Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
DE p1eKUQAEt 5v large

Brisbane centre Tautau Moga doesn’t want to be compared to Israel Folau

September 20, 2017

DON’T call me the new “Izzy”.

That is the humble sentiment from Tautau Moga as the Broncos hulk prepares for a grand-final qualifier on Friday night against the Melbourne club that launched Israel Folau’s NRL career.

As quiet as a church mouse, Moga has been Brisbane’s silent assassin this season, overcoming the trauma of three knee reconstructions to play 26 consecutive games in their surge to the preliminary final.

The comparisons with Folau, however daunting, are understandable.

At 194cm and 103kg, Moga is one centimetre taller and one kilogram heavier than Folau, the former Storm tryscoring ace now starring with the Wallabies.

But the Broncos centre blushes at anything beyond physical parallels.

Folau is a dual international who excelled in State of Origin. Moga is content just to survive one full season of NRL after four injury-plagued years that could have easily consigned him to early retirement.

“I don’t like being compared to ‘Izzy’ (Folau),” Moga said.

“He is a great player but I’d rather try and make my own way.

“I don’t like being compared to anyone else, I’m just happy to play my game and hopefully that’s good enough.

“I’m proud of the way I’ve been able to fight back from the injuries. I’m not a guy who says much ... I’m just glad to still be playing in the NRL.”

An $80,000 cut-price recruit from the Cowboys, Moga has forged a lethal centre alliance with James Roberts.

The duo have scored 28 tries between them this season, but Moga faces a daunting assignment marking Storm Test flyer Will Chambers in the biggest night of his 58-game NRL career.

“We are still alive and I’m just happy to be in the finals again,” said Moga, who has scored 10 tries this season and improved his defensive reads against Penrith last week.

“It’s been a really good year for me here. I was pretty lucky to get the opportunity to come to the Broncos and I just wanted to pay (coach) Wayne (Bennett) back.

“Wayne has been good for me. He knows his stuff and I have gone off the coaching he gives me. I just do what he says and it’s worked for me.

“He pinpoints what he wants from me and I just go out and try to execute when he wants.”

Moga’s renaissance at the Broncos attracted a more lucrative contract from the Knights and the former Samoan international admits he will leave Brisbane at season’s end with a heavy heart.

“It will be hard to move on,” he said. “But that’s footy, everyone has to pack up and move on sometimes and that’s happened for me.

“It’s nice to have my future sorted out. The Knights gave me some security. I spoke to Wayne about staying but what is done is done and I want to finish the year off with the Broncos on a good note.

“It would mean a lot to make a grand final, I’m just happy to be still in with a chance and hopefully I don’t let the Broncos down this week.”

Source: Courier Mail

Don't worry mate, we won't.....

Thought Folau was massively over rated but at least he could kind of defend, occasionally pass and could side step. Also wouldn't give away a penalty or an error every game at the worst times...

But appreciate your metres moga and you kinda look like Folau :-/

His knees couldn't handle the weight of expectation...

Probably a bit harsh

No offense Tautau, but I'd take 1 Folau over 3 of you

No wonder Folau won't come back
If he keeps getting insulted like this

Old mate couldn't tie up Folau's shoelaces.

But having feet for hands will do that to you.

How much did Folau cost? I would take a minimum wage Moga over him all day.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.