NEWS Milford: fit as ever, raring to go

He was told; strategy post Eels game was to be seen to be doing things. Decisions were made very quickly and local media were informed so that the Croft situation/photos were seen and change was seen to be being made.

Seibold said last week he informed Boyd in September.
Exactly. It's all about message and positioning.

I genuinely feel as though he has this team sorted out now.

Guess the NRL community are not taking Seibold seriously
Screenshot 20200130 102113 Twitter

Exactly. It's all about message and positioning.

I genuinely feel as though he has this team sorted out now.
Why? I mean I'm hopeful that things will go better this year but why would a couple of acknowledged media stunts and a positioning strategy make you feel like he has the team sorted now?

For virtually identical reasons, I actually think Jack Bird's days here are numbered too almost regardless of how this season pans out.
You're talking about his hair obviously. We saw how that worked out for James Roberts. Hopefully, our hero will fix him up with his barber.

Images

I think it's a tricky situation we find ourselves in with Milford.

On balance, he hasn't proven to be great value over the course of his most recent deal. Logically speaking, he probably deserves a lower offer for his next deal more in line with his performances and his standards.

That said, it's almost a given that Milford will be expecting at bare minimum the same money and more realistically, his agent will be encouraging him to ask for more money.

This leaves us in a precarious position going into this year becasuse:

A) He has another mediocre or even poor season, and we probably don't retain him

B) He has a great season, and we're in the difficult position of probably having to outbid other clubs to keep him, as he's definitely the kind of player other clubs will be sniffing around for, despite the fact that we've realistically been overpaying him for the last few seasons.

Either way, I think it's reasonably unlikely that Milford will remain a Bronco. If he plays poorly, we probably don't offer him another deal, or we offer a reduced one that other clubs can easily beat. Alternatively, he has a great season and suddenly he's a hot commodity again and we can't afford to keep him.

Maybe that's a pessimistic way to look at it, but I think Milford's time here is very likely numbered.

For virtually identical reasons, I actually think Jack Bird's days here are numbered too almost regardless of how this season pans out.
I think it's reasonably likely that Bird moves on... he's got an option for next year, but if he can guarantee himself a new 4 year deal he'll take it. Realistically options from Sydney teams and Newcastle are all open to him and we also have back ups to replace him with Staggs already able and Coates seen as a young guy with potential.

For Milf it may be a little different. I think regardless of how he plays this year we may offer him a similar deal to what he's on and play it similarly to how roosters did the Latrell contract.

If he doesnt like the deal he can test his value on the market and see if he really can get more elsewhere or if the Sydney teams run off hiding into the dark like they did for Latrell.

If he does get reasonable offers elsewhere it then comes down to whether Milf is happy to uproot his life and move on (unless Titans find a spare $1m in cap) or take a little less to remain in Brisbane.

If Croft has a good year then we have him and Dearden takes Milf's spot in the halves... so we have a little more flexibility compared to Milf's last contract

I think it's reasonably likely that Bird moves on... he's got an option for next year, but if he can guarantee himself a new 4 year deal he'll take it. Realistically options from Sydney teams and Newcastle are all open to him and we also have back ups to replace him with Staggs already able and Coates seen as a young guy with potential.

For Milf it may be a little different. I think regardless of how he plays this year we may offer him a similar deal to what he's on and play it similarly to how roosters did the Latrell contract.

If he doesnt like the deal he can test his value on the market and see if he really can get more elsewhere or if the Sydney teams run off hiding into the dark like they did for Latrell.

If he does get reasonable offers elsewhere it then comes down to whether Milf is happy to uproot his life and move on (unless Titans find a spare $1m in cap) or take a little less to remain in Brisbane.

If Croft has a good year then we have him and Dearden takes Milf's spot in the halves... so we have a little more flexibility compared to Milf's last contract
I just wouldn't like to see us offer more than what he's currently on, and even that would only be contingent on him having a really strong season in 2020.

That said, I think it's highly likely with proven Halves becoming an increasingly rare commodity that someone like the Tigers might be prepared to have a crack at him for 1 million bucks a year or more. I think if that proved to be true, there is a fair chance Milford will leave us.

I just wouldn't like to see us offer more than what he's currently on, and even that would only be contingent on him having a really strong season in 2020.

That said, I think it's highly likely with proven Halves becoming an increasingly rare commodity that someone like the Tigers might be prepared to have a crack at him for 1 million bucks a year or more. I think if that proved to be true, there is a fair chance Milford will leave us.
Pretty sure we'll see Ponga in a Broncos jersey by 2022. Be interesting to see if he returns to the halves.

I don't want to lose Milf. He wasn't great last year but he was good in 2018. I think he even won our players award. That shoulder reco at the start of last year was not great for him. Also with Croft here he can get back to his natural game. In my view he will back to his best. I think we will end up keeping him on similar money.

Last edited:
I don't want to lose Milf. He wasn't great last year but he was good in 2018. I think he even won our players award. That shoulder reco at the start of last year was not great for him. Also with Croft here he can get back to his natural game. In my view he will back to his best. I think we will end up keeping him on similar money.

I feel the same way. As far as I see it depends on the forward pack WANTING to lay the platform for our halves. Not star (that will come), but get in there and pull their sleeves up and make the yards required for someone like MILF to shine. He needs room, and with a dented defence line, he can potentially wreak havoc. We've seen him do it.

One thing I don't think Milf gets credit for is that he is more astute at game management than people might give him credit for. He often had a similar look over the past couple of years that I remember Lockyer having at times - frustration (in his fellow players). I think he ,and the whole team suffered last year for the fact that it was quite a young team with a LOT of disruptions. No-one knew if they were Arthur or Martha at any given time. Hopefully they've grown and this year they do what is needed for everyone to shine.

I think Milford is like a lot of players. His career really depends on this year's results. If the broncos finish top 4 and go deep into the finals, the management will try and keep the bulk of the team together.
If they finish outside the top 4, there will be a major restructuring with players, coaches and officials all having their heads on the block.
Milford will definitely be one of those casualties (but far from alone) then.

I'm very hopeful that we start the season with Croft and Milford in the halves. I dont know a great deal about Croft but from what I think I do know, he could be a great foil for Milf.

Deardon in my mind, is surely only backup if either get injured.....

I think you’re under-selling how much Milford wants to be with his family in Brisbane...

Yes we paid him a fortune, but I don’t think he’ll be leaving SEQ again for rugby league, which means he won’t be choosing to leave us, unless the Titans make a big play at him and that I don’t see happening within 12 months, given their cap problems and history of over-paid ex-Bronco halves...

It would be a huge call for either the Club or for Milford if he were to move on.

Pretty sure we'll see Ponga in a Broncos jersey by 2022. Be interesting to see if he returns to the halves.
I think that's the ideal long term signing for Brisbane a number of reasons both on and off field. Unless something is majorly wrong, we almost certainly should be having a shot at him when he's off contract. In fact, we should probably be looking to discretely sound out any potential interest pretty soon if we are hoping to line up a deal and TPA support to bring him here after his current deal.

That said, I don't see any real need to move him to 5/8 unless he's already demonstrating between now and then that he's better there than at Fullback. I'd hate to see us outlay what will no doubt be a huge sum of money to bring him here, only to have to spend a portion of that time working on moving him to a new role and getting him settled there.

Realistically he's been plenty potent enough at Fullback for the Knights and the modern game has probably placed a greater emphasis on Fullback's and Dummy Halves than the 5/8 role, so I have no issue with him staying at Fullback if that is where he can do his best work.

Last edited:
I think that's the ideal long term signing for Brisbane a number of reasons both on and off field. Unless something is majorly wrong, we almost certainly should be having a shot at him when he's off contract. In fact, we should probably be looking to discretely sound out any potential interest pretty soon if we are hoping to line up a deal and TPA support to bring him here after his current deal.
That's already the rumour.

I think you’re under-selling how much Milford wants to be with his family in Brisbane...

Yes we paid him a fortune, but I don’t think he’ll be leaving SEQ again for rugby league, which means he won’t be choosing to leave us, unless the Titans make a big play at him and that I don’t see happening within 12 months, given their cap problems and history of over-paid ex-Bronco halves...
Realistically though, family and a familiar, high quality environment are all we can really offer. It's almost certain we won't or shouldn't be the highest bidder. I'm not writing him staying off completely, just saying I do think we'll have our work cut out to retain him if we choose to do it as he's going to be precariously positioned for us to make a call on almost regardless of how he performs this season.

Last edited:

Active Now

• mitch222
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • thenry
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • lynx000
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • theshed
  • Skathen
  • mrslong
  • BroncosAlways
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.