More Sydney clubs will merge within the next decade - Gould

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/brad-f...-for-nrl/c0bdd8ce-9a5f-439d-afed-8dbeec735c67

Phil Gould has predicted that two more Sydney NRL clubs will be forced to merge within the next decade.

Gould, Brad Fittler and Peter Sterling were asked to make a prediction for the next 10 years of rugby league on Nine's The Greatest.

Gould, the general manager of Penrith Panthers until last year, believes that having nine Sydney clubs won't be possible into the future.

"My news isn't so great. I think we'll see two Sydney clubs, two more mergers in Sydney," Gould said.

"I think we'll see a reduction of teams in Sydney over the next 10 years. It's unsustainable and clubs won't survive. They'll either die or have to merge, they'll be in that situation."

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F9cdb39f2-e81e-4ffc-9b50-5b2d4211e9ca

Phil Gould, during his last tenure with Penrith Panthers. (AAP)
Sydney clubs should have a fighting chance with plans to relaunch the NRL on May 28. When the league was facing the potential of a lost season, meaning a $500 million black hole, Gould warned that not every club would survive.

Most Sydney clubs have been hit hard by the closure of leagues clubs during the COVID-19 lockdown, putting even strong organisations like Parramatta, Penrith and Canterbury under strain. Manly owner Scott Penn, long rumoured to be seeking a buyer for the Sea Eagles, has been outspoken about the risk of NRL clubs going under.

South Sydney is in a sound position, with Russell Crowe and James Packer sharing a 75 per cent private ownership stake. So too are Sydney Roosters, backed by Easts Group but with Nick Politis as their wealthy and powerful chairman.

Which clubs will enter 2 head mode? I'm thinking Manly and Cronulla fans might wanna get their sphincters ready.

What a great idea, found some more none profitable clubs !

Any team that plays out of a shitty suburban stadium still should be merged. If you have shitty facilities, you're not earning enough, bugger off.

None will merge, the NRL hasn’t got the guts to do it after the Bears and Souths fiascos.

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  • Fozz
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.