Melbourne Pedestrians Hit by Car

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
  • Staff
A young child is among three people who were killed when a car was deliberately driven into pedestrians near Bourke and Queen streets in Melbourne's CBD, police say.
Police said they shot the alleged driver, who was arrested with non-life threatening injuries.
At least 20 people were injured, some seriously, in the incident that police said was linked to an earlier stabbing in the city's south.
Three people are understood to be in a critical condition at the Alfred Hospital. Two others are in a serious condition.
Follow live coverage in the ABC News blog.
Six people were taken to St Vincent's Hospital, another six to Royal Melbourne and five have been taken to the Royal Children's Hospital.
The Royal Children's Hospital warned parents to avoid the hospital if their children had less urgent conditions.
PHOTO: The believed to have been driven through the busy Bourke St mall was severely damaged. (AAP: Julian Smith)
Acting Commander Stuart Bateson from Victoria Police said the believed the arrested man drove down the mall at about 1:30pm.
"We have the offender in custody. There is no further threat to the public at this stage," he said.
"We believe this male did some doughnuts at Flinders Street and Swanston Street, turned left into the Bourke Street Mall and deliberately drove into the crowd, continued along the footpath colliding with further pedestrians."
PHOTO: Several pedestrians were hit by the car in Melbourne's CBD during the lunchtime rush. (AAP: Luke Costin)
Man arrested linked to Windsor stabbing, police say

Earlier this morning, police were searching for a man believed to be involved in a stabbing at Windsor.
Police were called to Raleigh Street at 2:15am after receiving reports of two men fighting.

Emma Younger ✔@em_younger
At least four people being treated by paramedics at corner of Bourke and Queen streets. Major police operation underway in CBD @abcnewsMelb
2:05 PM - 20 Jan 2017
One of the men involved in the fight took himself to hospital with stab wounds and is in a serious condition.
Police were searching for the other man. They said the two men were related.
ABC Radio Melbourne's Raf Epstein said he understood the man had driven to Yarraville, in the city's west.
Police said the man later took a woman, who he knew, hostage in his car. She managed to escape as it was travelling over the Bolte Bridge.
Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said he saw the car try and turn down Collins Street from Swanston Street, but the driver was deterred by the bollards in place.
"To our absolute horror we watched him turn back onto the footpath on Swanston St at lunchtime on Friday and accelerated down Swanston," he said.
"It was just horrific, you think about how busy Swanston St is at any time of day, but lunchtime on a Friday.
"It's quite unreal. There's an air of unreality, but horror."
PHOTO: Police direct pedestrians as Bourke Street is shut down. (ABC News: Margaret Burin)
Mohammed Minhaz said he saw three people hit by the car when he was waiting at the corner of Bourke and Queen streets.
"I saw a red car coming from the sidewalk hitting people. He just was driving, he didn't stop for anyone. The people were flying," he said.​
Mr Minhaz said he saw the car drive up on the footpath then on pedestrian crossing.
"He hit one person on the footpath," he said.
PHOTO: A pram is seen knocked over and a man is stretchered by paramedics at the corner of William and Bourke streets. (ABC News: Margaret Burin)
People urged to avoid the city

Acting Commander Bateson said the incident was not terrorism related and asked people to avoid the city this afternoon and overnight.
"It is going to take us a really long time to process this scene. Our priority at the moment is with the injured, and it must be that we give them our attention," he said.
"We ask members of the public that perhaps witnessed the incident, if they've left the city, please log your details with Crime Stoppers."
PHOTO: Police are seen at the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke streets after a man drives a car into pedestrians.(ABC News: Margaret Burin)
Armed police wearing bullet-proof vests and helmets were seen moving through the area, along with uniformed and plain-clothed officers.
There were also a number of ambulances and paramedics dotted throughout the streets.
Witnesses report car driving 'recklessly'

One witness, Laura, said she saw a car being driven recklessly near Flinders Street Station.
"People were trying to stop this man who was driving around and around and he was half hanging outside the car," she said.​
Another witness said they saw a car doing a burnout before it drove onto the footpath.
PHOTO: Police have arrested a man after the pedestrians were hit. (AAP: Luke Costin)
One witness told Epstein dozens of police were onto the driver quickly.
"I was just down on the corner and I just heard two gunshots and I just thought it was one of those cars that makes a similar sound.
"Then I heard yelling and screaming and saw the special unit squad car and all of a sudden saw all the armed officers running towards the car, and by the time I got to the vehicle they were all on top of him already."
Toddler believed to be among injured

Former Victoria Police commissioner Christine Nixon saw the incident unfold.
She said one of the injured was a young child, who appeared to get thrown out of a pram.
"[The mother] she just kept asking me, "Where's the baby" and [I said] I] don't know," Ms Nixon said.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
  • Staff
This is so sad. Now, I know people get annoyed when others personalise this BUT consider this:

I worked in the building on the corner where this happened up until just ONE week ago before we moved THIS week. It was my usual lunchtime and I would have most likely been on that corner at THAT time had we not moved.

I was also in that exact street just 30 minutes before this happened today. Goodness me this one hits me close to home!

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
This is so unbelievably sad.

I saw some CCTV footage of the car travelling down the footpath... it was travelling terrifyingly quick.

I can't even begin to imagine the sheer panic and horror those in the car's path must have felt.

:(

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Absolute scumbag. I'm kind of thankful he was caught alive so he has to live his pathetic miserable life facing what he did.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
This shit doesn't happen in Australia. Absolutely disgusting. I was freaking out, I have family who word in the CBD and we hadn't heard from them. Turns out one works in the office building where the car was stopped and the child was said to have been killed. She'd only gone in from lunch about 5 - 10 minutes earlier.

I will never understand what goes through someone's head. Knowing our pussy justice system, he'll go away for a few years, feel no remorse, and be put in solitary to protect him. He doesn't need protecting, he needs the general population to know what he did. Killing innocents and children is frowned upon by even the hardest of criminals in those places.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Absolutely no agenda here, but clearly the nutcase was on something?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Absolutely no agenda here, but clearly the nutcase was on something?
Some witnesses are of the opinion that he was certainly on something or he just completely lost it. Lets be honest, he was probably loaded up with ice.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Some witnesses are of the opinion that he was certainly on something or he just completely lost it. Lets be honest, he was probably loaded up with ice.
I haven't seen or read much, I did see a brief autoplay video of a bogan in a burgundy (Commodore?) hanging out the window and driving in circles in defiance of the crowd that encircled him. Was that the guy? Yeah. He's on the fertiliser for sure.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I haven't seen or read much, I did see a brief autoplay video of a bogan in a burgundy (Commodore?) hanging out the window and driving in circles in defiance of the crowd that encircled him. Was that the guy? Yeah. He's on the fertiliser for sure.
That's him.

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
He was yelling shit about being followed by the government and how Armageddon is coming.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Go look at his FB page. The fact our "intelligence" service didn't have him on the radar is a little bit poor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter