NEWS Mead retirement - spare spot?

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
David Mead has retired for league effective immediately.
Transfers open until 1 August. Are we picking up someone else maybe?

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Walsh is coming early, which pushes Niu and TMM out to depth status. Mead is effectively 4th in line and is already primed for retirement anyway.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Probably 2 spots to fill? Can never keep track

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Does this mean anything for our cap?
You’d think Meady would be on the $140k mark which means him no longer being paid would contribute to about 50% of Walsh’s potential weekly costs.

If the Warriors take TMM that would basically cover the remaining amount.

But it feels disrespectful to Meady to speculate on his replacement instead of celebrating his career.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
@meady

cry-sad.gif

We'll always have that Roosters game.

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
You’d think Meady would be on the $140k mark which means him no longer being paid would contribute to about 50% of Walsh’s potential weekly costs.

If the Warriors take TMM that would basically cover the remaining amount.

But it feels disrespectful to Meady to speculate on his replacement instead of celebrating his career.
No disrespect intended. I'm more curious because my understanding is we have to have 29 players on the cap at 1 August.
I was also of the belief we'd already let one go and were at 29. And we've now had Meady retire which means either a promotion to top 30 for someone or an external recruitment.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
No disrespect intended. I'm more curious because my understanding is we have to have 29 players on the cap at 1 August.
I was also of the belief we'd already let one go and were at 29. And we've now had Meady retire which means either a promotion to top 30 for someone or an external recruitment.
Nah there’s a loop hole where you need to start the season with a top 30 but can release throughout the season without replacing. Ikin has been taking full advantage of it

Mum-the-meatloaf

Mum-the-meatloaf

QCup Player
Dec 6, 2019
Nah there’s a loop hole where you need to start the season with a top 30 but can release throughout the season without replacing. Ikin has been taking full advantage of it
Ah, thank you. So we shouldn't be expecting any other movement.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Hat trick that night. Was the first player to figure out how to stop Sammy Walkers incredible run of try assists with that harbour bridge pass that was begging to be intercepted.
What about Pangai in that clip? Walker must have had nightmares for weeks!

I was genuinely surprised at how well Mead played in his second stint. When he joined in 2017, I remember he tore it up on his club debut against the Roosters but struggled to replicate that form. It all came to a head in that Parramatta game where Radradra tore the Broncos up and effectively ruined their chances of a finals tilt.

I didn't expect much from Mead four years on, but he proved a really handy player and helped the Broncos find their feet during a turbulent period.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
What about Pangai in that clip? Walker must have had nightmares for weeks!

I was genuinely surprised at how well Mead played in his second stint. When he joined in 2017, I remember he tore it up on his club debut against the Roosters but struggled to replicate that form. It all came to a head in that Parramatta game where Radradra tore the Broncos up and effectively ruined their chances of a finals tilt.

I didn't expect much from Mead four years on, but he proved a really handy player and helped the Broncos find their feet during a turbulent period.
It was an amazing game to watch. It was one of Gamble’s most Gamble performances, Radley coming the closest I’ve seen to a human actually having steam come out of their ears like a cartoon with his constant sin bins and penalties, TPJ absolutely monstering Walker, Mead turning back the clock, Roosters losing.

One of my favourite games of the last few years.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
From my understanding, it works like this.

November 1: Name your Top 24 Players
March 1: Name your Top 29 Players
August 1: Name your Top 30 Players

Between those dates you can chop and change your squad, you just need to be able to meet those requirements by those deadlines.

From my understanding, the Broncos currently have a roster of 27 so they'll have to promote 3 players into their squad. It does leave room for Reece Walsh to come in early but they've yet to upgrade Te Maire Martin, Zac Hosking, Xavier Willison, Deine Mariner etc. who could easily fill those requirements.

Remember last year when I malded over the Danny Levi signing? The Te Maire Martin and Zac Hosking deals are the complete opposite - I'm really impressed with the Broncos and how they were able to manage both.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
From my understanding, it works like this.

November 1: Name your Top 24 Players
March 1: Name your Top 29 Players
August 1: Name your Top 30 Players

Between those dates you can chop and change your squad, you just need to be able to meet those requirements by those deadlines.

From my understanding, the Broncos currently have a roster of 27 so they'll have to promote 3 players into their squad. It does leave room for Reece Walsh to come in early but they've yet to upgrade Te Maire Martin, Zac Hosking, Xavier Willison, Deine Mariner etc. who could easily fill those requirements.

Remember last year when I malded over the Danny Levi signing last year? The Te Maire Martin and Zac Hosking deals are the complete opposite - I'm really impressed with the Broncos and how they were able to manage both.
Mariner and willison are already signed for a few years I believe. There'd be no benefit to us by promoting them now. With 3 spots I'm guessing it's hosking and potentially TMM to try give them a few more $ on a contract, then Walsh too

Active Now

• Santa
  • barker
  • Mr Fourex
  • mystico
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.