Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Phil gould rbd77prjc83711h4s6ut551s5

Mal Meninga: Broncos should look to Phil Gould for coaching answers

June 6, 2018

STATE of Origin is not the only simmering rugby league rivalry being played out in Melbourne this week.

While tonight’s State of Origin game at the MCG is undoubtedly the main course, Sunday’s showdown between the Storm and Broncos – or more correctly, their two coaches – is a mouth-watering dessert.

The soap opera surrounding Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy and their respective coaching futures over the past few weeks has been fascinating to watch.

The Broncos want Bellamy as coach, but Bennett is not ready to ride off into the sunset just yet and is digging in his heels.

Both coaches were together at a lunch in Toowoomba last week, and it provided a pretty telling insight into where the situation sits.

Bennett has a contract, and says he will be Brisbane’s coach in 2019. His chief executive, Paul White, has guaranteed he has the job.

Brisbane are an honourable club, and White an honourable man.

It would go against the culture of the club and the CEO for Bennett to be shoved out the door after a personal guarantee from the boss that his job was safe.

I don’t think anyone at the Broncos would want to see Bennett treated with the disrespect of being pushed out after everything he has done for the club.

Bellamy for his part, says he has no interest in taking a year off waiting for Bennett’s contract to expire, and less interest in forcing the Broncos to sack Bennett so he can move in.

So where does that leave us? With Bennett as Broncos coach, and Bellamy re-signing to stay at the Storm.

As a football fan, I think this is the best result for both parties.

Both coaches are the personification of the clubs they have built, and I think shifting Bennett aside for Bellamy would tarnish the legacy of both men.

The remaining question is, with all of this jockeying for position between the two heavyweights, has Kevin Walters accidentally found himself in the box seat to be the next Broncos coach?

We now know that the Broncos are starting to look to the future and life after Bennett, so what is their best option with Bellamy out of the picture?

The answer is Phil Gould.

I will wait for Broncos fans to stop choking on their Cornflakes to explain.

I’m not suggesting Gus should be the next Broncos coach, but I do think that the system he has created at Penrith is where the Broncos need to be headed for their regeneration as a club after Bennett.

The idea of a coaching director or general manager of football sitting above the coach, like Gould does with Anthony Griffin at the Panthers, is the model I think all NRL clubs will eventually follow.

The Broncos have the perfect opportunity to get in front of the pack.

If Bennett wants a new deal at the club for 2020 and beyond, why not put him into a coaching director’s role where he can mentor Brisbane’s next coach, and ensure the standards and culture of the club – that he created – continue on?

Bennett could then be in charge of all football operations at the club – taking in things like development and player welfare – while the coach handles the on-field work, and the administration handles the business side.

All they need then is the right man to take the reins from Bennett. A coach with a track record of success, who understands the Broncos culture, but is not afraid to learn or take advice from the old master.

Kevin Walters, come on down.

Source: Courier Mail

Far out... if kevvie finally gets a head coaches role and has to answer to someone that’d be pretty annoying for him.

Gould stole the system they have at the Panthers from the Broncos

Righto meninga, pull the other finger.

I would love to have Gould at the club. One of the smartest minds in Rugby League.

Even if he just came to be a scout for young talent, that would be great and benefit us greatly.

But it would never eventuate.

You'd bring Gould to your club if you had problems bringing through juniors. We looked as if we had lost our way a couple of years ago but we seem to be back on the right track, so it begs the question what else would he bring that we don't have already?

I got nothing against Gould but I just don't see the need for him.

Maybe a few of you actually need to read the article. It's clickbait, it wasn't suggesting Gould come to the club.

Mal is out of the limelight now at this time of year so he needs to get himself back in it somehow.

I think some of you guys are missing the point. The article is basically about instilling Bennett as a coaching director as per below.

Which is basically what most people on here have been suggesting for the last year or so.....

I’m not suggesting Gus should be the next Broncos coach, but I do think that the system he has created at Penrith is where the Broncos need to be headed for their regeneration as a club after Bennett.

The idea of a coaching director or general manager of football sitting above the coach, like Gould does with Anthony Griffin at the Panthers, is the model I think all NRL clubs will eventually follow.

Maybe a few of you actually need to read the article. It's clickbait, it wasn't suggesting Gould come to the club.

Mal is out of the limelight now at this time of year so he needs to get himself back in it somehow.
Looking at the article it's almost as if he's trying to line himself up with a job after Aust duty. Specifically where he mentions that it is a model all clubs should eventually move to

He doesn't have the technical knowhow so why not line yourself up as a coaching director.... probably just put Hagan underneath him and you're golden haha

I would love to have Gould at the club. One of the smartest minds in Rugby League.

Even if he just came to be a scout for young talent, that would be great and benefit us greatly.

But it would never eventuate.

I reckon he used to be, guys definitely declining at a rapid rate now though. I think a lot of his media work has dulled his nouse.

Mal is spot on and a few folks need to read properly into what is being inferred. It is the best of all world. Wayne can do what Wayne does best which is manage players. He is fantastic at that. Bellamy can be the head coach and the Broncos will reap the reward of great game plans, star signings, less players playing on reputation and more playing on current performance. End result is winning. Million dollar question is will ego's allow this?

Thanks to super freak for sharing but that article and thread is just utter shit.

Thanks to super freak for sharing but that article and thread is just utter shit.

Mal is spot on and a few folks need to read properly into what is being inferred. It is the best of all world. Wayne can do what Wayne does best which is manage players. He is fantastic at that. Bellamy can be the head coach and the Broncos will reap the reward of great game plans, star signings, less players playing on reputation and more playing on current performance. End result is winning. Million dollar question is will ego's allow this?

If Wayne is going to be coaching director, it won't be with Bellamy as head coach.

If Wayne is going to be coaching director, it won't be with Bellamy as head coach.

Hence my question and thought pertaining to the massive egos. Pity because it would elevate the club to an even greater stature.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.