Michael Clarke Appointed Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

langer77

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2010
Cricket Australia (CA) has appointed Michael Clarke as Australian Test and one-day captain following Ricky Ponting's decision to stand down.
All-rounder Shane Watson is the new Test and one-day vice-captain. Cameron White will continue as national Twenty20 captain, with Watson as his deputy.
CA Chairman Jack Clarke said Michael Clarke had proven to be an excellent captain on numerous occasions when standing in for Ponting, including during Australia's recent 6-1 Commonwealth Bank Series win against England.
"Michael has shown himself to be excellent with his on field tactics when heading the national side," Mr Clarke said.
"To captain your country is a great honour and responsibility and I congratulate Michael and wish him the best in what will be an exciting and challenging time."
Australia’s 43rd Test captain, Clarke said he was looking forward to the honour and the opportunity.
“It is a great honour to be appointed captain of Australia but at the same time, a great surprise as I wasn't expecting Ricky Ponting to stand down,” Clarke said.
“I have always respected those who have come before me in this role and humbled to think of my name being mentioned alongside theirs.
“I am grateful to Ricky Ponting for what I have learned from him, to the selectors and Cricket Australia for this opportunity, and am looking forward to the challenges ahead.” he said.
Watson said he was looking forward to the added responsibility and working closely with Clarke, and White in Twenty20.
“Playing cricket for Australia has been a great honour for me and to now be appointed vice-captain is really exciting,” the 29-year-old all-rounder said.
“I look forward to doing what I can to help and support Michael Clarke in the Test and ODI teams, and Cameron White with the Twenty20 group.
“There are challenges ahead but also opportunity and I look forward to being part of the leadership group as we work together to grasp that opportunity,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Fozz
  • upthebroncs
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Mr Fourex
  • teampjta
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.