Milford eyes World Cup berth

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Milford is refusing to give up hope of playing at this year’s World Cup after the Broncos pivot cleared the first hurdle in his return from a serious shoulder injury.

Sidelined for the past five weeks, Milford showed no shortage of confidence in his dislocated shoulder in Brisbane’s 34-22 defeat of Newcastle on Saturday.

Milford eventually requires surgery and Broncos medicos are taking every precaution, strapping him up so tightly against the Knights the five-eighth could barely raise his left arm.

The Queensland Origin player faces a four-to-six-month recovery once he has surgery.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett would be reluctant for Milford to play at the World Cup in October as a delayed operation would leave him in danger of missing the start of next year’s premiership.

Australia coach Mal Meninga has Milford on his selection radar and while he will adhere to Brisbane’s medical advice, the Broncos ace is keen to soldier on in pursuit of a maiden green-and-gold jumper.

“I want to play in the World Cup,” said Milford, who is also eligible for tier-two nation Samoa if he misses Australian selection.

“Whether I can (be available for the World Cup) or not is up to the club, it’s what is in the best interests of the club.

“I will put the club first, but if the shoulder pulls up good after our last game, then hopefully I can be available for selection.”

Bennett rates Milford a “50-50” chance of seeing out the rest of the NRL season, but the No.6 is growing in confidence after the 80-minute hit-out against the Knights.

“I didn’t feel it once,’’ he said of his shoulder.

‘‘The physios put it in a position where I can’t extend my arm enough to make it hurt, so the arm is strapped up pretty tight. It does restrict me, I can barely lift my arm.

“I’m on to Andrew McCullough (Broncos hooker) and Benny Hunt (halfback) to give me good balls, otherwise I can’t catch them.

“Anything over the top of my head I can’t catch.

Milford was required to make six tackles against the Knights but said he had no concerns about being targeted as he prepared to face the Bulldogs pack on Thursday night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y/news-story/a67025b09b0aaf9c095c9d38e0783685

What? We let him play on the field when he can't catch a ball over his head? Not sure if I'm impressed or dissapointed. Oh wells

Nope. He can play for Samoa all he likes.

“Whether I can (be available for the World Cup) or not is up to the club, it’s what is in the best interests of the club.

Sorry Anthony......forget about the world cup.

You're having your shoulder surgery immediately after the regular season finishes, so that you'll be ready for the off season and the start of the 2018 season.

I'm starting to get sick of milf putting the onus back onto the club to make all his decisions Samoa last year, origin this year and now the world cup.

He's now the highest paid player at the club and will be vitally important with Hunt moving on next year and yet he's happy to risk the start of next year's season so he can potentially ride the pine in the world cup.

Staring down the barrel of a 4-6 month recovery and he wants to wait till November to have the surgery... it would all but rule himself out of preseason (where he'll need to learn a new role) the start of the broncos season and origin.

Show some fucking respect for your team mates and pull yourself out of the world cup.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Financeguy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Ffs...
  • Stix
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.