NEWS Milford and Bird being shopped around

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Speculation gathers that the Broncos - despite denials - are trying to offload Milford and Bird, who along with exiting Boyd and Fifita, would otherwise account for more than an estimated $3.5 million. The rumour currently being spread by Chris Garry is the club might be willing to pay up to $1.3 million to ditch them. Garry told the Broncos Weekly fan podcast they could be forced to pay up to $700,000 of Bird’s reported $975,000 deal for 2021 and up to $600,000 of Milford’s $1 million extension after both players announced their decision to exercise the one-year extensions in their favour earlier this year:

“They’ll deny it, but I don’t doubt for a second that the Broncos would be happy to offload Anthony Milford if they could. My money is on Jack Bird and Milford not being at the Broncos next year.”

"Milford’s move to fullback failed spectacularly in last week’s loss to Melbourne and he is also in doubt for Friday’s clash with Cronulla after suffering a hamstring injury. Jack Bird’s been a disaster for all sorts of different reasons, mainly just bad luck, but he did also come to the club injured. I think he wants to go to Sydney next year and the Broncos will make it work, but, gee they are going to have to pay a lot of that wage next year.”

Reports earlier this month that Fifita had backflipped on the Titans and told the Broncos he wanted to stay suggests Fifita lost faith in the Broncos as a result of the story leaking to the media:

“I know David was upset about whoever leaked that info. He was really frustrated that that stuff got out. Because it did make him look like an idiot and I understand that. I do know that frustrated him and I think that was the start of the end.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Speculation gathers that the Broncos - despite denials - are trying to offload Milford and Bird, who along with exiting Boyd and Fifita, would otherwise account for more than an estimated $3.5 million. The rumour currently being spread by Chris Garry is the club might be willing to pay up to $1.3 million to ditch them. Garry told the Broncos Weekly fan podcast they could be forced to pay up to $700,000 of Bird’s reported $975,000 deal for 2021 and up to $600,000 of Milford’s $1 million extension after both players announced their decision to exercise the one-year extensions in their favour earlier this year:

“They’ll deny it, but I don’t doubt for a second that the Broncos would be happy to offload Anthony Milford if they could. My money is on Jack Bird and Milford not being at the Broncos next year.”

"Milford’s move to fullback failed spectacularly in last week’s loss to Melbourne and he is also in doubt for Friday’s clash with Cronulla after suffering a hamstring injury. Jack Bird’s been a disaster for all sorts of different reasons, mainly just bad luck, but he did also come to the club injured. I think he wants to go to Sydney next year and the Broncos will make it work, but, gee they are going to have to pay a lot of that wage next year.”

Reports earlier this month that Fifita had backflipped on the Titans and told the Broncos he wanted to stay suggests Fifita lost faith in the Broncos as a result of the story leaking to the media:

“I know David was upset about whoever leaked that info. He was really frustrated that that stuff got out. Because it did make him look like an idiot and I understand that. I do know that frustrated him and I think that was the start of the end.”

McHunt
Milf to storm, Harry Grant to us. Bird to Dogs, Tolman to us.

paying 700K for Bird to play elsewhere, **** that. Would be worth more to us to just keep him in the 30 - injured or not. Stuff paying for another club to have an almost million dollar man on their books for peanuts.

paying 700K for Bird to play elsewhere, **** that. Would be worth more to us to just keep him in the 30 - injured or not. Stuff paying for another club to have an almost million dollar man on their books for peanuts.
Agreed.

I actually hope he stays with us and plays in the centres.

After the Fifita debacle we will still have plenty of money to go shopping.

If we retain 30% of their contract then fine but get fucked that those other numbers it’s pointless.

If we had kept Fifita then that 30% might be worth considering because it could have been the difference to keeping Deardon or Herbie.

That just shows you how stupid our club is at the moment. You can see why no one will come to the club unless we pay overs. We are becoming the Titans

Comes down, at least in Birds case, to how badly does he want to stay..?

Apparently the urge to return down South is the prime motivator.

So, if hes not fully invested in the hard work required by everyone to turn this club aorund then....probabaly best he does go...

But if that occurs, we should be driving as hard a bargin as possible to get his next team to take on as much of that salary as possible...

Last edited:
Bird would be a massive risk to anyone else. We would have subsidise so much of his salary that it would be pointless. He should just try and have a decent season next year with us and if he does he will get some interest to go back to Sydney which is what he eventually wants to do. He really owes us at least one good season.
As for milford that is a lot harder unlike bird his issues are mental not physical apart from not being fit. Again another huge subsidy needed which would make the exercise dubious at best.

it depends on who the club has an eye on for next year, if it's going to strengthen the roster to get 400k on the books to go after someone for next year it might be worth contributing 500k for Bird to play at the dogs.

However, some players have a funny knack of performing well when they are off contract. Or it could turn into a distraction for them & the club to have them looking elsewhere while expected to be performing here.

Keep em both, pointless to shop them now.
Unless we are getting someone well worth it, but I don't think we are.

well...in terms of whats possible, RCG is playing for Parramatta this year with Panthers paying 50% of his wages....!

No wonder they could afford to chase Matterson....!

So, never say never....

Keep Bird, pay 50% of Milfs. We need a solid center. Bird can fit in anywhere, where as Milfords spots on the team are just about exhausted.

Keep Bird, pay 50% of Milfs. We need a solid center. Bird can fit in anywhere, where as Milfords spots on the team are just about exhausted.

yeh...for all involved a clean break is for the best for Milf...and the club

Last edited:
He’ll be back winning player of the year awards at 6 under our new coach.

Those number seem implausible ... no way does anyone pay ~70% of a $975k contract.

Bird either finds himself a decent deal for $600-$700k or he should be staying in Brisbane.

All the risk is with Bird... if he is looking for us to subsidise a massively reduced contract so he can head to fucking roosters or some shit, you tell him to **** off and his manager to pull his fucking finger out or he'll be playing out the year in ISC.

He either finds himself a new deal that is palatable to the Broncos or he plays out the year with the Broncos and has zero security for 2022 onwards.

There is absolutely no positive for the broncos to release Bird for cheap just because he wants to go to a certain team... we aren't looking to trade or player swap... we want cap space and he's in his last year!!

Active Now

• Aldo
  • broncotville
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
  • Fatboy
  • HarryAllan7
  • KateBroncos1812
  • levikaden
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.