OFFICIAL Merrin to Penrith

Re: [RUMOUR] Merrin to Broncos

I don't want the bloke at all but he is closer to a walk up start than you think I would imagine. If Gallen goes down, he comes in at lock. Plus how long has Gallen got left?

$400k for Merrin is a bargain. Not many forwards have the offloading ability and good foot work like Trent Merrin.

Agreed. 600k is overs.

I think we have McG on 450k, and I'd say either offers similar on field value, despite differing skill sets. In principle, I'd be happy if we secured Merrin for a similar amount.

I don't think we need him but he's a proven commodity over Garbutt or Gavet. Honestly, I'd probably rate him over Gillett, purely due to consistency.

Last edited:

If he comes, one of our second rowers is leaving
If we get him for 400k it would be a steal but I don't want to be paying him much more than that. His price tag he put on himself at the dragons made him out to be a walk on start on the rep arenas which he is not and is a long way from too I might add

He isn't a long way off by any means

I'd take him in a second. Obviously not if it was going to be for a million dollars a season, but seeing as we'll never actually know how much he's being paid (If you've ever actually done a running tally of the "believed to be" salaries RL journalists throw out there every team is cheating the cap) I'll just trust Bennett not to break the bank.

If we sign him surely we will lose one of our second rowers. Not only that but what would it mean for Oates, unless he's planning on being a winger full time except for the origin period.

I'd happily take Merrin. I'd happily take his girlfriend too.

823859-b33d28ee-eb95-11e3-b974-1cd7c57eb88c.jpg

I'd call this kicking a goal personally.

I'm against the Merrin signing, but I would take him if she joined the cheer squad. It would give me something to get excited about before the game..

What would everyone's team look like for 2016 if we manage to land Merrin & Gagai?

1) Darius Boyd
2) Jordan Kahu
3) Dale Copley
4) Justin Hodges (c)
5) Dane Gagai
6) Anthony Milford
7) Ben Hunt
8) Josh McGuire
9) Andrew McCullough
10) Adam Blair
11) Alex Glenn
12) Matt Gillett
13) Corey Parker (vc)

14) Jayden Nikorima
15) Trent Merrin
16) James Gavet
17) Corey Oates

Step 1 ~ Don't re-sign Sam Thaiday, David Stagg or Todd Lowrie for the 2016 season
Step 2 ~ Parker & Hodges retire after 2016 season
Step 3 ~ 2017 - Merrin at Lock, Gagai at Right Centre
Step 4 ~ Win Premiership

Premierships

I'm against the Merrin signing, but I would take him if she joined the cheer squad. It would give me something to get excited about before the game..

I sit in amongst the families at the game so if she was just in the crowd with me i would be happy:rock:

She looks great but when she speaks I can't stand her. Go make me a sandwich

What would everyone's team look like for 2016 if we manage to land Merrin & Gagai?

1) Darius Boyd
2) Jordan Kahu
3) Dale Copley
4) Justin Hodges (c)
5) Dane Gagai
6) Anthony Milford
7) Ben Hunt
8) Josh McGuire
9) Andrew McCullough
10) Adam Blair
11) Alex Glenn
12) Matt Gillett
13) Corey Parker (vc)

14) Jayden Nikorima
15) Trent Merrin
16) James Gavet
17) Corey Oates

Step 1 ~ Don't re-sign Sam Thaiday, David Stagg or Todd Lowrie for the 2016 season
Step 2 ~ Parker & Hodges retire after 2016 season
Step 3 ~ 2017 - Merrin at Lock, Gagai at Right Centre
Step 4 ~ Win Premiership

If we sign gagai its not to play wing.

If we sign gagai its not to play wing.

If you read what I said, it's only for one season.

He isn't better than Hodges or Copley at this stage, so I don't see why he wouldn't be on the wing until Hodges retires.

He isn't better than Hodges or Copley at this stage, so I don't see why he wouldn't be on the wing until Hodges retires.

I wouldn't necessarily say he isn't better than copley, It think they are both different centres but not much between them. Copley is more of a hit running/brute strength centre, where gagai has a bit of playmaking and maybe speed? Reminds me a lot of a young Hodgo.

In either case, if we sign Gagai for next year and Hodgo is still here I imagine it Gagai would be on the wing for that year, if for nothing else I think he would do better on the wing than Copley.

I'd happily trade Thaiday and hand over some cash for Merrin.

Hell, through in Stagg and Lowrie for free.

I read what you wrote. He is far better than copley imo. Copley's defense was found wanting a lot last year, he gives his opposite too much space and slides with them instead of coming in. I know gagai has his defensive issues btu they arent as bad as copley's and his attack is better than copley's imo.

Copley has shown decent glimpses, but everytime he was given the chance to cement the centre position last year, he came up short

I honestly think Copley would struggle to make the 17 at most clubs whereas gagai could easily compete for a spot in the centres

Last edited:

I read what you wrote. He is far better than copley imo. Copley's defense was found wanting a lot last year, he gives his opposite too much space and slides with them instead of coming in. I know gagai has his defensive issues btu they arent as bad as copley's and his attack is better than copley's imo.

Copley has shown decent glimpses, but everytime he was given the chance to cement the centre position last year, he came up short

I honestly think Copley would struggle to make the 17 at most clubs whereas gagai could easily compete for a spot in the centres
You just said about Copley and Gagai the opposite I would say.

Gagai and defense is an oxymoron if I ever saw one! :laugh:

You just said about Copley and Gagai the opposite I would say.

Gagai and defense is an oxymoron if I ever saw one! :laugh:

Copley is overrated on this forum. He has had a few really good games at centre, but a lot of very mediocre ones. I dont know how we can say hes better than Gagai when he cant even prove hes better than Reed! I daresay if we signed any of the Knights centres they would walk in to our team. Copley would be languishing in reserve grade at the knights.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • mitch222
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Fitzy
  • Midean
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • Hurrijo
  • Fozz
  • Spoon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.