Milford's chance to stake Maroons claim

cf58530a6761225c136bf07d2d883db8_you-may-be-cool-bruce-lee-youll-never-be-as-cool-as-meme_459-638.jpeg

Norman just went down injured in Parra's game today.

Milf's chances of playing Origin just improved considerably

Norman just went down injured in Parra's game today.

Milf's chances of playing Origin just improved considerably
MCL, Between 2-8 weeks which is a broad scope. Closer to 2 weeks though

Milford has no chance at Origin after yesterday's effort.

Which is great for us, because he'll play like a superstar for the six weeks.
I actually thought he was good last night in the 2nd half. Kicking game was good and 4 offloads and a try

MCL's are typically in the 4-6 weeks same thing widdop got a few weeks ago. Unless it's only very minor

From Fox Sports
QUEENSLAND PLANNING FOR LIFE AFTER JT
Kevin Walters admits he’s starting to plan for life after Johnathan Thurston in the Origin arena.
The champion Queenslander has proclaimed the 2017 series will be his last in the Maroon jersey and Walters is working behind the scenes to ensure they aren’t left in the lurch the following season.

With succession planning a focal point of his job, Walters is confident they have the talent to cover for the halfback next year and told Private Ryan he will invite a handful of promising halves into camp to learn from Thurston during the 2017 series.
“We’ve known for the past couple of years, they’re getting a bit older,” Walters said of his ageing stars.

“We’re pretty fortunate with the talent pool that’s sitting underneath Cooper (Cronk) and Johnathan with Michael Morgan coming off the bench.
“Then you have guys like Cherry-Evans who has played Origin in the halves, (Ben) Hunt, (Anthony) Milford, (Cameron) Munster, (Moses) Mbye — we’ve got some good young players in those positions to come through.
“They’ve got to put their hand up. They’ve all got the ability and talent but they need to make us pick them.”
And it’s not just halves Walters will bring into camp.
The invitation will extend to players he believes are likely to make their Origin debut in 2018.
They’ll be brought into camp during their bye rounds.

Brisbane great Justin Hodges pointed to how the Maroons brought Dane Gagai and Will Chambers into the mix as his career was coming to an end.
Hodges revealed there were times in the final year of his Origin journey where he would drop out of the training session and let the men next in line get a taste.
“There’s no secrets,” Hodges explained.

“We let players have a run. I’ve stepped out and let them have a turn while we do left on right (work) during the opposed session so they can get a feel for what it’s like running off players.
“That’s something you have to be mindful of. You have to let guys come in and get comfortable. It’s always good to give them a chance to train with the guys.
“We always invite the boys in and train.”

That article there is good at pointing out that Munster is actually worth a look in IMO. He is so versatile and young.

Mbye appears to be a byproduct of modern day talent identification and development.

The majority of young halves nowadays appear to be runners first with passing an after thought after being brought up on a steady diet of Benji Marshall stepping and flick passes and the media, commentary and YouTube glorification that comes with it

The flashy plays are being noticed at youth competitions while the toilers and game managers are left behind.

It is to the point where a player like Frawley could potentially attract a lot of interest for the simple fact that he can get a team around the field and has a kicking game.

A team full of athletically gifted running players still needs a captain to steer the ship. Just need to look at New Zealand who have all the talent in the world on paper but lack the game managing halfback to get them where they need to be

Mbye lol, he's awfully overrated. I haven't watch a lot of Bulldogs game, but I've watched at least 3 this season, and Mbye does absolutely nothing worthwhile. Frawley is the better player.
Yeah, Mbye is awful. Shit at hooker, shit at halves, honestly have no idea what he brings. Frawley and Reynolds would've been fine, Hodko and Reynolds would've been fine but they were so hellbent on fitting Mbye into the picture...

That article there is good at pointing out that Munster is actually worth a look in IMO. He is so versatile and young.

**** the judas ****. He hasn't got many friends at rep level coming through with his actions last year

Mbye appears to be a byproduct of modern day talent identification and development.

The majority of young halves nowadays appear to be runners first with passing an after thought after being brought up on a steady diet of Benji Marshall stepping and flick passes and the media, commentary and YouTube glorification that comes with it

The flashy plays are being noticed at youth competitions while the toilers and game managers are left behind.

It is to the point where a player like Frawley could potentially attract a lot of interest for the simple fact that he can get a team around the field and has a kicking game.

A team full of athletically gifted running players still needs a captain to steer the ship. Just need to look at New Zealand who have all the talent in the world on paper but lack the game managing halfback to get them where they need to be

This makes sense. Also, because the U20's doesn't have much of a focus on defence, it is easier to get through opposition defensive lines. It doesn't need a game manager to direct the play, tire out the opposition forwards or work a certain side over in order to draw defenders in and leave the opposite side short. You just have to hold the ball for longer, and you'll win.

Mbye lol, he's awfully overrated. I haven't watch a lot of Bulldogs game, but I've watched at least 3 this season, and Mbye does absolutely nothing worthwhile. Frawley is the better player.

There's always those names that get thrown around at Origin time that would only ever get a shot if about 5 players went down leading into Origin.

Anthony Milford more concerned with Brisbane surviving the Origin period than a Maroons debut

ANTHONY Milford says he is more concerned about Brisbane’s chances of surviving the Origin period than making his Queensland debut.

The Broncos playmaker is one of a few contenders who could replace Maroons veteran Johnathan Thurston for Origin I later this month, should he fail to recover from a shoulder injury.

Milford was solid in his first major audition for the role on Saturday night against the Sea Eagles and will have another chance to impress in Friday’s clash with the Tigers.

But the young talent claims he is not focused on making the Queensland team, but more on getting the Broncos through the Origin period.

It is a notoriously tough time for Brisbane and their performances during that time last year cost them a spot in the top four after they lost seven of their nine games between Rounds 11 and 21.

Milford does not want a repeat of this in 2017.

“It was pretty tough for us last year,” Milford said.

“We were one win away from being in the top four because of (Origin). It’s massive.

It’s very important for us to get through it to set us up for the back end of the year.

“One of my main goals this year was to be consistent in my football. As the weeks go on, I think I’m getting better and the confidence in the team is pretty good and pretty high.

“We just need to be strong when the boys go away for that Origin period.”

Brisbane are guaranteed to lose a number of big names again this year, with Sam Thaiday, Matt Gillett, Josh McGuire and Darius Boyd all to be selected for Queensland.

Corey Oates is also a chance of being recalled for the Maroons, as he battles it out with Australian winger Valentine Holmes for a starting spot, while selectors have said Milford is still in the frame.

After coming up against fellow halves contender Daly Cherry-Evans on Saturday, Milford said he was unsure whether he had done enough to impress the Queensland selectors.

“It’s up to the selectors,” he said.

“Whether they pick me or not is totally in their hands. The only thing I can control is my performance.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a4fce3d924ba8a45d6bd030ee9fe2968

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Maroon4life
  • Fitzy
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Jedhead
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.