Milford's Samoa dilemma: 'Broncos pay bills'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ANTHONY Milford will be selected for Samoa but the Brisbane five-eighth claims “the Broncos pay the bills” and he is no certainty play.

Milford was the centre of a representative storm last year after withdrawing from the Pacific Test against Tonga.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett took a bullet for Milford, blocking him from playing in the one-off Test.

However, Milford was reluctant to play given he had fears over his chances of representing Queensland and Australia if he committed to Samoa.

International eligibility laws have since changed.

Milford can play for Samoa, a tier-two nation, on May 6 against Bennett’s England side and still qualify for Queensland and Australia this year.

But that doesn’t mean he will wear a Samoa jersey for the first time since the 2013 World Cup next Saturday.

Milford, who has rarely missed matches throughout a 103-game NRL career, said he would assess his fitness after Thursday’s Suncorp Stadium clash against Penrith before committing to the Test.

“I want to put my hand up to play for Samoa but the Broncos are the ones that pay the bills,” Milford said.

“If the body is good, I don’t see why I couldn’t play for Samoa.

“It’s a long season. The last thing I want is to be injured in those games.

“I just need to be healthy and be the best I can to put myself in a position to be available for that week.”

Samoa coach Matt Parish has had numerous conversations with Milford about his availability and said the 22-year-old would be named in his side.

“I intend to pick the best possible team for Samoa,” Parish said.

“My understanding is he is available so he’ll be in it. I know he wants to play.”

Parish has quietly assembled a team capable of challenging England.

Broncos lock Josh McGuire is set to be named in the side if he misses selection for Mal Meninga’s Kangaroos team to play New Zealand next Friday.

McGuire last represented Samoa in 2015 and will still be available to play for Queensland in the State of Origin series.

Samoa will also field Joey Leilua, Junior Paulo, Sam Kasiano and Sione Mata’utia.

SAMOA v ENGLAND

May 6 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium

TV
: Live on Fox Sports

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/a3fd9deff72e39d6138ddd6520e847b3

You watch the media try to blame Bennett if he skips the match despite all the quotes from Milf about it being his choice.

Let him play. At least to make up for last year

Bennett is letting him play. But it's up to Milford.

I might be selfish but I don't really want him playing. We are already down our first choice halfback so god forgive we lost our first choice 5/8 for an extended period of time due to injury

We've already tempted the football gods with the McGuire and the snake in the shower fiasco, please don't tempt them again by him playing for Samoa!

Those islander test matches are brutal. I would hate to see milf get injured.

I love to see him play and tear Bennett's poms up all over the field. Oh of cause come out uninjured

Pointless match. Just trying to make league look like it has some international credibility. Stay at home mate, Broncos are far more important.

I'm actually all for Milf to play for Samoa, to encourage other players to follow him and play for our second tier countries. Also to get his experience of rep footy up and even his confidence.

I'm actually all for Milf to play for Samoa, to encourage other players to follow him and play for our second tier countries. Also to get his experience of rep footy up and even his confidence.

Agreed. I like international football and if Milford is selected he should play for Samoa.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about Milf's contract situation. I would've thought since Hunt is already out of here that we would be moving heaven and earth to shore him up, so....Why are we waiting? Is Ayoub milking us for all we're worth? I would happily offload at least 4 reserve players just to hang on to him. It'll leave us short changed in the top 25, but we just can't let a player of Milf's quality walk out. I would be shattered.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about Milf's contract situation. I would've thought since Hunt is already out of here that we would be moving heaven and earth to shore him up, so....Why are we waiting? Is Ayoub milking us for all we're worth? I would happily offload at least 4 reserve players just to hang on to him. It'll leave us short changed in the top 25, but we just can't let a player of Milf's quality walk out. I would be shattered.

He isn't going anywhere
Third party deals are the hold up at the moment

There's no way we lose him. Even after the Bird signing he was always our number one priority. TPAs may be the hold up but he's going nowhere.

Milford at Broncos for lyfe.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Galah
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Foordy
  • jd87
  • Organix
  • Dash
  • RolledOates
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.