped and picks up the phone like a man and asks what needs to be done.

Another player gets dropped, and goes on social media bitching like a little schoolgirl.

Need to weed out the sense of entitlement from the ranks.

Starts with the captain who can't lead. Goes on to the no.6 who expects a million dollars just for showing up. Then goes onto bench players who feel they are entitled to phone calls.

A player gets dropped and picks up the phone like a man and asks what needs to be done.

Another player gets dropped, and goes on social media bitching like a little schoolgirl.

Starts with the captain who can't lead. Goes on to the no.6 who expects a million dollars just for showing up. Then goes onto bench players who feel they are entitled to phone calls.

Player A is a one test player

Player B played 34 tests over a decade

But yeah its the same.

It really is quite sad when most of the members can't understand why Sam made that post...

Exactly. Its not about a player being dropped, its about having the decency to tell a good servant that he is being dropped. Football ability has nothing to do with respect.

Mal Meninga said he was wrong for doing that, so why are you on Sams case for. It doesn't make sense.

Without Milford we are not a top 8 team mark my words. For his game to step up he needs the go forward and a halfback that can control a game like hunt was doing in 2015.

It really is quite sad when most of the members can't understand why Sam made that post...
It's very disappointing, I guess they wouldn't mind when they're 60-65 nearly going into retirement and there boss fires them without an explanation like the younger fellas are just better than you mate, you've been a great worker for us but it's time for the next generation.

Exactly. Its not about a player being dropped, its about having the decency to tell a good servant that he is being dropped. Football ability has nothing to do with respect.

Cricket does it well. Cracker Hohns the Australian chairman of selectors rings players. Kaspa always says if he saw Cracker's number on his phone it's not good.

He says selectors never ring you for good reasons.

It's two fold, if you're young it's a this is what you need to do phone call, go back to the Queensland team and do this. If you're Mark Waugh it's a thanks mate for what you've done but you know why I am ringing.

Kevvie this year rang all the players dropped from the Queensland team and thanked them.

It's pretty hard to hear it on the radio driving to get milk and bread. You deserve better after 30 Origins and Kevvie made sure they knew before the team was announced.

Sam could have kept it in house though instead of telling the world. I'm sure if he told Mal in private he would have realised his mistake and apologised accordingly. Airing his grievances on social media for the world to see is sour grapes.

Sam could have kept it in house though instead of telling the world. I'm sure if he told Mal in private he would have realised his mistake and apologised accordingly. Airing his grievances on social media for the world to see is sour grapes.
As far as I can tell it was a news story for about 30mins when it occurred... just because it'll last till the end of time on BHQ doesn't mean it is some massive issue.

They've probably already sorted it out between themselves.

The way Mal hypes on about tradition, Sam should never have had to go public in the first place. Sam was probably more incensed that he rang Ferguson to tell him. Whilst I understand Ferguson might be a bit different due to his circumstances, both he and Thaiday were still incumbents from ANZAC squad. He earned at least a phone call from the coach before hand, not hearing it on the radio that he hadn't made the squad. Its not how you treat veterans in any sport who have contributed like Sam has.

The way Mal hypes on about tradition, Sam should never have had to go public in the first place. Sam was probably more incensed that he rang Ferguson to tell him. Whilst I understand Ferguson might be a bit different due to his circumstances, both he and Thaiday were still incumbents from ANZAC squad. He earned at least a phone call from the coach before hand, not hearing it on the radio that he hadn't made the squad. Its not how you treat veterans in any sport who have contributed like Sam has.

Absolutely spot on and nailed it. I honestly do not get that people cannot understand what Sam's concerns were. And again, incident is over, Meninga immediately (to his credit) acknowledged the wrong and apologized, issue dealt with.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Bronco bob
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • NSW stables
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Kev_Guz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.